• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What would you do?

• Members

Well I guess there are differing opinions on how an unbeliever should be treated .  I guess we will all have to answer to the Lord for what we do.   

Also another thing that I wonder is are we supposed to be erecting large buildings to hold our meetings in.  Is this building the "house of God"?  Or are we the house of God.   Is God dwelling there if we are not?     Why do we put up signs, with service times,  special events and such.   Or do you have "everyone welcone" .  Is it true?    What I believe reflects how I treat unbelievers, because I was one.  

We had a man who would come in stinking of alcohol,  he was not disruptive,   but he stunk.   We were happy he was there.   He heard the gospel many times over a few months.   We bring a boy often , who also smells badly .   We pick him up and need to put the windows down he smells so awful.    His parents couldnt care less.    He never bathes or has clothing washed.   We have washed his clothing a few times  when we brought him home and given him clothing, but they quickly become like the rest, as he never takes them off.     We believe we are doing the right thing bringing him to church or including him in activities.    This would also be considered poor behavior.    Why are certain things ok or acceptable so they can be reached and not others.      I would never say to him he cant attend unless he cleans himself up first.   He doesn't know any better .    I also believe the same of the Lady who attends in what she believes is a nice outfit.   

• Members
17 minutes ago, Thief on the Cross said:

Well I guess there are differing opinions on how an unbeliever should be treated .  I guess we will all have to answer to the Lord for what we do.   

Also another thing that I wonder is are we supposed to be erecting large buildings to hold our meetings in.  Is this building the "house of God"?  Or are we the house of God.   Is God dwelling there if we are not?     Why do we put up signs, with service times,  special events and such.   Or do you have "everyone welcone" .  Is it true?    What I believe reflects how I treat unbelievers, because I was one.  

We had a man who would come in stinking of alcohol,  he was not disruptive,   but he stunk.   We were happy he was there.   He heard the gospel many times over a few months.   We bring a boy often , who also smells badly .   We pick him up and need to put the windows down he smells so awful.    His parents couldnt care less.    He never bathes or has clothing washed.   We have washed his clothing a few times  when we brought him home and given him clothing, but they quickly become like the rest, as he never takes them off.     We believe we are doing the right thing bringing him to church or including him in activities.    This would also be considered poor behavior.    Why are certain things ok or acceptable so they can be reached and not others.      I would never say to him he cant attend unless he cleans himself up first.   He doesn't know any better .    I also believe the same of the Lady who attends in what she believes is a nice outfit.   

Sister,

Please understand that I myself do NOT stand in complete agreement with Brother Stafford on this matter.  Nevertheless, I would recognize that your comparative examples above are something like comparing "apples to cucumbers."  Smelling badly is NOT a moral issue.  Dressing immodestly (toward that which God's Word defines as "nakedness") IS a moral issue.  The two issues are NOT an equivalent comparison.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
7 minutes ago, Thief on the Cross said:

Don't stop doing what you're doing. You know, this very thing turned my son off from the last church he was a member of. My son was in charge of the bus ministry at his IFB church and had begun bringing some kids like that. But one day his pastor called him aside to tell him, during "fellowship", to have these kids sit in a separate room and bring them takeout plates AFTER everyone else had gone through the line. When my son later went to him to question him about this, the pastor began a progression of retaliation towards my son and ended up taking  him off the bus ministry. THAT is the "Behavior" which "stinks" in the nostrils of God.

James 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

Continue treating your lady visitor, and the rest, like honored guests. It is LOVE that draws people to Christ.

• Members
6 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Don't stop doing what you're doing. You know, this very thing turned my son off from the last church he was a member of. My son was in charge of the bus ministry at his IFB church and had begun bringing some kids like that. But one day his pastor called him aside to tell him, during "fellowship", to have these kids sit in a separate room and bring them takeout plates AFTER everyone else had gone through the line. When my son later went to him to question him about this, the pastor began a progression of retaliation towards my son and ended up taking  him off the bus ministry. THAT is the "Behavior" which "stinks" in the nostrils of God.

James 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

Continue treating your lady visitor, and the rest, like honored guests. It is LOVE that draws people to Christ.

Amen, and AMEN!!!!!

My comment above was NOT intended at all to discourage, only to explain.

• Members
15 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

2.  1 Timothy 2:9-10 -- "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."  

Seems some have ripped this page from their bible and replaced it with being haughty.

