• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Questions about deputation

• Members

Hello, all. Hope you're doing well. I have some questions about deputation. The wife and I are called to missions, potentially, and perhaps even the ministry of a church (i.e., teaching in a Christian school). If we do go on deputation, what are some things we can look for during it? Some of the threads about deputation I've seen mention getting a motorhome/camper. We, too, have discussed that. . Which IFB mission board did you use? We are starting the process of selling unnecessary things like our Camaro. I am in my third year of Bible school. I believe that the education weighs in on mission boards as well. We believe the Lord may be calling us to Canada. 

What are things we can look forward to during deputation? 

Which, if any, IFB board did you use? 

I know this is a loaded question, but how long did it take? 

Is there any advice you could give about deputation? 

How did you know WHERE you were supposed to go? 

• Administrators

IMO, FBWWM is the primo of mission boards. When my husband and I were planning to go to Ireland, we were going to go through this board (we researched a great number, and felt this one was the most biblical).  Contact Bro. Pat Gordon there - he'll answer all of your questions and more than you realize you'll have!  

http://fbwwm.org/

• Members

Personally, I would avoid Boards like BIMI and FBWWM, I believe they try to excersize too much control over the missionary. I dont believe its a mission boards place to micro manage things like facial hair, what you can do with your money on the mission field, etc. 

I am personally going to go with All Points Baptist Mission because they give dont attempt to control things that they dont really have scriptural authority to control. Pat Gordon is a good man and Im not saying you shouldnt go with FBWWM, but personally I dont want a body outside of my local church dictating non biblical things to me.

As to where God wants you to go, I believe if God gives you a burden or desire for a specific place, follow that desire, Jesus already said Go into all the world, so there is your “call”. As long as you are qualified biblically then I say follow God and he will give you the desires of your heart. 

I am praying this year that God will call 100 people to unreached people groups. 

Maybe you are one of them, please listen to this short (12 minutes) radio broadcast I did on the topic of missions and unreached people groups. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Cyo2ykALwGQWtpRl90eVFQOHM/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

One of the things I don't like about BIMI so far is there's a "timetable" they have where you can go to candidate school, get approved, and then go. They may all be like that but I know BIMI does their annual school in June. The committee convenes also in June and December. When it's time to go, I want to go. I have a missionary from my church who didn't use a board at all. And it's for the same reasons you mentioned, Jordan. 

• Administrators

I can't really help in this area as we were on deputation for only 3 months. We were planning on being on deputation for 1 year to get support to start a church in Connecticut, but in our first meeting a door opened us for us to use a building right away for no cost. We prayed about it and ended our deputation after 3 months and started the church early. Seeing how we were focusing on deputation only in the north east, we did not use a mission board, but rather just our sending church.

I do realize that it is different with foreign missions, but BIMI is one that I would never consider. That is just my opinion thought, as we do support missionaries that are under BIMI.

• Members

I just got off of the phone with David Canedy at Baptist World Missions. I had a ton of information given and asked many questions. It will have to be a matter of prayer, but I am leaning more towards them if we go into missions. They do candidacy interviews and the like twice a year. April and October. I like that much better than once a year. We have a few more doors that must open for it to be missions-related, but this was our first step. I am excited about whatever may come! 

• Members
33 minutes ago, Anthony John Thornton said:

I just got off of the phone with David Canedy at Baptist World Missions. I had a ton of information given and asked many questions. It will have to be a matter of prayer, but I am leaning more towards them if we go into missions. They do candidacy interviews and the like twice a year. April and October. I like that much better than once a year. We have a few more doors that must open for it to be missions-related, but this was our first step. I am excited about whatever may come! 

If I was you I would ask to see their guidebook/handbook, that is what turned me off from BIMI and FBWWM, I just saw so many rules that restricted the missionaries freedom and many of the rules had nothing to do with the Bible. Unfortunately today, people sometimes think their own philosophy of missions is the only way to do missions, there are many things the Bible does not address but certain mission boards and missionaries feel so strongly about. I have personally seen where missionaries and boards try to Lord it over another missionary. But you will have to decide for yourself what is best for you. 

• Members

I go to church with the Vice President of Baptist Missions to Forgotten People. I have asked him many many questions about the board he is a part of and about missions in general. I personally think it is a very personal choice and something you must pray about and decide what works best for you. I have another friend that is a missionary in Papua New Guinea and he didn't use a board at all. He is sent out of his local church and Central Missionary Clearinghouse handles his support. That is what works best for him and his family.

I don't think there is any one right way to do deputation and handle your support. Each family is different and has different needs. If you would like me to put you in touch with the Vice President or the pre field administrator at BMFP let me know.

• Members
1 hour ago, AdamL said:

I go to church with the Vice President of Baptist Missions to Forgotten People. I have asked him many many questions about the board he is a part of and about missions in general. I personally think it is a very personal choice and something you must pray about and decide what works best for you. I have another friend that is a missionary in Papua New Guinea and he didn't use a board at all. He is sent out of his local church and Central Missionary Clearinghouse handles his support. That is what works best for him and his family.

