• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Could a "stray planet" be God's instrument of judgment?

• Members

I tend to believe that God will use a "stray planet" or some planet-size body as the instrument to bring about His punishments upon the earth.(Dunno if it'll be one of the known planets of the solar system or a wanderer from "out yonder".) I say this because I think God will use a physical, visible "agent" so unbelievers will attribute the disasters to "bad luck" and not a controlled event from God.

First, JESUS says: "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.(Luke 21:25-26, KJV)

Another planet heading toward earth would be noted by astronomers months before it would become visible to the naked eye. they would calculate & re-calculate its path to make sure it was heading toward earth. it would be no secret; hundreds of amateur astronomers all over earth scan the sky every night hoping to discover a "new" comet or asteroid so it can be named after themselves. This would certainly be a sign in the sun, moon, & stars!

When the news would break, there would certainly be distress in the nations with much perplexity! "HOW ARE WE GONNA STOP THAT PLANET FROM COLLIDING WITH EARTH???"

The sea & waves roar constantly in many places; this is surely a prophecy of unusual sea/wave behavior, which would occur as the stray planet's gravity began to affect earth. And many mens' hearts would fail them for fear, as they saw what they believe to be an imminent collision of earth with another planet shaping up. And as the planets drew closer together, the "powers of the heavens"-the orbit and rotation of the earth-would be altered, with earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, & meteor strikes becoming the rule rather than the exception.

But is this "the end"? Newp!

Jesus goes on to say, in the same breath: "And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.(Luke 21:27-28, KJV)
So Jesus tells His flock that when these things BEGIN to cometa pass, He will be returning very soon. And we know the earth will NOT be completely destroyed, but it WILL be revamped with fervent heat.

Jesus is giving His disciples an overview in Luke 21. He goes into greater detail in Revelation. Please not how all these prophecies fit together! I don't want this post to drag on forever, so I'll cover what Revelation sez in subsequent posts.

• Members

Let's look at the Revelation judgments to see if another planet approaching the earth could cause them:

12And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. (Rev. 6:12-14, KJV)

For a long time, people looked through sackcloth to observe the sun, so apparently the air will be so fulla smoke & dust that people can look right at the sun easily. And the moon becomes as blood both during a lunar eclipse and some types of atmospheric pollution; the latter will be the case here. A great earthquake strong enough to move every mountain & island can bring all this about, & could be caused by the proximity of another planet. And all the planets are orbited by many rocks, and a 'stray planet" could bring its own rock collection or disrupt the orbits of those now in our solar system so that they would become meteors & fall upon the earth.

Rev. 7:1, KJV-"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."

This is another phenomenon that could be caused by a stray planet. But again, let me stress that if this IS the case, it will still be totally under God's control. Remember, He gave Hezekiah the choice of whether he should move the sun forward abnormally or backwards. He is in control of all cosmic events same as He is of earthly ones.

Rev. 8: 5"And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake."

As the stray planet draws closer, the disasters increase in frequency & severity.

Now, let's look at the trumpet judgments: Rev. 8:7"The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

This is apparently a meteor storm.

Rev. 8: 8-9 "And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed."

This is doubtlessly a large meteor. We must remember that John is trying to describe some events he saw with 1st-century understanding. he doubtlessly thought "shooting stars" were actually stars, etc.

Rev. 8:10-11"10And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. "

Apparently this is some kind of poisonous meteor.

Rev. 8:12 "And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise."

After all the quakes, storms, & meteor strikes,& volcanoes, the atmosphere will be fulla dust & smoke that will obscure much of the natural light. remember, the sun had already become so obscured that men could look right at it as if observing it through sackcloth.

When the 6th angel sounds, there will be yet another great earthquake which will slay 7K Jerusalemites.

As the planet draws closer, there will be the last plagues, more intense than the earlier ones, God's final punishments upon the whole earth.

We'll examine them in the next post!

• Members

The seven angels have sounded their trumpets. Seven more angels, each having a container filled with a plague, step forward to empty them upon the earth as the stray planed draws closer. The first one empties his vial: Rev. 16:2-4 "And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image. And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea. And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood. "

Remember, the vast pollution from the quakes, meteros, & volcanoes? This pollution can easily cause all the plagues described above.

Rev. 16:8-11"And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory. And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds. "

So we see yet more atmospheric disruption, with enough air moved in places so the sun's rays come unimpeded upon the earth, and then more pollution which will almost smother all natural light. But perhaps the sun's infrared and UV rays will still get through! And I believe we see more proof that God will use a physical agent to bring on these plagues insteada simply causing them to happen. When some people suggest that perhaps God IS causing all these disasters & it's not simply "bad luck", men will CURSE GOD for allowing it to happen!

The 6th plague is preparation for Armageddon, but the 7th occurs as the stray planet draws very close to earth: Rev. 16;17-21And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great."

The mother of all earthquakes now devastates the earth; Jerusalem is divided and a massive meteor shower rakes the earth-and men blaspheme God because of all this, which is heaped upon toppa all the other plagues! it will NOT be a pleasant time for those who have the marka the beast!

But then...HERE COMES JESUS!

