• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Legalization of Marijuana

• Members

Me and a brother in Christ had a discussion about the legalization of marijuana; and it was his stance that since marijuana is legalized in California, it is OK to smoke it, and used Romans 13 to justify his position. In my view, there are many reasons for anyone who calls themselves a Christian to stay away from "recreational" drugs of all types -- and that would be equally true even if they were legal. As to the social implications of the issue and the political process by which this issue is being addressed, I prefer not to comment. There are plenty of things that happen in our society that would get any "normal" person "riled up", but seeking political solutions to our problems or becoming engaged with "the enemy" on the political battlefield is, in my view, a losing game -- especially in this fallen world governed by Satan. What I mean by that is we can stand up for the truth as loyal Christians; but it will most definitely land us in prison (Matt. 5:10; Jn. 15:18; 2 Tim. 3:12; Rev. 2:10). We will never FIX the world -- it is the devil's world (2 Cor. 4:4; cf. Eph. 2:2; Col. 1:13; Jn. 12:31; cf. 8:44; 1 Jn. 5:19) until our Lord returns and removes him. If we try to fix Satan's world system we only become enmeshed in it ourselves. The important thing for non-Christians who are debating legalizing "pot" or any other such issue is really "what think ye of Jesus?"

We can certainly have our opinions about these sorts of things (how can we help but have opinions?). But acting upon them in a political way CAN be a trap that at the very least will sap our time, energy and resources, diverting them away from the personal ministry to which Jesus has called us, whatever that may be. There are many other negatives that lie down the road political involvement, and almost no positives, as far as I can see, not, any way, for the person who gets involved (and generally speaking not for the people on whose behalf they get involved, although there are some EXCEPTIONS here since God works in all manner of mysterious ways (cf. Gen. 50:20; Ex. 6:1-8; Josh. 6:1-4; Isa. 45:11-13,15; 55:8-11; cf. Acts 6:22-24; cf. 2 Cor. 5:7). This is also not to suggest that we Christians are "sitting on our hands" and letting "George do it". Quite the contrary.  God gives each nation the laws, leadership, and circumstances they really want and truly deserve. In most cases, that means less than ideal situations around the globe. But if as a nation we turned to the Lord with hearts on fire for Him, if we devoted ourselves to seeking Him through His Word in the Name of His Son our Lord Jesus, we would soon have so much prosperity in every way that politics would seem totally beside the point. Of course it will most likely never happen that most people will ever feel that way. But most Christians do not really feel that way. And when they stop reading their Bibles and stop seeking out and believing solid Bible-teaching and stop walking with Jesus and stop serving others, then they become part of the problem instead of part of the solution even if they appear to be standing up for a good cause. That is because the solution, the true solution comes from God (cf. Phil 4:19; Ps. 2:1-6; 121:1-2; cf. 127:1; 146:3-5; Jer. 29:13; cf. Matt. 28:18): He can fix any problem we have, but without Him we cannot fix any problem we have (cf. Isa. 55:6-7) We have to decide whom we are here for and learn what He has called us to do. Going our own way in these matters is always a mistake, even if it is exciting, precedented, and feels good (at first).

God Bless!

• Moderators

There is a wealth of Scripture showing that a Christian is to be of a lucid mind that they might think soberly and with the ability to properly discern right and wrong. Even if marijuana is not addictive, and all the other pro-pot arguments, you can not be buzzed and fit the Biblical admonishments to be diligent etc. Therefore it is absolutely OFF LIMITS for a child of God!

Side note: a guy recently told the Kentucky legislature that he knows that pot is not addictive, he says he knows because, said he, "I've been smoking it for 30 years!"

• Members

Among professed "believers" that I'm familiar with, there is a general consensus that since marijuana is natural, then God created it; therefore, there's actually nothing wrong with it.

Do people still not understand that after Adam sinned, it also affected what was grown from the ground? I would dare say that the effects of this so-called naturally growing plant are due to the results of sin rather than God's original creation.

...but that's me.

• Members

Some have argued that marijuana is no different than tea leaves or tobacco since they are all considered "natural" herbs. Moreover, they would say that tobacco causes more deaths than that of marijuana. They use this as "proof" that Christians who are against smoking pot are being "legalistic" and are not being honest about it, and that this is just our opinion. But the key issue here seems to me to be bound up in these two passages:     

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner, with such a one, no, not to eat. (1 Corinthians 5:11)    

. . . and . . . Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. (1 Corinthians 15:33)

If something is not prohibited by scripture, we can argue about whether behavior XYZ is healthy and/or what kind of a witness it provides, or whether or not it is profitable for a believer, even if it is allowable (cf. 1 Cor.6:12; 10:23), but when it comes to things that are either definitively prohibited by the Bible or else so clearly wrong and offensive to any truly Christian conscience that there can be no reasonable doubt about the wrongness of them, there is no point in arguing. A person who is so ignorant of the Lord and the truth that, for example, he she does not see that doing drugs is spiritually as well as physically dangerous and wrong is not a mature believer and should be kept at arms' length at least. A person who not only doesn't have such basic spiritual common sense but actually goes so far, but is headed in the wrong direction spiritually and it would be dangerous to be around him/her when everything explodes (as it surely will). This sort of libertine attitude is precisely what we should expect by th lukewarmness of "believers" in today's church age, and will play a large role in the apostasy of many "believers" once the Tribulation begins.

For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. (2 Peter 2:18-19)

God Bless!