• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ages Digital Library software.

DaveW

• Members

Many, many years ago I came across "The C.H. Spurgeon Collection" for a super bargain basement price - so I grabbed it.

Now I am not a huge Spurgeon fan, but I can appreciate his body of work.

When we upgraded the church computer, we went to a 64bit system, and it seems as though no matter what I do, the Ages software will not load.

I have downloaded the PDF's from the disk (that is the storage format), but the beauty of the software is that it gives a great index system. I can print the index, but then have to go and find the individual PDF files - painful...…. (21st century problems hey?! ?)

So, any of you pooter gurus know of any way to get this thing working?

Extra info: I have tried compatibility mode - the problem is that the program appears to be totally incompatible with a 64bit system.

Extra extra info: Win 10, on a pooter that is less than 2 years old, and still well capable of keeping up with anything that I need to run. It NEVER gives me performance issues.

And yes - I have wanted to reference some of this material in the last two years since our Pooter upgrade, just not enough to find the disk and do it. I came across the disk the other day whilst looking for something else and thought I should load it up.

Extra, extra, extra info - It seems like the Ages software site has not been maintained in this respect - I would be more than happy to get a link showing otherwise.

Thanks folks,

Dave.

• Members

From the website...

Now compatible with Apple Mac OS X, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

So...it would appear on the surface that it's not compatible with Windows 10. As you said, it appears as though they haven't maintained it for quite some time.

See if one of these helps...but you've already tried compatibility made...which is one of the options.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/amp/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Hope my computer guruism helped...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

• Members
11 hours ago, DaveW said:

Extra, extra, extra info - It seems like the Ages software site has not been maintained in this respect - I would be more than happy to get a link showing otherwise.

Some years ago I also acquired Ages Software material (approximately 16 different disks worth).  However, it is my understanding (although not with 100% certainty) that Ages Software went out of business a few years back.

• Members

Actually, I finally got a reply, and they apparently have a version that will work for me, but it is more than just the Spurgeon disk I have. I will have to purchase it again, but if I return the disk I have I will possibly get a discount.

They will then supply my old disk to someone who can use it, most likely in a "third world country" where older computers and OS are still used.

Edit to add: the "they" I mention are the keepers of the software - I think brother Markle is mostly correct in that the "Ages Software" mob are no longer doing their thing as far as I can tell, but these keepers of the software are doing their best to keep "old but useful" software available. And not just the Ages Library.

Edited by DaveW

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I had the same problem with both the Spurgeon and Pink CD's. What you can do is go to the 'explore cd' option of the drive and copy the  'LIBRARY' folder and all its files to your hard drive. They are .pdf files and you can access them individually with acrobat reader. It's inconvenient, but you will have all the files.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Among the  the collections on various topics and the Bible Books in Ages Library one greatest books is the Book on Martyrs by John Foxe. The truth on persecution of Innocent believers who only decided to follow their conscience based on New revelations on Salvation by Faith only and not by Works. It is very sad to note that many other mainstream churches watched when the so called followers of the Cross were leading into genocide on those who did think freely out of their convictions. Even today some countries like Russia , Islamic (Sharia-law ) states and many Asian communist governments still torture and kill Believers in the name of protecting their un-Godly Ideologies. If Our faith in God Does not create in us a hatred on systems that Kill humanity then our faith is useless and we should not even be believers. Our love for humanity in the face our creator God should consume us to taking action against any form of persecution , torture and dehumanizing  of our race-Mankind-. If ICC was meant to put to death on any one who outright organizes to destroy humanity it would get full support by all who believe in a world where all men are Equal despite their geographical origins and their cultures.

Only Through the Fear of God  do we make meaningful "Human Rights".

Modernizing of the Ages Library will be an added advantage to the Church and any people with interests in reading world History for different times.