I don't think there is any one right way to do deputation and handle your support. Each family is different and has different needs. If you would like me to put you in touch with the Vice President or the pre field administrator at BMFP let me know.

Absolutely. I am definitely going to consider all avenues and make it a matter of prayer. 

Edited by Anthony John Thornton

• Administrators

Reading a handbook just isn't enough. Talk to the people who are involved in the different boards. Find out WHY "rules" are there  -  you might be surprised to find that some of them are based on biblical principle and not just "lording it over" missionaries (I know for a fact that FBWWM does not "lord over" anybody). Talk to your pastor and see which one(s) he recommends (FBWWM will not take any missionary if their pastor does not recommend them). And then pray about it. If God is calling you to the field, and leading you to use a mission board, He will show you the right one for you, your family, and your field.

• Administrators

Why a mission board at all? It is the responsibility of your local church to send you as well as help support you. Do your own deputation, have your sending church collect the mission offerings and disperse to you. You really don't need middlemen in the mix.

• Members
9 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Why a mission board at all? It is the responsibility of your local church to send you as well as help support you. Do your own deputation, have your sending church collect the mission offerings and disperse to you. You really don't need middlemen in the mix.

And I have strongly considered this aspect of it as well. I have an older missionary in my church whom I consider a friend and this is what he does. Well, mostly. He doesn't use a board. He does go from church to church periodically raising funds. I believe the sending church being responsible is the most Biblical way of doing it for sure. 

• Members
On 1/22/2019 at 5:04 AM, AdamL said:

Central Missionary Clearinghouse handles his support

The Central Missionary Clearinghouse is a ministry from a local church, the Central Baptist Church, Houston, TX, Pastor Larry Maddox, and  operates as a "mission handling agency" and not a "board." https://www.cmcmissions.org/

The CMC has no "Candidate School," and no control over the missionary family.The CMC helps with the "funds handling only." The is no "board" at the CMC.

Apart from the local church supporting a missionary directly from their local church as Jim Alaska wrote, the only other method I would even suggest is the Central Missionary Clearinghouse.

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members
2 minutes ago, Alan said:

The Central Missionary Clearinghouse is a ministry from a local church, the Central Baptist Church, Houston, TX, Pastor Larry Maddox, and  operates as a "mission handling agency" and not a "board." https://www.cmcmissions.org/

The CMC does have no "Candidate School," and no control over the missionary family.The CMC helps with the "funds handling only." The is no "board" at the CMC.

Apart from the local church supporting a missionary directly from their local church as Jim Alaska wrote, the only other method I would even suggest is the Central Missionary Clearinghouse.

That's really interesting! 

• Members

Under the "FAQ" the CMC states:

3. WHAT IS CMC'S PHILOSOPHY OF MISSIONS?

Basic to the philosophy of CMC is the concern that a missionary be sent to the field without control by outside organizations of people, other than his home church, his supporting churches and the Holy Spirit. In practice, this means we do not dictate to the missionary how he spends his money, how much money he can receive, or how or where he works. Agreement between CMC policies and the missionary requires certain divisions of income, such as personal support, ministry support and ministry expenses, which are for the missionary's protection. Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men." (2 Cor. 8:21) The missionary's financial arrangements are confidential to us and any information must be given by the missionary, not by our office.

4. WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS FOR MISSIONARIES?

There are no qualifications such as age limit, health, education, etc. The procedure for using CMC’s services is as follows: A missionary is sponsored by the church where he is a member. He is recommended by his own pastor and commissioned by his home church. In addition, he must have the recommendation of two other fundamental Baptist pastors. These three pastors (that he has chosen) become his “Mission Board.” Each missionary candidate is screened and qualified based upon the recommendation of his sending and sponsoring churches. The integrity and character of every missionary is of vital importance to CMC.

5. WHAT ARE THE PRIMARY FUNCTIONS OF CMC?

CMC exists to serve the churches and missionaries by processing funds for missionary endeavor. We receive gifts from the donors, issue tax-deductible receipts, accumulate the funds in each missionary’s account, prepare complete reports for the missionaries and in every way we know, provide information for the missionary that will be helpful in his relationship with the churches. Our ministry includes getting the funds to the missionary by the last business day of the month, using whatever method agreed upon with the missionary. On the missionary’s instructions, we maintain savings accounts, building funds, furlough funds, emergency funds, etc.; we make bill payments, insurance premium payments and keep up hospitalization and retirement programs, as well as making quarterly tax payments. We also provide legal documentation that is necessary on the field in which they serve, as well as verifying the financial information needed by the missionary and validating their income as required in their personal and professional endeavors.

A personal Note. Please notice the highlighted red ink portion of their statement.

There are some countries that require a "legal" missionary board. The CMC supplies that need.

FYI. Our support as missionaries is through our home Church and the CMC.

Alan

Edited by Alan
formatting