• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
58 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Mt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

I notice that Jesus is capitalized here.  I just wondered that since there are many people named Jesus whether we should refer to Him more with his title and not just his name.  

• Administrators

I do not think it wrong to refer to Him either way. I posted the Scripture as this was the way that God, the Holy Spirit chose to introduce Him to the world. I also think that referring to Him by only the name Jesus or by His name as well as His title mostly depends on how He being spoken of. For instance, when speaking of Him as the Messiah it would be entirely correct to use His name and title in full, but also not wrong to refer to Him as Jesus. So, in our writing or speech how we depict Him and who we depict Him as could be the determining factor.

• Members

I just performed a quick search (in Matthew) of the name Jesus on my phone's Bible program. This is just an estimate, because I didn't do the actual math. However, I would venture to say that 99% of the instances in which Jesus' name is mentioned, it is his name alone...without Christ (or another title or identifier) attached to his name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, Baptistsenior said:

I notice that Jesus is capitalized here.  I just wondered that since there are many people named Jesus whether we should refer to Him more with his title and not just his name.  

I don't think people get confused. Isn't the Spanish name pronounced "Hay-soos" when it's a person and not Jesus Christ?

• Moderators
On 5/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, Salyan said:

I don't think people get confused. Isn't the Spanish name pronounced "Hay-soos" when it's a person and not Jesus Christ?

Quick Spanish and Catholic lesson here. All jotas (Js) are pronounced as an H (haches, Hs, are silent). Jesus (pronounced Hay-soos) IS the name Jesus (Gee-sus). Catholics name many of their children after "saints", apostles, prophets and yes -- the Lord. They see it as a blessing instead of blasphemy. In a Spanish Bible Jesus is spelled Jesus, Jesus Christ is Jesucristo,