• Members
10 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Seems some have ripped this page from their bible and replaced it with being haughty.

I believe that 1 Timothy 2:9-10 is being addressed to believers. Maybe I'm wrong. I've seen church ladies and preacher's daughters, in an IFB church, come in the house of God with cleavage displayed  and "slits" way up their thighs and nothing was ever said about it from the pulpit  That verse should be preached from the pulpit along with verses to the men. IE  "men shouldn't look.....ladies shouldn't solicit looks". Also, back in the Sunday School rooms, Godly ladies should be teaching all the younger lady-believers how to dress and behave, while Godly men teach men how to dress and behave. When all the church folk are doing right, the visitors will stand out like a sore thumb. I mean, guys, how would you feel when you walk in in casuals and everyone else is dressed in three piece suits? A little out of place huh? It's probably an even bigger deal when a woman wearing revealing clothes walks in and everyone else is dressed modestly. Just that is a huge statement to the visitor without having to say a word.

• Members
9 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

I believe that 1 Timothy 2:9-10 is being addressed to believers. Maybe I'm wrong. I've seen church ladies and preacher's daughters, in an IFB church, come in the house of God with cleavage displayed  and "slits" way up their thighs and nothing was ever said about it from the pulpit  That verse should be preached from the pulpit along with verses to the men. IE  "men shouldn't look.....ladies shouldn't solicit looks". Also, back in the Sunday School rooms, Godly ladies should be teaching all the younger lady-believers how to dress and behave, while Godly men teach men how to dress and behave. When all the church folk are doing right, the visitors will stand out like a sore thumb. I mean, guys, how would you feel when you walk in in casuals and everyone else is dressed in three piece suits? A little out of place huh? It's probably an even bigger deal when a woman wearing revealing clothes walks in and everyone else is dressed modestly. Just that is a huge statement to the visitor without having to say a word.

Indeed, one of the ways in which the light is able to reveal and reprove the darkness is simply by shining faithfully. (See Ephesians 5:8-13)

• Members
5 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister,

Please understand that I myself do NOT stand in complete agreement with Brother Stafford on this matter.  Nevertheless, I would recognize that your comparative examples above are something like comparing "apples to cucumbers."  Smelling badly is NOT a moral issue.  Dressing immodestly (toward that which God's Word defines as "nakedness") IS a moral issue.  The two issues are NOT an equivalent comparison.

Sorry I realize they were not the best examples.  The man I mentioned it was the alcohol smell , meaning he had been drinking and recently before service, by the strong odor.  The boy I mention , because of the discussion of proper church behavior.   But yes a smell is not the same.   

• Members
5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Im not sure if this is directed at me , but I apologize if I came across that way.   Its difficult in a venue where body language and voice inflections are not heard.   Its like when we deal with the deaf.   Just making the signs is often not enough for them to understand,  body language and facial expressions help to get a full meaning.  

• Members
19 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sarcastic comments such as this are unbecoming to Christians. I, for one, can do without them and would encourage your future comments written in a godly manner. 

I would admonish all participants of this thread to check their spirits and attitudes. 

Even if your position and stance are right, that does not give an excuse for a proud, arrogant, or condescending attitude. 

I find it interesting how someone can get so upset and treat others so harshly for their views about modesty and treating visitors, yet could at the same time be so very harsh to other children of God. 

there is a passage that comes to my mind: 

Matthew 7

1  Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3  And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

NOTE I did not highlight vs 1, that is how the copy and paste came out.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
1 hour ago, Thief on the Cross said:

Im not sure if this is directed at me , but I apologize if I came across that way.   Its difficult in a venue where body language and voice inflections are not heard.   Its like when we deal with the deaf.   Just making the signs is often not enough for them to understand,  body language and facial expressions help to get a full meaning.  

Sister, I am not Brother "Swathdiver" and do not claim to speak on his behalf; however, having followed each part of this thread discussion, I do NOT believe that this comment was directed against you.

• Members
31 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Like many people, I read a proverb every day.  Today's is interesting:

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion." (Proverbs 11:22)

I do not disagree with the Word of God.  But not what I would quote to an unsaved woman who happened to walk in to a service.   ??.  

Here is another good one from today.

"When pride cometh, then cometh shame, but with the lowly is wisdom. (Proverb 11: 2)

I need wisdom when dealing with the unsaved .  Just like the woman that first invited me to church.  She new my biggest issue was not undress , but unbelief.