• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Aside from Sunday morning services.....

• Members
On 2/4/2019 at 12:14 AM, DaveW said:

Thoughts people?

How can we (biblically of course) find a way to help people see the importance of the other services?

I do a lot of expository preaching and I try to find something in the passage, usually a story, or an incident, that shows that the scriptures, and the truths contained therein, are for our good.

I would like to mention two scripture verses to point out my thoughts.

Moses said, "And the LORD commanded us to do these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day." Deuteronomy 6:24

Paul said, "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come." 1 Corinthians 10:11

In our work on the field, when we first started the work, we did not always have a Wednesday night service for several reasons. So, our experience is not so great a scale as in numbers. But, we have seen some good spiritual growth, and we have experienced, on a small scale, that once saints realize that the scriptures are  beneficial for our well being, and that further attendance, or work in the church, is good for their spiritual development, and family life, than they may want to come out of joy to learn more and not come out of duty.

I still remember the day when some of the folks in our latest work, even though small in numbers, decided among themselves to start doing some of the maintenance work on the building, attend visitation services, and help with the daily routine of starting a church. These blessings started when the folks that were saved started to see that the scriptures were written for our good, and that serving the Lord out of a heart of love, and not duty, was a blessing to their lives.

Edited by Alan
our to out

• Members
16 hours ago, Alan said:

I still remember the day when some of the folks in our latest work, even though small in numbers, decided among themselves to start doing some of the maintenance work on the building, attend visitation services, and help with the daily routine of starting a church. These blessings started when the folks that were saved started to see that the scriptures were written for our good, and that serving the Lord out of a heart of love, and not duty, was a blessing to their lives.

Indeed, when the Lord Himself became the first love-priority of their lives.  There is always a distinct difference in attitude and behavior when this occurs.

• Members

"Aside from Sunday morning services....."

In regard to the tittle, if the question is to which service time would be most "required" or commanded, then Sunday Evening service would be more biblical than Sunday morning, as it fulfills the request of Paul and its the only service time Jesus attended after his resurrection. 

However in regard to requirements, Christians aren't required to to do anything they don't want to. What they SHOULD do is a different matter.

• Moderators

In my own experience, I found that, when I finally decided to get serious about my walk with the Lord, I WANTED to be in service, as much as possible. At the time, there was something going on just about 7-days a week at our church, and I got involved in many of them, though clearly, I couldn't do them all. 

But my point is, I WANTED to get in because in my heart, I was ready to get in. My pastor's preaching, which was always excellent, didn't change, I changed. Before that I spent a lot of time under excellent preaching not getting much from it, because MY heart wasn't ready. But when I was, I wanted to be there, Sunday, evening and morning, and Wednesday, and special meetings, and visitation. And I lament, til this day, all the time I wasted before that, and these are the things I try to instill in the young men in our church, the importance of making that decision to put Jesus on the pedestal of our lives, to follow Him, and to get in while young and strong. Sadly, it too often falls on deaf ears. Video games and cars and overtime and family events are all too important. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

In my own experience, I found that, when I finally decided to get serious about my walk with the Lord, I WANTED to be in service, as much as possible. At the time, there was something going on just about 7-days a week at our church, and I got involved in many of them, though clearly, I couldn't do them all. 

But my point is, I WANTED to get in because in my heart, I was ready to get in. My pastor's preaching, which was always excellent, didn't change, I changed. Before that I spent a lot of time under excellent preaching not getting much from it, because MY heart wasn't ready. But when I was, I wanted to be there, Sunday, evening and morning, and Wednesday, and special meetings, and visitation. And I lament, til this day, all the time I wasted before that, and these are the things I try to instill in the young men in our church, the importance of making that decision to put Jesus on the pedestal of our lives, to follow Him, and to get in while young and strong. Sadly, it too often falls on deaf ears. Video games and cars and overtime and family events are all too important. 

Amen, and AMEN!  This is as I have been trying to communicate - The issue IS a heart-priority issue.

• Members

Growing up, the church I attended only had Sunday morning service (with sunday school).  Maybe a lot of people don't realize it's different sermons each time? They don't see the importance of attending as many services as you can. Providing good health. Our church is broadcast live online. So if we miss a sermon we're able to catch up online. Not very many churches at all that do that.  Not every one is at the same stage of spiritual growth to want to attend 3-4 times a week. As you grow spiritually, speaking for myself, you can't get enough true Biblical preaching! 

• Members

Though I have no issue with a church having a midweek or Sunday night service. The number of times a church meets is up to the church. The early church met daily,  not just on Sunday. However,  there is no mandate in scripture other than Sunday.

With that said,  we are definitely in a time where the church is dying, pastors treat the ministry as a job and the people want to be entertained. There are over 80 Independent Baptist churches in a 30 minute radius of my home and none are worth attending. I lived an hour away previously and there were over 100 churches and I only found 1 that preached the Word. 

We are definitively in the Laodecian Period, the false Church that God is going to spew out of his mouth 

• Members
13 hours ago, Miss Daisy said:

Growing up, the church I attended only had Sunday morning service (with sunday school).  Maybe a lot of people don't realize it's different sermons each time? They don't see the importance of attending as many services as you can. Providing good health. Our church is broadcast live online. So if we miss a sermon we're able to catch up online. Not very many churches at all that do that.  Not every one is at the same stage of spiritual growth to want to attend 3-4 times a week. As you grow spiritually, speaking for myself, you can't get enough true Biblical preaching! 

Miss Daisy,

You're an inspiration to me. I know I haven't interacted with you much, but I want you to know that I appreciate you and your input.