Rather than copy Rev. 19:11-21, I shall ask you to read them for yourselves, to see Jesus is once again called "the word of God" & that He slays the wicked who are still alive with His words, & will institure the Millenuim. And I'm sure He will deal with the "stray planet" also. science believes that a collision of two planets of approx. the same size & composition is quite unlikely because, as they draw closer together because of their gravity, their electromagnetic fields, which have like polarity, will cause them to repel each other, overcoming gravity. Or, of course, JESUS could simply send the stray away by His will. But at any rate, IT WILL NOT DESTROY THE EARTH! We know that at the end of the millenium, Satan will be loosed to re-introduce sin upon the earth, & soon after he will be cast into the lake of fire forever, God will make all things new upon the earth, & the Great White Throne judgment will follow, & the Kingdom of God will be physically established forever.

This is the BLESSED HOPE the Christian has...that no matter how bad things get for him on earth, IT'S ALL TEMPORARY, & WILL end up "happily ever after"!

Nothing I have written in these posts, EXCEPT THE SCRIPTURES, is set in stone-I could be totally wrong! this is all just my opinion of a very likely scenario that could begin very shortly!

Please feel freeta comment or criticize as God gives you the light!

In Christ,

Cranston P. roby

• Members
No. If God were to destroy the earth with a planet it would not be a stray.

Ah, but it would seemta be a stray to those who'd taken the marka the beast. Insteada believing it's God's judgment, they'd attribute it to "bad luck", etc. as parta the 'strong delusion' God will send'em.

• Members

God will destroy the earth with hail mingled with fire, "falling stars", darkness, massive earthquakes, wars and rumors of wars, deceitful prophets and antichrists, poisoned and bloody water, mutant monsters (Rev 9), disease and pestilence, starvation, rabid animals who no longer fear men, a giant angel, angels holding back the rivers, drought, the two witnesses, fire out of the temple of God, etc. but I don't see anything about a wayward planet or Planet X destroying the planet. The closes thing to it would be "Wormwood".

• Members

All could be brought on by the near-approach of a planet-size body. Not saying it's carved in stone, but it IS a possibility. "With GOD, all things are possible".

A wandering planet coulda picked up many orbiting rox along the way which could bombard earth as the two bodies drew close, the outsider's gravity could cause massive quakes & volcanism, which would bring fire & darkness, etc. I believe GOD will use a known physical agent to bring about His punishments so unsaved men won't attribute it to GOD as they would if He used only clearly-supernatural means.

• Members

Pharoah's heart was hardened even though the miracles were obviously of God. I assume others can harden their hearts as well, even if something is obviously God's doing.

I think some things in Revelation can be "natural occurences" but many are going to be supernatural and caused by God directly against nature.

• Members
Pharoah's heart was hardened even though the miracles were obviously of God. I assume others can harden their hearts as well, even if something is obviously God's doing.

I think some things in Revelation can be "natural occurences" but many are going to be supernatural and caused by God directly against nature.

I appreciate your opinion as well as all the others. No matter what, we should "watch-be ye READY".

• Members
I tend to believe that God will use a "stray planet" or some planet-size body as the instrument to bring about His punishments upon the earth.(Dunno if it'll be one of the known planets of the solar system or a wanderer from "out yonder".) I say this because I think God will use a physical, visible "agent" so unbelievers will attribute the disasters to "bad luck" and not a controlled event from God.

First, JESUS says: "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.(Luke 21:25-26, KJV)

Another planet heading toward earth would be noted by astronomers months before it would become visible to the naked eye. they would calculate & re-calculate its path to make sure it was heading toward earth. it would be no secret; hundreds of amateur astronomers all over earth scan the sky every night hoping to discover a "new" comet or asteroid so it can be named after themselves. This would certainly be a sign in the sun, moon, & stars!

When the news would break, there would certainly be distress in the nations with much perplexity! "HOW ARE WE GONNA STOP THAT PLANET FROM COLLIDING WITH EARTH???"

The sea & waves roar constantly in many places; this is surely a prophecy of unusual sea/wave behavior, which would occur as the stray planet's gravity began to affect earth. And many mens' hearts would fail them for fear, as they saw what they believe to be an imminent collision of earth with another planet shaping up. And as the planets drew closer together, the "powers of the heavens"-the orbit and rotation of the earth-would be altered, with earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, & meteor strikes becoming the rule rather than the exception.

But is this "the end"? Newp!

Jesus goes on to say, in the same breath: "And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.(Luke 21:27-28, KJV)
So Jesus tells His flock that when these things BEGIN to cometa pass, He will be returning very soon. And we know the earth will NOT be completely destroyed, but it WILL be revamped with fervent heat.

Jesus is giving His disciples an overview in Luke 21. He goes into greater detail in Revelation. Please not how all these prophecies fit together! I don't want this post to drag on forever, so I'll cover what Revelation sez in subsequent posts.

Depends on what you mean by "planet size"
An asteroid of only 2 kilometers in diameter is a teene weenee speck compared to planet earth's 12,750 km. But the impact of a 2 km asteroid could cause a massive 1 million megaton blast, causeing global damage; possibly plunging earth into an "impact winter", destroying crops and resulting in mass starvation. Another few kilometers in size and you're looking at almost instantaneous mass extinction. This also from a tiny rock, compared to earth's massive size; hardly a planet I woud think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Agreed-but all the things described in Revalation could be brought about one-by-one by the approach of another planet, while the impact of an asteroid would bring about mosta its effects very quickly. That's why I go with the planet theory-men will see it coming; some will "go code" with fear cuz they know they can't stop it, and its effects will occur more slowly. Most men will attribute it to "bad luck" insteada the guidance of God as parta the strong delusion He will send upon those who will take the marka the beast.

• 2 weeks later...