• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preterism - Phony as a Ford Corvette!

• Members

The doctrine known as preterism is yet another false doctrine created by Satan to both cheapen the return of Jesus and to cast doubt upon God's word.

What is preterism? it's the belief that all Biblical prophecy has already been fulfilled. "Full" preterists believe that Jesus has already returned, while "partial" preterists believe all has been fulfilled except Jesus' return.

But both views are false! Here are a few reasons why they're false:

Let's see what parts of the Olivet Discourse have come to pass...
Matt. 24: 2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
This came to pass literally in 70 AD. The Romans pulled the temple apart, believing there was gold concealed between its stones.

Matt. 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.
This is still going on right now.

Matt. 24:6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
There's been war/rumor of war since shortly after Jesus was here. While He was here, the Pax Romana was still ongoing. Now, the last hundred years has seen the two greatest wars ever, by far. And right at the end of WW1 was the greatest pandemic in history, that of the flu. While not as spectacular as that of the plague before it, it killed far more people. And among earthquakes, there was the huge explosion of Krakatoa in 1883, the Tokyo-Yokohama quake of 1923, the massive flood of China in 1931, to name a few.(Not to mention the various famines, many brought about because of war & natural disasters) Now, while these events seem far apart, they've actually occurred in a short span of time compared to the whole of the 2 millenia that've passed since Jesus was here.

Matt. 24:9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
I don't know who the "they" are, but I'll say it's the non-Christian peoples & nations. We know this started even while Jesus was here, as the Jews had the Romans kill Him, and shortly afterwards, the apostles were persecuted & slain, as were many other Christians such as Stephen. And there have been false prophets from that time onward. The lawlessness Jesus mentioned, I believe is the disregarding of proper Christian behavior, such as the huge acceptance of LGBTQ, false mega-ministries, etc. with a large number of congregations merely going thru the motions of worship, with their "services" more of a party than anything else.

Matt. 24: 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
The Gospel has been preached to MOST, not yet ALL the world, but it soon will be. You've likely seen the story of the missionary who illegally went ashore on North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal & was slain by its people. They have yet to hear the Gospel.
Matt.24:15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.
Now, we must differentiate this event from the destruction of Jerusalem already mentioned, and covered in Luke 21. First, here's what the AOD will be. gabriel told daniel it'll be when the evil ruler enters the temple, sets up his statue in it, & proclaims himself to be the only god there is. (At that time, his sidekick the false prophet, will institute the "mark of the beast" as he supernaturally makes his boss' statue speak.) Very shortly afterwards, the great trib will begin. OBVIOUSLY, THIS HAS NOT YET OCCURRED!
Remember, Jesus said in Luke 21 that when Jerusalem would be surrounded by armies, its destruction was at hand. Vespasian brought an army, which joined with another nearby army, to cause "armies" to surround J, but political chaos in Rome caused V to leave with the armies, with V named as Caesar shortly after. His son Titus returned to J with an army 8 months later, so those in jerusalem who chose to flee had 8 months between the sieges to do so; thus it's obvious that was NOT the hasty flight Jesus spoke of.

Please read Luke 21 CLOSELY.You'll see that ALL JUDEA was warned of coming devastation, which DID occur in 70-71 AD. Now, this was NOT the "great trib"! It was the "days of vengeance", proclaimed by Jesus against that generation of Jews, whom He charged with all the murders of the righteous from Abel to that time. A much-greater punishment on the Jews for murdering Jesus began a coupla generations later when Hadrian expelled the Jews from their land, with the Jews being hated & persecuted wherever they went for over 1800 years, culmination in the nazi holocaust.

If the destruction of Jerusalem & the temple in 70 AD was the great trib, then Jesus missed the bus, His words were incorrect, or both, for He said, in Matt. 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

We plainly see that the Olivet Discourse prophecies that HAVE come to pass have done so LITERALLY; thus, there's no valid reason to believe the others won't come to pass JUST-AS-LITERALLY! Reducing them to "symbolic/apocalyptic language" status is just plain silly!

