• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Local Church.

• Members
On 9/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, Alan said:

Baalam, heretics, the cults, denominational heads, inspirational preachers (men like Joel Osteen), are "covetous" and are are in the "religious" business. "And through covetous shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you. whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and  their damnation slumbereth not." 2 Peter 2:3 These men, and women, are in the churches trying to promote themselves," merchandise," and their doctrines.

One of the main reasons why inspirational preachers, and the Charismatics, have experienced great growth is they they realized that a lot of people want to be entertained in a religious or Christian environment. And, one of the main reasons why it is hard to convince the Charismatic brethren that their doctrine,and belief of the Holy Spirit is in error, is due to their emotional involvement in tongues.

The denominational heads, and inspirational preachers, use this emotional involvement to make huge amounts of money.

Alan

Absolutely Alan!

Nearly all churches outside of most Baptist denominational churches are absolutely CLUELESS as to what biblical preaching entails. They all have nothing to do with helping their congregation to grow by preaching in one way or another, that is, proclaiming, instructing, sharing, explaining the truth of the Word of God. The problem is with what the English word "preach" means today to most, and "preaching" today is nothing more than fables to tickle the ears of those who in their hearts actually resent the truth. In fact of course, "preaching" in most churches has almost nothing whatsoever to do with the Bible. "Preaching" is generally a short and highly rhetorical tour de force wherein the preacher attempts to use colorful and emotive words, rhetorical flourish, emotional manipulation, a booming and/or lilting voice, and a dramatic presentation to impress those listening (e.g., T.D Fakes, Pastor Creflo "give me a dollar", Joseph Prince, et al.).  

In this case, I would rather listen to teaching. Because teaching on the other hand, could care less about impressing people as long as the information is communicated effectively. Good Bible teaching always results in those listening learning something about the truth and thus drawing closer to the Lord. So preaching (as the word is understood today) is a concept foreign to scripture, and the present day practice of "preaching" is inimical to good teaching. But many people find it enjoyable and many preachers find it capable of inducing guilt and other unhelpful emotions, wrongly directed (which can lead to greater donations, etc.). 

God Bless!

• Members

Brethren

Besides the work of the church, I am now involved in the collecting, and double-checking, of a series of lessons that I did previously here on Taiwan, in Chinese, on "The Biblical Gift of Tongues" in order to print the series into book form in Chinese.  It is a daunting task that is taking up almost all of the time that I can spare. 

I have not forgotten this study on the local church. I hope to continue this study next week.

Regards,

Alan

• Members

Acts 18:22, “The End of the Second Missionary Journey”

The Apostle Paul and Silas are now completing their second missionary journey. At the completion of the journey we read these words: “And when he had landed at Caesarea, and gone up, and saluted the church, he went to Antioch.”

“And when he had landed at Caesarea ...” The Apostle Paul finished his boat trip in Caesarea.

“… and gone up …” is usually meant that he went up to Jerusalem.

“… and saluted the church ...” If he went 'up' to Jerusalem, he 'saluted the church.' As discussed previously, the number of local assemblies in Israel were numerous even before Paul's completion of the second missionary journey. So, at this point in the early church the individual assemblies were more numerous. The very context of the word 'church' expressly shows us that, whether in Jerusalem or not, the church was a local church and not a 'universal' assembly of all the believers.

I would also like to point out another fact. There is not even a 'council' that the Apostle Paul attended. Apparently, there was no need for another 'council' to convene in the early church at all.

“ … he went to Antioch.” As with the completion of his first missionary journey the Apostle Paul reported by to his home church: Acts 14:26-28

In reporting back to the churches in Israel no denominational board of any sort or manner, nor an universal assembly of all the believers, nor a council, is mentioned or inferred too.

• Administrators

I agree Alan. Any reasonable person would understand that "the church" that Paul saluted was his sending church at Jerusalem. It certainly was not some universal church represented by any convention or denominational board.

It is amazing to me that anyone can study their Bible and come to any kind of conclusion regarding how missionaries are sent out and how they are to operate in an exclusively local church setting.

We do not read one time where any missionary was sent out from, or reported back to, any mission board or convention. In every instance the interaction between both missionaries and church was local in nature.

I guess I am just a hard nose in this respect; the authority to send men to any mission field resides exclusively in the local church. Denominational mission boards have no authority.

• Members
7 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

It certainly was not some universal church represented by any convention or denominational board.

Jim,

Thank you for your welcomed addition to this study. Excellent observation.

In the scriptures there is no denominational board or universal church. All of the churches mentioned in the book of Acts are local, independent, New Testament churches. As I mentioned in the early lessons, a local, New Testament church is comprised of saved people. To become a member of a New Testament church salvation is the prerequisite.

And, we must remember the personal pronoun of Matthew 16:18, "... my church ..." A genuine, New Testament church is with the Lord Jesus as the Head. There are a lot of assemblies in the world that the Lord Jesus is not the Head and they are not Jesus' church.

