• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Large Families?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, robycop3 said:

'Tis at least as dangerous to tell a couple to breed like rabbits.

You completely ignored my response to make an assumption that was never there. Please re-read my post. Not one single person here has said to tell couples to breed like rabbits, all we said is we dont know how many kids God told certain people to have other than ourselves. I will gladly change my views if you can use at least just one verse of Scripture to prove your point. Scripture is my final authority, not someone's opinion, so if you're telling me something is wrong, then you must have a Bible verse to back that up.

• Members
1 hour ago, Matt Souza said:

You completely ignored my response to make an assumption that was never there. Please re-read my post. Not one single person here has said to tell couples to breed like rabbits, all we said is we dont know how many kids God told certain people to have other than ourselves. I will gladly change my views if you can use at least just one verse of Scripture to prove your point. Scripture is my final authority, not someone's opinion, so if you're telling me something is wrong, then you must have a Bible verse to back that up.

Well, ACTUALLY, I was posting the alternative. If it's dangerous to tell people not to have kids, it's just-as-dangerous to tell them  to have a large number.

And yes, I've seen small families raise jailbirds, & large families saise all saints, but those are exceptions rather than rules.

• Administrators

@robycop3 Since you did not use Scripture, this issue of family size is a personal issue for you, not a Biblical one?

To be honest, I really don't want to carry on a conversation about what is right or wrong when the person will not use scripture to validate a position.

10 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

And yes, I've seen small families raise jailbirds, & large families saise all saints, but those are exceptions rather than rules.

Not saying you are wrong, but it sounds as if you are stating this as fact. I would like to see the numbers. Can you show me stats on this? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is this guy still around?

On 3/12/2019 at 2:35 AM, robycop3 said:

'Tis at least as dangerous to tell a couple to breed like rabbits.

“Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.” - Pslams 127:5

How do you square your belief against the Lord's here?

It's horse sense to me that when my view contradicts God's Word, it's my view that needs a changin'!

• Administrators
On 3/12/2019 at 11:18 AM, Matt Souza said:

Not saying you are wrong, but it sounds as if you are stating this as fact. I would like to see the numbers. Can you show me stats on this? 

@robycop3 When you get some time, can you please show me where the stats are. I genuinely know want to know if the majority of jail cells are filled with people coming from large families like you claimed.

4 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Is this guy still around?

I hope so. I've been trying to get Biblical answers myself. lol

• Members
19 minutes ago, Matt Souza said:

@robycop3 When you get some time, can you please show me where the stats are. I genuinely know want to know if the majority of jail cells are filled with people coming from large families like you claimed.

I hope so. I've been trying to get Biblical answers myself. lol

I'm going by my own experiences as a cop, which involved interviewing correctional-facility inmates. When I conducted such interviews, I had to include some background on the inmate(s) being questioned, so as to attempt to convince a judge or jury of those inmates' veracity.

i have never consulted any statistics on the matter at hand here.

As for having large families or not, my advice is to PRAY about it.

• Members
On 3/24/2019 at 7:01 AM, robycop3 said:

I'm going by my own experiences as a cop, which involved interviewing correctional-facility inmates. When I conducted such interviews, I had to include some background on the inmate(s) being questioned, so as to attempt to convince a judge or jury of those inmates' veracity.

How many of those large families with children in trouble with the law were raised with a mother and father who attended church regularly?

It's a little over 24 hours since you answered Matt's question.  Can I have mine answered now please?

• Members
11 hours ago, swathdiver said:

How many of those large families with children in trouble with the law were raised with a mother and father who attended church regularly?

It's a little over 24 hours since you answered Matt's question.  Can I have mine answered now please?

I know one family that had SIXTEEN children. The parents were devout Christians, bur the last five of their kids stayed in trouble with the law. And both parents died in their 50s from overwork; both worked at least 2 low-paying jobs 7 days a week, while managing to attend church regularly.

I still believe in having only as many kids as a couple can afford to raise properly, having enough ATTENTION to give each child.

• Members
2 hours ago, robycop3 said:

I know one family that had SIXTEEN children. The parents were devout Christians, bur the last five of their kids stayed in trouble with the law. And both parents died in their 50s from overwork; both worked at least 2 low-paying jobs 7 days a week, while managing to attend church regularly.

I still believe in having only as many kids as a couple can afford to raise properly, having enough ATTENTION to give each child.

That's too bad.  If they were saved the bible's way I reckon the Lord said to them, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".

As to your last, I don't think any child can get enough of their parent's attention!  We've got an adult child with a child who still demands more time from us than her teenage sisters.

I believe that children are a gift from God and they belong to God.  We're to raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, as many as He wants to give us.  If we do our part, He'll provide all that is necessary.

• Members

I know a family of two kids and both of the kids are in trouble with the law, both having been arrested and charged with serious crimes, one has spent time I  prison, one is currently waiting in custody to see what his fate will be.

I know another family with twelve kids, and as far as I know not one of them has been in any trouble with the law, and the older ones are forging decent lives for themselves. And by the way, only the husband worked and they homeschooled all their kids, and they don't have heaps but they get by.

You wanna know what the difference is?

The  first family is unsaved - mum only just got saved a few weeks ago, praise the Lord.

The second family are a God fearing Christian family who bring up their children in the nurture and admonishion of the Lord.

You wanna make a distinction about families, there it is.

A family who loves, follows, and serves the Lord NO MATTER HOW MANY KIDS is a family who will likely keep out of trouble. Know how I know?

Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Show me a verse that backs up your OPINION.

• Members
6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

That's too bad.  If they were saved the bible's way I reckon the Lord said to them, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".

As to your last, I don't think any child can get enough of their parent's attention!  We've got an adult child with a child who still demands more time from us than her teenage sisters.

I believe that children are a gift from God and they belong to God.  We're to raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, as many as He wants to give us.  If we do our part, He'll provide all that is necessary.

You're entitled to your opinion, but  I'm also entitled to mine. And I'm never gonna change my opinion that God tells us when enough is enough of anything, including kids.

• Administrators

Yep, folks are "entitled" to their opinions...but when we bring God into it, our entitlement goes out the window. We are to follow scripture as our guide, not our opinions (which are far too often based on emotion or experience rather than scripture). IF our opinions are grounded in scripture, then great. So, robycop, while I am not denigrating your opinion (which you stated earlier is based on your experience as a cop), please do share actual scripture which gives credence to your opinion. If the Bible actually teaches that we are to only have the children which we can afford, we should all know that.  (I do want to add here, though, that I do believe God will tell each family when "enough is enough" - and that is based on the scriptural principle that God leads the husband to lead his family [well, if said husband is saved and following scripture] in the way God would have them go...of course, then it is very unlikely that children will run afoul of the law [note that I said very unlikely, not impossible...each child makes his/her own choices]. Faux Christianity breeds law breakers. True Christianity does not.)

BTW, roby, I just noticed that you are located in southern Ohio. My hubs and my son are both Buckeyes, but from the Cols area. Randy's parents are from the southern part, though. His family that still lives there live in the Pedro area. 

• Members
On 3/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, robycop3 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but  I'm also entitled to mine. And I'm never gonna change my opinion that God tells us when enough is enough of anything, including kids.

I didn't give you my opinion as it doesn't matter.  What matters is, "Thus saith the Lord".  So you were a corpsman?  Where did you serve?