• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A look at "this generation"...

• Members

Jesus was speaking of the Good and Evil Spiritual generations that exits together in all ages that come from every physical generation. The viper generation of his day was the same generation as their fathers and they were keeping their present and future physical children from being regenerated into the righteous generation that Christ would save and protect. He is not speaking of only one physical generation of people, whither of that present time or the endtime. These two spiritual generations existed together in one family with Cain and Able and exited side by side in Israel and will continue to exist together in Israel until Christ raises up a Spiritual Israelite generation form their children and removes the vipers from the land.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

1 Peter 1:22-25 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 but the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

1 Peter 2:9-10 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10 which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Hebrews 6:7-9 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: 8 but that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned. 9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

• Members

Jesus did not say “these generations”; He was speaking of a particular generation. It does not make sense to say He was referring to all generations, as He stated this one would not pass away until all these things be fulfilled. It would therefore be a non-prophecy, of no meaning, if what you are trying to say is what Jesus meant.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Jesus did not say “these generations”; 

True. If he was speaking of several physical generations then he would say generations but he was speaking of one whole evil generation. Physical generations are bound by their time but people in every generation within time can only be born Spiritually into two generations not bound by time. When reading the word "generation" the context shows the Spiritual state of each. He is speaking to physical people that live and die within a certain time frame but are part of a Spiritual generation that will last in Israel and on the earth until He does away with it.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

1 John 3:12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother’s righteous.

Matthew 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Take the concept with the understanding laid out of it in Isiah 26 of this time when the Israelite nation will be restored in righteousness but the Wicked generation is still there hindering it. God comes in indignation against the evil Israelite generation so that the righteous Israelite generation can flourish.

Isaiah 26 In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks. 2 Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in. 3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength: 5 for he bringeth down them that dwell on high; the lofty city, he layeth it low; he layeth it low, even to the ground; he bringeth it even to the dust. 6 The foot shall tread it down, even the feet of the poor, and the steps of the needy.

The way of the just is uprightness: thou, most upright, dost weigh the path of the just. 8 Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O Lord, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee. 9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. 10 Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the Lord. 11 Lord, when thy hand is lifted up, they will not see: but they shall see, and be ashamed for their envy at the people; yea, the fire of thine enemies shall devour them.

12 Lord, thou wilt ordain peace for usfor thou also hast wrought all our works in us. 13 O Lord our God, other lords beside thee have had dominion over us: but by thee only will we make mention of thy name. 14 They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish. 15 Thou hast increased the nation, O Lord, thou hast increased the nation: thou art glorified: thou hadst removed it far  unto all the ends of the earth. 16 Lord, in trouble have they visited thee, they poured out a prayer when thy chastening was upon them. 17 Like as a woman with child, that draweth near the time of her delivery, is in pain, and crieth out in her pangs; so have we been in thy sight, O Lord.18 We have been with child, we have been in pain, we have as it were brought forth wind; we have not wrought any deliverance in the earth; neither have the inhabitants of the world fallen. 19 Thy dead  men shall livetogether with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. 21 For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

Isaiah 27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

2 In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine. 3 I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day. 4 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battleI would go through them, I would burn them together. 5 Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root: Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.

7 Hath he smitten him, as he smote those that smote him? or is he slain according to the slaughter of them that are slain by him? 8 In measure, when it shooteth forth, thou wilt debate with it: he stayeth his rough wind in the day of the east wind. 9 By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up. 10 Yet the defenced city shall be desolate, and the habitation forsaken, and left like a wilderness: there shall the calf feed, and there shall he lie down, and consume the branches thereof. 11 When the boughs thereof are withered, they shall be broken off: the women come, and set them on fire: for it is a people of no understanding: therefore he that made them will not have mercy on them, and he that formed them will shew them no favour.

12 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall beat off from the channel of the river unto the stream of Egypt, and ye shall be gathered one by oneO ye children of Israel. 13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the great trumpet shall be blown, and they shall come which were ready to perish in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt, and shall worship the Lord in the holy mount at Jerusalem.

