• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 1:7, Mourning of the House of Israel.

• Members

Revelation 1:7, “Godly Sorrow”

Revelation 1:7. “Behold, he cometh with clouds and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.” The coming of the Lord Jesus in the clouds when every eye shall see Him is a description of the Lord Jesus coming as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as written in Revelation 19:11-21.

The destruction of the nations that come against Jerusalem occurs in Revelation 19:11-21 “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” Revelation 19:15 “… that with it he should smite the nations: …” is the fulfillment of Zechariah 12:9, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.”

In verse 17 & 18 we read of the loud voice of the angel for the fowls of the air to eat the slain bodies. The is the fulfillment of Ezekiel 39:1-7, 17-29, Isaiah 34:1-8 and Zechariah 14:1-3. “…KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.” The Lord Jesus is coming back to the earth as King. This is in fulfillment of the prophecy of Zechariah 14:9, “And the LORD shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.”

“… and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.”

Zechariah 12:9-14, “Godly Sorrow”

Verse 9-14, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; The family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart; All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart.”

The Apostle Paul stated, “For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.” The Jewish remnant will have the godly sorrow of repentance unto salvation. “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.” Romans 11:26 & 27

While the Lord Jesus was on the cross, this prophecy of the Jews seeing Christ pierced by Zechariah 12:10 was fulfilled. “And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.” John 19:37 What was not fulfilled at the cross of Christ was the rest of Zechariah 12:9-14. The rest of Zechariah 12:9-14 will be fulfilled in Israel after the events of Revelation 19:11-21

• Zechariah 12:10 was not fully fulfilled at the cross. “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

• Zechariah 12:11-14 was not fulfilled at the cross, “In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart; The family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart, the family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart; All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart.

Zechariah 13:6, “The Wounds of Christ”

Zechariah 13:6, “And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.”

The Lord Jesus plainly states that He, “... was wounded in the house of my friends.” After the return of Christ as depicted in Revelation 19:11-21, the remnant of the Jews will see the visible wounds of Christ. The Jews will see the wounds in His hands and the Lord Jesus will say, “Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.” Lost or saved, the Lord Jesus does not consider the Jews His enemies. Lost or saved, the Lord Jesus does not consider the Jew ‘anti-Christ.’ Lost or saved, the Lord Jesus considers the Jews His friends.

And it shall come to pass in that day …”

In Zechariah chapter 12 and 13, the phrase, “that day,” occurs eight times in reference to the fulfillment of the prophecies of these chapters; 12:3, 4, 6, 8 and 11; 13:1, 2 and 4

that day,” is a reference to the end times when God stops the captivity of the nation of Israel from the Gentile nations of the world and restores the Kingdom to Israel forever henceforth. “For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all nations, and I will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.” Joel 3:1 and 2

Pastor Steven Anderson

Among his other heresies in prophecy, Pastor Steven Anderson is a Preterist. Anderson teaches that the prophecies of Zechariah 12:9-14 were fulfilled in the days of Zechariah and Zechariah 12:10 was fulfilled at the cross.

In his commentary on Revelation 1:7 Anderson will not even mention Zechariah 12:9-14 nor will he mention Zechariah 13:6. Steven Anderson ignores biblical truth in order to deceive the saints. Like the Preterist, Pastor Anderson believes that the prophecies of Zechariah have already been fulfilled, historic, or is symbolic. As a classic Preterist, Anderson teaches that, as a nation, the Jews will not mourn, nor have godly sorrow, nor repent of their unbelief, nor be saved.

Concerning Zechariah 12:3-9, Pastor Anderson states, “The day we are talking about here is the day that Zechariah lives in.”i So, according to Anderson, and almost all Preterists, the events in Zechariah 12:3-9 are ‘historical.’

Anderson stated that Zechariah was just “encouraging” the Jews. “But, when we read in verse 6, “In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited in her own place, even in Jerusalem.” What’s he saying? This is before they are secure in the promised land. Zechariah is preaching and giving them encouragement, and assurance, saying, ‘You are going to be re-established in the promised land. Jerusalem gonna’ [sic] be blessed by God once again and chosen by God once again. And chosen by God once again [sic].’ This already happened, hundreds of years before Jesus walked on the earth it happened. So, don’t try and put this in the New Testament.”ii So, Anderson, like most Preterists, believe that this is also historical and not prophetical.

When it comes to prophecy, Pastor Anderson will not recognize that God is going to use the time of “Jacob’s Trouble,” commonly called, the “7-Year Tribulation Period,” to bring about the godly repentance of the remnant Jewish nation according to the prophecies of the prophets.

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: …” At the time of mourning of the nation of Israel the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:1-9 will come to pass. “They shall come with weeping and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.” Jeremiah 31:9

and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.” The prophet Zechariah is clearly referring to the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus was pierced in His side while on the Cross of Calvary for the sins of mankind and His wounds will still be visible to the Jews when He returns in Revelation 19:11-21. So, the Jews in that era will also look on the pierced hands of the Lord Jesus.

The Apostle John quotes Zechariah 12:10, “And again another scripture saith, they shall look on him whom they pierced.” John 19:37

The prophet Zechariah gives us further information of what would happen when the Lord reveals Himself to the nation of Israel. “And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.” Zechariah 13:6

In Amos 8:8 and 9 we read of the prophecy of the latter half of the Tribulation Period. In Amos 8:10 we read these words, “And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.” The prophecy of Amos in Amos 8:10 is a clear reference to the mourning of the Israel and the appearance of the Lord Jesus as revealed to Zechariah in 12:9-14.

A Time of Mourning for the Nation of Israel

The prophet Zechariah is very clear in his prophecy. The various tribes of Israel will mourn for their sins, the sins of their fathers, and have a national heart of repentance and godly sorrow. The words of Paul the Apostle will be fulfilled to the nation of Israel when he wrote these words, “For godly sorrow worketh repenteth to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.” 2 Corinthians 7:10

i Anderson, Steven Zechariah 12 copied on April 20, 2019 <https://soundcloud.com/bible-preaching/2016-01-27p-zechariah-12>

ii Anderson, Steven Zechariah 12 copied on April 20, 2019 <https://soundcloud.com/bible-preaching/2016-01-27p-zechariah-12>

Edited by Alan
grammar reference added the quotiation refererce

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When Jesus comes, we will come with him to kill the heathen at Armageddon.

Psalm 149:4-9

4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.

6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;

7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;

9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

• Members

Thank you for posting Psalm 149:4-9 Eric.

I think that we can include Psalm 149:5-9 in this discussion on Revelation 1:7. Any thoughts?

Edited by Alan
added the last sentence

• Members

Israel will have Jerusalem till the middle of the tribulation. See Revelation 11:1-2

1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Zechariah 14:1-5 (Mid Tribulation)

Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members

God is going to bring about the wisdom of Solomon in the hearts of the remnant of the Jews in the last half of the 7 year Tribulation Period. King Solomon said, "The heart of the wise is in the house of  mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth." Ecclesiastes 7: 4