• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No pictures of any created thing?

• Members

Deuteronomy 7:25-26 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God. Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.

hen ye shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their pictures, and destroy all their molten images, and quite pluck down all their high places: Num 33:52

Mockery does take place in the Writ. And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he [is] a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, [or] peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. 1Ki 18:27

And in Job 41 you have: 4, Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? 5, Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?6, Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

This is sarcasm and mockery pure and simple dealing with the Leviathan (Satan the great dragon) and both are used all though the Bible. Sure some mockery is wrong. Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous [there is] favour. Pro 14:9

But the original thread was about having pictures of creation. If I was told this by some one who believed it. My Chicagoan reply would be, Are you nuts, what about your TV set? This is called the 2 by 4 approach and it is biblical. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Pro 26:4

I do the same thing with the “wafer god” when I street preach. I will ask, at the top of my lungs, what happen to your wafer after you eat him and digest him and then where he go. I do not quote verses from John six. My calling is to sow, I preach with large sandwich sign over my body (Heb. 9:27). The human race is nuts and blinded by the god of this world. My grandpa down south had only a 4th grade education, but he had common sense, he pray over his meals, his crops and his last words were O sweet Jesus, Sweet Jesus. That old Tennessee hillbilly is not like the men today.

Sure, if they will let you, show them Scripture and where these pictures and idols may lead, while the Scripture does not say what was on these pictures. It had nothing to do with creation, perhaps fornication or their gods.

Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Deu 12:30 This is why they were to destroy them.

Israel went from inquiring to serving and burning their children in fire. This is where idolatry begins (curiosity) and why God told them to destroy people, pictures and all. Sadly, Israel curiosity lead to their down fall.

I mention bonnets out of humor, friends of mine, some who have read the BOOK over a 100 times and love and serve the Lord,  have a sense of humor. Our fellowship, humor, problems, doctrines and all are based around the Book. And when I suggest to a pastor friend of mine that perhaps he should call his church The First Baptist Church of Bonnets, He laughed that is humor. And I meant it as such.

• Members

I will try this one more time because I feel I did not do a good job explaining myself. I have no problem with sarcasm or humour when appropriate.

My point was you are mocking someone who is attempting to apply an actual Bible command - which is a bad thing. Do you mock the OT priests for doing the EXACT same thing? It would be better to explain WHY something no longer applies. When you mock a command in the Bible, you are mocking God's Word. Though it seems you use mockery, sarcasm, etc. when you can't really explain or defend something Biblically.