The SIMPLE TRUTH is those events have NOT YET OCCURRED! Thus, preterism remains phony as a Ford Corvette!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/7/2019 at 4:51 AM, DaveW said:

Hey friend, why not drop into the introductions section and let us know something about your testimony and your current affiliations. 

Then people can welcome you in one place.

Did so, Dave. Thanx.

• Members

Many preterists  hold the belief that Nero was the "beast/antichrist/man of sin".  I'm in discussion with one such gent on another site. I have posted both Scripture and historical facts about Nero's life that PROVE he could NOT have been the beast. Despite the overwhelming evidence, this gent still holds to that incorrect belief.

Some of that proof is that Scripture says the beast will enter the temple & exalt himself above anyone/anything that's ever been worshipped.  And it's known that Nero was never in jerusalem in his life, and that he worshipped the Roman pantheon of idols. Also, Scripture says the beast & his sidekick the false prophet will be cast alive into the lake of fire.  But it's well-known that Nero DIED, having had his secretary Ephphroditus stab him with a sword.

I believe every Christian reading this knows that all Bublical prophecy must be fulfilled exactly, to the letter, and, while Nero was a bad boy, he didn't come close to fulfilling all the Scriptural criteria for the 'beast'. That's why it's incomprehensible to me why that gent still believes Nero was the beast.

• Members
45 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

Many preterists  hold the belief that Nero was the "beast/antichrist/man of sin".  I'm in discussion with one such gent on another site. I have posted both Scripture and historical facts about Nero's life that PROVE he could NOT have been the beast. Despite the overwhelming evidence, this gent still holds to that incorrect belief.

Some of that proof is that Scripture says the beast will enter the temple & exalt himself above anyone/anything that's ever been worshipped.  And it's known that Nero was never in jerusalem in his life, and that he worshipped the Roman pantheon of idols. Also, Scripture says the beast & his sidekick the false prophet will be cast alive into the lake of fire.  But it's well-known that Nero DIED, having had his secretary Ephphroditus stab him with a sword.

I believe every Christian reading this knows that all Bublical prophecy must be fulfilled exactly, to the letter, and, while Nero was a bad boy, he didn't come close to fulfilling all the Scriptural criteria for the 'beast'. That's why it's incomprehensible to me why that gent still believes Nero was the beast.

Oh dear...now I can't even trust you about the falsehood of Preterism...

https://www.corvetteonline.com/news/ever-seen-a-ford-powered-c5-z06-vette-nows-your-chance/

• Members
8 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Why are you asking such a question? After all...you're a "Senior Member" here, and as such, you should know me well enough to know the answer to such a silly-willy question.

Not surprised ya didn't answer.

• Members

Generally agree to what Robycop said above - the seven year time of tribulation as portrayed in the book of Revelation and other passages is yet future and will be literally fulfilled.

Did notice you made a comment about the antichrist making the statue he sets up in the temple speak. The Tim Lahaye books (and possibly others) portray that, but the Bible does not actually say that the statue will speak or do anything - just that it will desecrate the temple, and start the second half of the tribulation referred to as the Great Tribulation.

• Members
4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Generally agree to what Robycop said above - the seven year time of tribulation as portrayed in the book of Revelation and other passages is yet future and will be literally fulfilled.

Did notice you made a comment about the antichrist making the statue he sets up in the temple speak. The Tim Lahaye books (and possibly others) portray that, but the Bible does not actually say that the statue will speak or do anything - just that it will desecrate the temple, and start the second half of the tribulation referred to as the Great Tribulation.

I was going by Rev. 13: 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. 15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

(The "he" here is the beast from the earth, the false prophet, the sidekick of the beast from the sea. The beast from the sea will be the actual antichrist, man of sin, "that Wicked", etc.)