• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist history

Guest Guest

• Members

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The New Testament Church started with Christ and carried on as the New Testament Church since. True IBF Churches are the New Testament Church today. However, regardless of the name if a Church holds to the Bible (for real, not in word only) it is a New Testament Church.

Read informaiton on the Waldensens from there you can track the N.T. Church back to Apostles. Robert Sargent and the Late Gary Prisk my be Baptist Briders but they still have some good information.

I recommend The Trail of Blood. it is a good short pamphlet on Church history. We were named Ana Baptist by those that murdered our bretheren. Ana dropped off to just Baptist.

It was mentioned that there is no evidence tracing the N.T. Church back to the time of Christ. Matthew 16:18 is all the evidence I need that the N.T. Church has continued regardless the name since Christ.

God Bless

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Thanks for your reply. Was your username "savedman" or something like that on the other forum? I think I remember you from over there. :smile It's nice to see you here. My husband and I are doing very well.

Yes, that was me. I am glad you and your husband are doing well.

Tony

• Members

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matt 28:20 (KJV)

Jesus promised to be with His Church to the end and I am with you alway, its quite impossible for him to do this if His churches are not present thru out this church age.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matt 16:18 (KJV)

Jesus said that the gates of hell would never prevail against His church, if His church stopped existing at any time, this would not be a true statement

21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
Eph 3:21 (KJV)

If Christ Jesus is going to be glorified throughout all ages in the church it is necessary for it to continue to the end.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
John 14:16-17 (KJV)

According to this verse the Holy Spirit is going to abide with us till the end of this age, and shall not leave until the end of this church age, at which time it will be withdrawn with the church.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
2 Thess 2:7 (KJV)

Seems very clear, if Jesus' Church ceased to exist at any time period in this church age, old Satan would have won a major battle for we have the promise it will be present in this world to the end of this church age. So we can be assured that Jesus church has never ceases to exist since He Himself started it during His ministry on this earth.
Even the man who founded the church of Christ said this, Mr. Alexander Campbell.

"We can find an unbroken series of Protestants, a regular succession of those who protest against the corruption of the Roman Catholic Church, and endeavored to the first schism, 251 A. D., to the present day." Campbell-Purcell, page 77.

Hear Mr. Campbell in his debate with McCalla.
From the apostolic age to the present times, the sentiments of Baptist, and their practice of baptism, have had a continued chain of advocate and public monuments of their existence in every century can be produced.

Strange, even Mr. Campbell the founder of the false teaching church of Christ admits the proof was there that we who are know as the Baptist in modern time have been present thru out this church age but yet many Baptist says there has not been a unbroken succession of churches who teach as we do thru out this church age.

Try reading F. L. Duponts book on Church Perpetuity in which he introduces evidence that the people know as Baptist have been around since the days of Christ in an unbroken uninterrupted succession who gives proof of this from historians who were not Baptist.

To many just accept what sounds logical to them that is stated by the enemies of Christ and true Bible teachings without doing the proper research, that is the easy way.

Guest Guest

Hello, brothers and sisters in Christ! Kayla, your posts are wonderfully, accurate! :smile It is essentiall, too, for people to take note of your last sentence, "Brother I think knowing about your Baptist heritage is important, be careful what you read and check it out with several sources". :thumb Might I add, that the world will "try" to fool you...if you let them. It is sad that many Baptists don't even know that they originated in the days of Jesus Christ! The IFB is the Lord's "true" church...and, the KJV 1611 AV is His written word. Although, I recogonize that many people come to Christ through different denominations...the doctrine the the IFB is the most accurate!

Also, many peeps know about the evangelist, Brother Bruce Musselman that "sealed the deal" with my salvation on May 9, 2003. For the poster, he is a theologean, historian, teacher of the Bible, and was raised in the IFB. He was saved at 3 1/2 years old...and, has a wonderful testimony of The Lord Jesus Christ. You may listen to his 6 part series on-line at my church. You will gain much knowledge in Baptist history. The website for my church is... http://www.crbc-online.org. If you scroll down to "Listen On-Line"...it is the 7th area down in that section. Brother Bruce's sermon's are in the Wednesday night section. You will gain much information from him...believe me, he knows his history. :smile Also, he is on the radio in Cleveland, OH...1220 A.M. on Thursday nights at 8:00 P.M. (Eastern time)...if you can hear it via satelite? Sorry peeps about the redundancy...but, I wanted to post my church website for the poster. Also, welcome to you! :wave: In Christ's amazing love. :bible::clap:

