• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Danny, seems you are determined to set the Bible against itself. What Seth was referring to was this passage:

Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Hm, says exactly what Seth said it did.

Seth was referring to the name of God (Jehovah), not of Jesus.

• Members
???? the vAV in the middle has a punctuation over it that makes it have a o sound. Yehovah would be the correct transliteration into English. This is the spelling Strong uses.

God bless
John

There were no punctuations in the original Hebrew. Those were added much, much later. Like the verse and chapter markings, they are not part of original scripture, and shouldn't be considered with the same weight as the text itself.

• Members

thanks brother danny carlton, seth, john, mr moderator and others who responded to feed me. it is overwhealming and i really appriciate it yet i have to digest it for a while.

sorry if i made it messy but it is really helpful for me. i am newly saved and i can say that i am like a baby who will put everything into my mouth to know if it is edible or not. i dont intend to create a messy or dividing thoughts among my brothers, i just want to ask regarding the things i need to know since this is more important than my daily food since it will affect my life before this life.

i appriciate all of your answers and frankly, brother danny and john the baptist have very good explanation, also to brother jerry who gave me a link about The Name i am asking. actually all of you have a very good explanation and i am very thankfull for that.

please dont be tired or annoyed if i ask too many questions about The Bible. i am reading it but as i read it, i have more and more questions in my mind and i am afraid to ask to anybody except to my brothers, if i have to ask other like catholics or protestant, i might get loss.

thanks you for the effort and hope that it will not be wasted, i am reading it carefully. i want to learn not because by learning more i will get save (because i know i am save by faith in Him) but i want to know more.

please be patient to me and thanks

Your least of brethren,
pablo

• Members

[quote="Danny Carlton"]There were no punctuations in the original Hebrew. Those were added much, much later. Like the verse and chapter markings, they are not part of original scripture, and shouldn't be considered with the same weight as the text itself.[/quote]

There are many that would beg to differ with you. There are certain manuscripts without accent marks - but there are other manuscripts of the preserved Masoretic Text that do. John Gill also has an excellent article in defense of the original text having the accent marks - though later removed in some manuscript lines.

Guest Guest

[quote]Seth was referring to the name of God (Jehovah), not of Jesus.[/quote]

No I wasn't, I was referring to the verse Jerry quoted and you know it. :wink The point of that was that Jesus simply means "Saviour" which is a description just as surely as I AM THAT I AM is a description. Therefore if Jesus is the valid name of the son(and it obviously is) then Jehovah is just as valid a name for the father. :Green

BTW Your welcome pablo, ask as many questions as you want, we are all happy to try to help a new Christian. :thumb

• Members

I had no idea which of the many verses that contained the phrase "every tongue confess..." so I asumed you were referring to one taling about God the Father.

Nonetheless, being born a man, Jesus, naturally, had a name like all men do. That doesn't therefore mean God has always had a name. From what we can clearly see in the Bible, He never offered a name until over two millinia after Creation, and then only when asked.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

the question is, is it ok to call our God the Father Yahweh when it is written in the Bible his name is Yahweh?

i am holding NIV Bible (in which it is written in my native language) and in OT, Yahweh were written all over.

i guess yahweh is the real name of God the Father since even Jews call Him YHWH

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
the question is, is it ok to call our God the Father Yahweh when it is written in the Bible his name is Yahweh?

i am holding NIV Bible (in which it is written in my native language) and in OT, Yahweh were written all over.

i guess yahweh is the real name of God the Father since even Jews call Him YHWH

thanks

Yahweh is His name (but thanks to some Jews desiring that His name never be pronounced, and to the wonderful language barrier, there are all kinds of spellings and pronunciations for various names- a perfect example is Yeshua/Jesus/Joshua, same name, different ways to say it in different languages), and there is nothing wrong with using it as long as it's not in vain. God created the language barrier, so I'm sure he will excuse our inability agree on a single pronunciation. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • Members
It's also a favored name by many white supremacist groups who fancy themselves Christians...promoting the idea that anyone who uses any other is not addressing God properly.

It's also a favorite of 7th Day adventist. The ones that I have talked to anyway. I don't agree with it. If The King James Version is the inspired word of God to the gentiles, I can't agree with Yahweh either. For not one jot or tittle should be changed in His word. Including His name.

• Members
If The King James Version is the inspired word of God to the gentiles' date=' I can't agree with Yahweh either. For not one jot or tittle should be changed in His word. Including His name.[/quote']

I'm confused. Are you saying the KJV corrects the Hebrew when it renders a Hebrew personal name as an English title (LORD), so that personal transliterated name (JEHOVAH/YAHWEH) is no longer valid? I'm kind of confused.

• Members

no. but maybe I am. I meant that some people push the use of yahweh and yeshua and make you think you are sinning if you use Jehovah/God/Jah or Jesus Christ. after reading the above comments, I agree with that you should not be stuck on calling God any particular name in another language because someone tells you too. If I know Jesus as Jesus I am not going to call Him Yeshua because someone says I should because its in some Hebrew text. I don't want people trying to take away from the King James version. It was given to the English speaking world for our use. The names they way they are.