Edited by John Young

• Members
2 hours ago, robycop3 said:

I think it's safe to say in summary that Jesus was referring to the generation that'll be here when the eschatological events occur.

200% percent agree with you.

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Jesus  did not say "that generation"   But "this generation", the generation the was speaking to.

Context, context, context. Jesus was speaking about the end times and the generation of believers who would see these things be fulfilled.

• Members
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

Jesus  did not say "that generation"   But "this generation", the generation the was speaking to.

Thing is, much of the Olivet Discourse prophecies have yet to be fulfilled. They were NOT fulfilled while the generation living when Jesus came was still here. From Matt. 24:16 onward is yet to be fulfilled.

• Members
19 hours ago, Jerry said:

Context, context, context. Jesus was speaking about the end times and the generation of believers who would see these things be fulfilled.

Imagination.  Jesus was speaking about the generation he was speaking to, that which saw thetemple destroyd, same as Matthew 23.

• Members
16 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Thing is, much of the Olivet Discourse prophecies have yet to be fulfilled. They were NOT fulfilled while the generation living when Jesus came was still here. From Matt. 24:16 onward is yet to be fulfilled.

You keep saying that and it is just as false as it was the first time.  The future prophecy starts in verse 36 when Jesus answers  Matthew's later questions , 3b and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? The arnswer,  36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Note the word BUT indicating a change of emphasis.

• Members
6 hours ago, Invicta said:

You keep saying that and it is just as false as it was the first time.  The future prophecy starts in verse 36 when Jesus answers  Matthew's later questions , 3b and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? The arnswer,  36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Note the word BUT indicating a change of emphasis.

Sir, I have three encyclopediae before me: Encyclopedia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, & World Book. The occurremce of the eschatological events aren't found in any of them. Now, these are pretty major events, and history would not have missed tthem. That fact alone proves preterism false.

Now, if the great trib has already occurred, Jesus is long-overdue, according to His own words in Matt. 24:29-30. It astounds me that anyone of at least normal intelligence could believe anything goofy as preterism.

• Members
4 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Sir, I have three encyclopediae before me: Encyclopedia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, & World Book. The occurremce of the eschatological events aren't found in any of them. Now, these are pretty major events, and history would not have missed tthem. That fact alone proves preterism false.

Now, if the great trib has already occurred, Jesus is long-overdue, according to His own words in Matt. 24:29-30. It astounds me that anyone of at least normal intelligence could believe anything goofy as preterism.

...and it astounds me how anyone can believe that different "bible" versions, which say different things, and teach different doctrines could believe that such differences are okay.

• Members
14 hours ago, robycop3 said:

So you have three encylopaedias, but I have the bible.  Jesus said all those things would happen before this generation passed away. 

I don't disagree that the eschatological events have not happened.  The eschatological events begin at verse 36.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Based on the wording found in Matthew 24 and Luke 21, it is obvious Luke is referring to both events in the first century and the time of the tribulation; however, the context/words of Matthew 24 show that in that chapter the tribulation (and possible events leading directly up to it) are in view - even as a young Christian, this was obvious to me by taking these chapters at face value.

It is surprising that a regular member here does not believe that. What background are you coming from that gave you that view? It is certainly not Baptist or IFB.

Edited by Jerry

• Members
4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Based on the wording found in Matthew 24 and Luke 21, it is obvious Luke is referring to both events in the first century and the time of the tribulation; however, the context/words of Matthew 24 show that in that chapter the tribulation (and possible events leading directly up to it) are in view - even as a young Christian, this was obvious to me by taking these chapters at face value.

It is surprising that a regular member here does not believe that. What background are you coming from that gave you that view? It is certainly not Baptist or IFB.

I am Baptist but I was in the Plymouth Brethren for years and am well acquainted with your teaching which is not Baptist, but Brethren.

Just read the scriptures carefully, very carefully and forget your pre programmed views.

And to address Roby's offensive remarks I am not a preterist.  I believe that Revelation was written about AD 96 and no preterist believes that.

|I don't consider either of you to be baptist but neo Brethren.  i I have been there, done that, now I am free.