candlelight

Hello...fellow brothers and sisters in Christ! I promised Christians the "proof" they need. I have not seen brother Bruce Musselman...because he is on the "circuit" again. He has been preaching in Pennsylvania. As soon as I see him, I will get the documentation on Baptist history. Thanks, and God bless! :smile :wave:

candlelight

• Members
Baptismal Mode is the main issue I have with several other denominations. Baptism is the very picture of the death, burial, and resurrection of our Saviour. You can't taint that. Our forefathers died because they wouldn't let their babies be baptized, and they died the by very hands of protestants and Catholics alike. You know Martin Luther was actually for immersion until he found out that his contemporary Baptist ancestors believed that way. And I actually have the quote somewhere where he said he couldn't be for immersion because that is what they believed.

Incidentally, I read a really good article written by a evangelist in a Canadian online newspaper on July 4th, here it is:
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3807

you know kyla, i have to sneak on your back just to pick up those references you are giving to others. it is very informative for a man who is eagerly searching for additional knowledge of the history. anyway i think theres nothing wrong in knowing your history aside from reading the Bible. i just want to pack myself if somebody ask me about our history (specially catholics who keep insisting that we were pop up like mushrooms in reformation).

please continue throwing those links, somebody is picking it up .

thanks

• Members

In the early part of the 3rd century the folks knows as the RCC were drive out from among Jesus 1st churches because of their false teachings. After which they formed alliance with the state under Emperor Constantine the Great, about the year A D 312. The 1st General Council was the Council of Nice, held in the year A D 325. The 1st universal bishop or pope was enthroned in A D 606 or according to corrected chronology 610. Boniface 3 was made pope by Emperor Phocas. The Catholics claim to be the "Mother Church," but as a church, they were never closer to Jesus than A D 250 or 251. In the year A D 756, the pope of Catholicism became temporal sovereign.

From 'Baptist Doctrine,' by E. C. Gillentine, page 72, copyrighted 1949.

• Members
In the early part of the 3rd century the folks knows as the RCC were drive out from among Jesus 1st churches because of their false teachings. After which they formed alliance with the state under Emperor Constantine the Great, about the year A D 312. The 1st General Council was the Council of Nice, held in the year A D 325. The 1st universal bishop or pope was enthroned in A D 606 or according to corrected chronology 610. Boniface 3 was made pope by Emperor Phocas. The Catholics claim to be the "Mother Church," but as a church, they were never closer to Jesus than A D 250 or 251. In the year A D 756, the pope of Catholicism became temporal sovereign.

From 'Baptist Doctrine,' by E. C. Gillentine, page 72, copyrighted 1949.

Not to forget the Orthodox who claim they are the one true church! They claim the Catholics went bad while the Orthodox held to the proper traditions. The Orthodox rejected the Pope and the whole idea of a Pope.

• Members
I am sure that most of us have seen this. But I thought that I would post it for those who have not.

http://www.biblepreaching.com/trailofblood.html

i just finished reading that book and it is really informative.

i actually mentionedl it to my catholic groups but they said im lying and possesing a wrong spirit. they rebute it one by one but what they are doing is really natural and expected. i am about to verify one by one if all those dates and info are true since i am searching for the truth. that book is great thought i have to dig more so that i can discuss it to my catholics friends but not this time. because of that book, i print all the history of orthodox catholic history in wikipedia and i finished reading it.

Guest Guest

Not to forget the Orthodox who claim they are the one true church! They claim the Catholics went bad while the Orthodox held to the proper traditions. The Orthodox rejected the Pope and the whole idea of a Pope.

:amen::goodpost:

candlelight

• Members

i just finished reading that book and it is really informative.

i actually mentionedl it to my catholic groups but they said im lying and possesing a wrong spirit. they rebute it one by one but what they are doing is really natural and expected. i am about to verify one by one if all those dates and info are true since i am searching for the truth. that book is great thought i have to dig more so that i can discuss it to my catholics friends but not this time. because of that book, i print all the history of orthodox catholic history in wikipedia and i finished reading it.

Of course they rebuke you, they are of their father, the devil, the Catholics have been liars from the beginning.

They destroyed many records and rewrote records trying to put their self in the light, but they are still walking in the darkness of the devil whom they follow.

They also murdered many true believers, there was no end to what they would do to be "The Church," they wanted to rule the world, but thankfully our Father is stronger than their father and they did not prevail.

I just don't believe you will win them by debating about when the church started, the only way to win them is get them saved one at a time. For you see, the truth is hidden from the lost.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2 Cor 4:3-4 (KJV)