• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hubs in the hospital...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I hope there is someone to fill in for him at church. He probably won't be up and around for some time.

We have a guest speaker set for tomorrow morning. Thankfully, the pastor of the church that started this one will send men as needed, and on a week-by-week basis.

• Administrators

That is a wonderful resource LuAnne. Thanks for posting it, i was worried. Tell Randy I hope he heals quickly. I hope the fall didn't damage his knees, they can keep you down for some time. I had a fall last summer and fell again on the same knee this winter. It took extensive rehab to get back to where I am now, which isn't great, but a lot better than it was for months.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

That is a wonderful resource LuAnne. Thanks for posting it, i was worried. Tell Randy I hope he heals quickly. I hope the fall didn't damage his knees, they can keep you down for some time. I had a fall last summer and fell again on the same knee this winter. It took extensive rehab to get back to where I am now, which isn't great, but a lot better than it was for months.

Thank you so much for the concern! I will pass it on to Randy. He didn't fall on his knees, thankfully. I'm glad you are doing better.

• Administrators

After I visited Randy today (I still can't stay long with him because our road is still icky, even though beginning to melt. We still slip and slide...), the doctor called me. I had just missed him. He wanted to let me know a few things...

First, they have taken Randy off all blood thinners for right now because of the hematoma. It is still bleeding, and they have to bring it under control. The day doctor and the night doctor have both consulted with the Seattle hematologist who worked with Randy 2 years ago, and the day doctor also consulted with another hematologist. They are all in agreement about this: Randy needs to get back on a blood thinner because of Factor V, and his DVT. But the anti-coagulants that self-administer stay in the system a while, so if there is a bleed they can't do anything til it's out of the system. The doc told me that the best one for this situation is IV heparin, because they can stop it quickly. So...

He is ordering a CAT scan for tomorrow, to see if the bleed is stopping and the hematoma is shrinking. If it is, his order is to administer IV heparin.

He does have injury to the muscle where the hematoma is located, as well.

The doctor told me he's lost so much blood that he is now anemic. His count was a bit lower today than yesterday, and if it goes much lower he will need a transfusion. The doc was not majorly worried about that (or at least he was downplaying it for me LOL).

He was more concerned with the elevation of the CK enzyme (creatine kinase) due to the muscle damage. Too high a level can cause damage to the kidneys, so he is having that watched closely, and has Randy on IV liquids to help lower it.

So, while the DVT is a concern, it is necessarily taking a back seat to these other issues for the moment.

• Administrators

@Matt Souza - thank you. Prayer is the best thing all around right now!  I so appreciate it, and your offer.

I visited Randy a bit today. There were a couple of men from our church there, which was nice. After they left, we talked for a few minutes, but he got really sleepy. He had a rough night, so he went to sleep. I read for a while, waiting for him to wake up.

They took him down this morning for a CAT scan on his leg. We were waiting for the results. The doc never came in, but the nurse told me the results. The hematoma is still bleeding. It has not gotten any worse, praise the Lord, but it hasn't gotten any better. They took him off all his blood-thinners and are giving him Vit. K to try and get it to stop bleeding. He can't have the IV heparin until the bleeding stops, so the hematoma and the DVT have no chance to even begin dissolving.

His CK count is down a bit, but still almost 17x too high. He is still anemic, and will remain so until the bleeding stops (he might need a transfusion as well). And now they are giving him insulin, so apparently his blood sugar has gone wonky.

Happily, he was able to take 3 walks today - from the bed to the door, so not very far. But it's progress. After the last one, his pain level was at 7, so he was happy to get the pain medicine.

I thank you for the prayer. I am so thankful that there are people all over the world praying for him. He's only been in the hospital for 4 days, but this house is sure lonely without him. God is most definitely helping me to deal with this, although I am a bit weepy.  I have to admit that I'm scared. I know God is in control, though, and am thankful for that.

It's supposed to sleet here tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll get to go visit him.

• Administrators

Hang in there HC, you are right, God is in control and does answer prayer. With the weather the way it is please don't push yourself. It does Randy no good if you have an accident or medical problem also.

Prayers still coming your way.