• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

THE DANGER OF STANDARDS

• Administrators

Thank you for that timely post Bro. Scott. I am glad to see that we are in agreement although approaching this subject from two different positions. Our two posts reaffirm each position, while at the same time others who may be reading can see the clear meaning and validity of each post.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Before I was saved I used to want to do a whole lot of things that weren't so good for me and my family, but ever since that day in October of 1976, my want to's have changed so that I just don't want to do those things anymore. I don't see it as following rules at all, I don't even consider them standards, I consider it all as living the way I choose to. And I don't even think I needed anyone to tell me to quit drinking, to stop smoking, to dress in a manner that looked professional. One thing that I do recall was the absolute knowledge that Jesus had come to live in my heart and He was my constant companion.

• Members

I had to attend a public school in the 70's, I understand that I'm ancient. I had a strict teacher who required I behave and perform in certain ways or I would have problems before and after I graduate. She taught me to listen, complete assignments, and regard others appropriately. Sadly, I ignored much of her requirements and ended up quitting school to join the U.S. Navy. She told me before I left that one day I would be back. I had scored very well on my Navy entrance exams and was permitted to choose aviation electronics for my career field. Again, sadly my performance in public school hindered my performance in Naval electronics school. I was able to pass my Naval training with a lot of extra study and effort after applying those behaviors and performance standards prescribed by that high school teacher. While in the Navy I attended an IFB church in Va. and was saved under that pastor's preaching. I went on to retire from the Navy. After retirement I completed a bachelor's degree program I had started  on active duty.  I graduated Magna Cum Laude from a liberal university. Until I used the standards to behave and perform the way my high school teacher taught me I had difficulty. I had to  listen to hear faith + nothing to be saved, I learned to listen to Navy instructors to achieve, I learned to conduct myself in a certain manner to be accepted and have cooperation. The laws of my teacher were invaluable for me to be successful in all endeavors and most importantly in hearing the truth of God. I'm thankful for my schoolmaster.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.                                           Matthew 22:37-40

• Members
12 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I had to attend a public school in the 70's, I understand that I'm ancient. I had a strict teacher who required I behave and perform in certain ways or I would have problems before and after I graduate. She taught me to listen, complete assignments, and regard others appropriately. Sadly, I ignored much of her requirements and ended up quitting school to join the U.S. Navy. She told me before I left that one day I would be back. I had scored very well on my Navy entrance exams and was permitted to choose aviation electronics for my career field. Again, sadly my performance in public school hindered my performance in Naval electronics school. I was able to pass my Naval training with a lot of extra study and effort after applying those behaviors and performance standards prescribed by that high school teacher. While in the Navy I attended an IFB church in Va. and was saved under that pastor's preaching. I went on to retire from the Navy. After retirement I completed a bachelor's degree program I had started  on active duty.  I graduated Magna Cum Laude from a liberal university. Until I used the standards to behave and perform the way my high school teacher taught me I had difficulty. I had to  listen to hear faith + nothing to be saved, I learned to listen to Navy instructors to achieve, I learned to conduct myself in a certain manner to be accepted and have cooperation. The laws of my teacher were invaluable for me to be successful in all endeavors and most importantly in hearing the truth of God. I'm thankful for my schoolmaster.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.                                           Matthew 22:37-40

In a fairly foundational sense, we either choose the discipline of standards for living or the desire of selfishness for living.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle