Online Baptist Community

Judas' Father

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I was reading in the book of John today and came across a few parts of a few verses that never seemed to register in my brain before:

(John 6:71) "He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve."

(John 12:4) "Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, which should betray him,"

(John 13:2) "And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;"

(John 13:26) "Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it.  And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon."

I know there are a bunch of Simons mentioned in the Gospels and Acts, but, if I'm not mistaken, only Simon Peter is mentioned in the book of John.  This leads me to believe that the Simon named in the above verses is Simon Peter.  What are some of the thoughts here?  Was Judas the son of Simon Peter and the nephew of Andrew?   I'm sure countless people have wondered about this and have debated it, but it's just a new-to-me kind of thing. (I really can't believe I never noticed this before)

Edited by Brother Stafford

I haven' studied it out much but I believe the accepted father was Simon the leper of Bethany. It was at Simon's house that Christ publicly rebuked Judas about the Alabaster ointment and it was there where Judas decided to find a way to betray Christ.

I'd looked to find my notebook that learned a few Wednesday nite studies not long ago at beginnin of summer lesson 

Simon was a common name in the Bible.

Judas' father was a different Simon not related to Simon Peter.

When they called him Judas son of Simon they were just clarifying which Judas they were talkin about because Judas was a common name.

Peter and Andrew are brothers.

Simon Peter main name was Simon, in Matthew 10:2 it says "Simon who is called Peter"

I hope that helps, but Simon Peter and Judas were not related

• 3 months later...

The Bible tells us that he is the son of perdition, that when he died he went to his own place, and Jesus said he was a devil.

This has led some to conjecture that Judas is the son of Satan in the sense that Jesus is the Son of God, and that a resurrected Judas will be the Antichrist during the Tribulation.

Kind of sounded plausible when Bill Bartlett preached that to us in chapel a couple of decades ago.