• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What would you do?

• Members

A friend and I were discussing this .   She attends a different church a Brethen Assembly.   They are very conservative,  close to IFB in practice and standards, at least her assembly is.  Well they have this woman that attends every once in awhile.   She dresses , well like the world,  the bible would call it a harlot.   Anyway, she is unsaved as of yet.   She wears what my friend says is "cleavage first" and a short skirt.    I asked has anyone said anything to her?   She said, no we just warmly welcome her.   Well I thought that  was really great.  But the truth is Im not so sure what my church would do.  We rarely have visiters that dont belong to another church.  Im not sure what would happen if she came to ours. I personally would welcome her, but others where I attend may do differently.    Some are very protective of their families,  and rightly so.    Opinions on what you might do?   

Edited by Thief on the Cross

• Members

Amen. I agree.   Heartstrings.   We had a woman that attended years ago , she was a bit of a wild one.  Didnt dress terribly inappropriate.   She ended up leaving after some less than kind things were said to her.  The woman who said these things was very upset with herself after , but it was too late then.  

• Administrators

She is lost, you can't, or shouldn't, in my opinion dictate how a visitor dresses. Jesus takes me "just as I am". We should follow His lead in this. The only exception I would make is if this caused some sort of uproar in the membership, then one of the ladies should gently take her under her wing and explain.

I can't think of of anything positive that could come from trying to change a lost person. She would most likely just stop coming, which would be a shame and a lost opportunity for The Holy Spirit to work on her.

• Members

I went to one church down south, a long while ago, that the women had gotten spare modesty attachments for dresses. They were about the size of a hand towel and attached to the garment. If a new person came and was clear they were trying but just didn't know how to cover properly, one of the older ladies would kindly take here aside and explain the churches modesty requirements and show her how to attach it. Typically those who dressed immodestly did not come on their own but were invited by a conservative relative who would take them aside, so there was not to big of a problem with it for them. 

• Members
15 hours ago, John Young said:

I went to one church down south, a long while ago, that the women had gotten spare modesty attachments for dresses. They were about the size of a hand towel and attached to the garment. If a new person came and was clear they were trying but just didn't know how to cover properly, one of the older ladies would kindly take here aside and explain the churches modesty requirements and show her how to attach it. Typically those who dressed immodestly did not come on their own but were invited by a conservative relative who would take them aside, so there was not to big of a problem with it for them. 

I was told of a church that had spare neck ties at the door, if you showed up without one you were given one to put on.   

• Administrators

The majority of our men show up without neckties. While our ladies dress modestly for the most part, several of them still wear pants. They are Christians, not unsaved who attend irregularly. However, we are praying and trusting the Holy Spirit to reach our members as we teach and model Bible principle.  

What might I do in the case of the OP? I would try to befriend the woman - in church and out. Invite her to lunch, and after getting to know her a bit - and her getting to know me and to know that I genuinely care for her - I would ask if she would like to do a Bible study. On salvation. 

• Members
24 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

The majority of our men show up without neckties. While our ladies dress modestly for the most part, several of them still wear pants. They are Christians, not unsaved who attend irregularly. However, we are praying and trusting the Holy Spirit to reach our members as we teach and model Bible principle.  

What might I do in the case of the OP? I would try to befriend the woman - in church and out. Invite her to lunch, and after getting to know her a bit - and her getting to know me and to know that I genuinely care for her - I would ask if she would like to do a Bible study. On salvation. 

Just for the person reading this who is not aware - Happy Christian is a lady, and a Pastor's wife - I would suggest that a man not befriend a lady in this way. A man do this for a man, and a woman do this for a woman - or a couple do this....

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DaveW said:

Just for the person reading this who is not aware - Happy Christian is a lady, and a Pastor's wife - I would suggest that a man not befriend a lady in this way. A man do this for a man, and a woman do this for a woman - or a couple do this....

Yes, DaveW, thanks for clarifying that!