• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is writing fiction a sin?

• Members

Is writing and publishing fictional works (novels, short stories etc.) that are secular in nature (by 'secular' I mean not related to Christianity and not intentionally aimed at glorifying God) a sin? Share your opinions.

For example: fantasy novels about mythical creatures, science-fiction about robots and cyborgs, historical novels about wars and fighting etc.

• Members

I would not say fiction itself is a sin - though the content could very well be. If we are being entertained by stories about things the Bible defines as sin, then I would say that book/author is sinful.

For example, Jesus said to lust for someone else is to commit adultery in our hearts, and elsewhere we are told to flee fornication (ie. have nothing to do with it); then any type of fiction that in any way promotes lust (ie. characters lusting for one another, immodest descriptions of characters), or has characters involved in adultery, fornication, and now sodomy - which we are seeing become more and more prevalent - (and I would dare say, relationships based on those acts), would be sin. See Matthew 5.

The Bible teaches God’s people are not to practice magic of any sort - therefore being entertained by stories and movies, etc. where the main characters are practicing magic would be sin.

Edited by Jerry

• Members

Lucian, not sure why you chose the confused emoticon. The Bible teaches that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. See Proverbs 23:7.

If our fiction is based on evil (ie. the promotion of evil - characters performing evil, evil being the primary themes, worldviews based on evil philiosphies - evolution, man becoming gods, multiple gods, or to use the opposite philisophy - a worldview based on utter and complete chaos, etc.), then it is evil to dwell on those things. See Philippians 4:8.

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

You are asking a lot of disjointed questions.

It's a discussions community. I'm creating discussion threads. Isn't that what people do in an online discussions community? Is there a rule against asking 'disjointed questions'? If there is, do let me know, cause I like to obey the rules.

• Members

It is not discussion for the sake of discussion, it is to create fellowship over what the Bible says about various issues - basically to finetune our beliefs, find Biblical passages and principles for or against whatever issue is being discussed.

Are you posting questions because you want to find out what the Bible says about something and therefore adjust your beliefs and practices accordingly, or just being “religious” and talking about things with no desire to really find out the truth and apply it?

I hope 2 Timothy 3:7 is not applicable to you:

Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

i have met many people who,want to discuss and debate endlessly, and it is not profitable to entertain those kind of people - waste of time and resources. But I have also met people who want to dig into the Bible so they can grow spiritually and apply what they are learning - it is profitable to discuss Bible principles with them.

• Members

Fictional stories and writing fiction is not a sin in of itself. What would make it sinful is the content. Is the story glorifying something God has declared to be wicked or abominable? Is the story encouraging people to engage in sinful acts? Is the story following a hero/heroine who mocks God/Christianity and this mockery is seen as a positive thing? Are any of the characters morally reprehensible but held up as examples of good role models? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself to see if the book is sinful or not, and this includes some 'Christian' fiction. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Are you posting questions because you want to find out what the Bible says about something and therefore adjust your beliefs and practices accordingly, or just being “religious” and talking about things with no desire to really find out the truth and apply it?

Well, I do believe I'm a bit of both, but my situation is so complicated that even I can't understand it completely, so I'm not able to explain it... Well, not without writing an incredibly long post in which I explain my life story, something that I would rather not do for now.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Lucian, not sure why you chose the confused emoticon.

I have used the confused reaction emoticon because your previous reply states this:

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

then any type of fiction that in any way promotes lust (ie. characters lusting for one another, immodest descriptions of characters), or has characters involved in adultery, fornication, and now sodomy - which we are seeing become more and more prevalent - (and I would dare say, relationships based on those acts), would be sin.

The Bible contains chapters that promote lust (The Song Of Solomon / The Song Of Songs) and has characters involved in adultery, fornication and sodomy. Surely, you understand my confusion when being faced with the statement that any type of fiction that promotes lust is a sin, and the Bible falls into said category.

• Members

The Bible gives the accounts of some characters who got involved in sin - to relate what happened and the consequences thereof, in a discreet manner - not to promote lust or encourage sin. Song of Solomon is not about sex, but about fellowship, picturing our walk with the Lord.** It therefore does not promote lust or encourage sin. Sex scenes in fiction do both. Even characters pursuing one another lustfully encourages sin.

**Song of Solomon pictures our walk with the Lord, ending with His return to take His bride (using language picturing the rapture). If it describes sex, then it is a faulty picture at best, and at worst would be a form of erotica. How consistent would God be telling us to flee all forms of fornication, then writing an inspired book to fill our minds with it?

• Members

Why waste your time reading or writing fiction?  Real life is always better than any fiction story to read. I prefer to read printings, books, etc. that are meant to improve my life with Christ and better understand the Bible. Our church is currently going through the Old Testament this year, day by day.

• Members

I disagree that reading or writing fictional stories is a waste of time. I enjoy a variety of genres: non-fiction, fiction, historical, Christian, humor, etc...Many fictional stories are based on real life accounts as well. I'm in the process of writing a Christian fiction novel based on biblical people, so it's based on real people but the story is fictional. Even if the fictional stories are not based off real life, the stories can still be very compelling, especially if the hero/heroine is a good up-standing character who encourages others to do good/make morally correct decisions or has a mentor that does the same for the hero/heroine.

• Members

Guys, I'm learning something new. I honestly had no clue that watching some movies can be sinful, I thought it wasn't that dangerous given that I would never do what those people do in movies. I thought it's just pure, harmless entertainment. But now I kinda worry over spending hours enjoying this sort of thing (btw I watch thrillers, psychological stuff, nothing gory but still I do enjoy violence in movies which is a concern).

As for fiction, I have a huge soft spot for romance, to be honest. Nothing explicit though, I find that disgusting but I love the soft romance type too much. 

• Members

The Bible teaches we are to turn away from graphic violence - that would certainly fit some movies, tv shows, and video games.

Psalm 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; itshall not cleave to me.

Sorry, it has been so long since I looked up verses on this topic that I can’t remember what they are or what word or phrase to look for (and my ipad is freezing up, grrr!). Perhaps some other members here might be able to think of some appropriate passages.

A couple general verses worth reading are Psalm 119:37 and Philippians 4:8.

• Administrators

I am so thankful that my original missionary pastor was as learned and spiritual as he was. There came a time when he decided that he would teach on the Song of Solomon for our young church. He was wise enough to know that this book was very special, not to be taken lightly and should only be presented to his church once they were spiritually mature enough to understand it. Thus he did not go into this book while the church was still in its missionary stage, but instead he waited for a number of years after we had organized into a NT church.

In preparation for his teaching series on this book he was extremely careful to prepare the church membership for a proper, Godly understanding of what they were about to study. It seems like I can still hear the words of caution he used, although he has gone to be with The Lord many years now. I remember him pointedly telling his flock that this book was very unique and a proper understanding of it in any study should, in the very first instance, be undertaken by a Godly and Spiritually mature teacher. This was the first prerequisite,  the second was that those being taught should be spiritually mature enough to understand that although this book may contain language that was sexual in nature, it was not about sex.