Brethren,

In this study I have had to scroll the internet and seek the viewpoints of the proponents of the universal church and different denominational boards. As before I started this study, I reinforced my belief concerning denominational boards, the universal church movement, and church conventions.

1. The end result of the Universal Church Movement is Ecumenism.

3. The end result of Church conventions is Ecumenism.

4. Almost all of the para-church organizations actively push the universal church.

5. The reason why almost all of the para-church organizations are actively pushing the agenda of the universal church is that way they can reach all of the members of all of the different denominations with their books, agenda, asking for contributions, enlarging their ministry, and conduct their ministry like a business corporation.

3. The universal church movement, with a Charismatic prophet in league with the Roman Catholic Church,  is leading up to the one-world church monstrosity in the Book of Revelation.

4. In order for the proponents of the universal church to succeed is that they must replace the biblical description of the "general assembly of the church of the firstborn, which are in heaven" and supplant it with the words "universal church."

5. Also, in order for the proponents of the universal church to succeed they must supplant, and replace, the biblical appellation of the New Testament word, and meaning of: saints, the bride of Christ, the family of God and the body of Christ.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members

Brethren,

I am working on the next lesson, Acts 20:17.

In Acts 20:17-38 the Apostle Paul gives his farewell speech, given at the city of Miletus, to the elders, or pastors, of the church at Ephesus. As this lesson is on concerning the local church, I will try and concentrate mostly on the aspects of the local  church within the speech. As the speech is aimed directly at the elders, pastors, of the church, in a specific city, Ephesus, I will need to direct our attention to the book of Ephesians.

So, if you can read not only the speech Paul gives in Acts 20:17-38 but also the book of Ephesians, it would be helpful to us all.

Alan

Edited by Alan
plural to singular

• Administrators

Reading ahead in any study is always a good thing. It prepares the heart, causes us to contemplate, and focuses our attention in the desired direction. I always encourage people to read ahead, and not just read, but consider thoughtfully and prayerfully what they are reading.

On the negative side I have to say that I have also found that very few do take the time and effort to read ahead. Unfortunately, we live in a day where most want to take the easy way, which usually means letting the teacher tell us what we are supposed to be reading and studying for ourselves.

This has the capacity to allow false teachers to have their way, since no one has studied and is then able to accept or reject their teaching.. This is why Paul warned about false teachers and preachers in the lesson coming up, as well as other places such as:  2Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The word "ashamed" in this verse should serve as a solemn warning to all who read it. The last thing a preacher or teacher wants is to be ashamed at something he has taught through lack of study.

• Members

Jim, I agree with you.

In my life, I have appreciated those brethren who add notes to their studies, like to know the background of the lesson, to  know of other potential passages to read that may have a bearing on the particular subject, and, if possible and practicable, give references. It is extra work, but it does help some folks.

So, as in this case with Paul talking with men who have a direct bearing on his remarks, I felt it appropriate to let the readers know that the Book of Ephesians  would be helpful in knowing the background of the speech.

• Members

Acts 20:17, “Paul's Speech to the Elders from the Church at Ephesus”

Map of Miletus

image.thumb.jpeg.441af3f16235ea9071257da16344adbc.jpeg

https://bibleatlas.org/full/miletus.htm

The Apostle Paul is now concluding his second missionary journey. In an effort to arrive at Jerusalem he sent word to the church at Ephesus for the elders, or pastors, of the church to travel to Miletus in order to give a farewell speech.

Acts 20:17, “And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.”

Titus 1:5-7, “For this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre.” Also, Ephesians 4:11, “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers.” The word 'elder' or 'bishop' and 'pastor, is the appellation for the same office of the overseer of the local church. The word elder, bishop, or pastor, is interchangeable as the overseer of the local church. There are no titles given to any office outside of the local church; i. e., a universal church.

Also, the elders of the church that the Apostle Paul sent for were the pastors of the church. The elder, or pastor, is the 'overseer' of the local church. The pastor, or elder, or bishop, is the visible head of the local church under the invisible leadership of Christ. This is also clearly brought out by the context; verse 28, “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”

Therefore, the meeting was with the Apostle Paul and pastors of the local church at Ephesus. The concept of a “Universal Church” meeting is not only false but ludicrous.

A Warning Concerning the Local Church at Ephesus

Acts 20:29, “For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.” The Lord Jesus warned the apostles: “Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” Matthew 10:16

False teachers are called 'grievous wolves' by the Apostle Paul. The intention of a false teacher is to destroy the saints within the church by false doctrine, perverted teachings, and aligning the church with its own denominational teaching.

Acts 20:30, “Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.” The apostle Paul is very clear in his warning to the pastors of the local church in Ephesus. Within the local church at Ephesus, men, like cunning wolves, would rise up and try and pervert the very doctrines that the apostle Paul taught.

The Webster's 1828 Dictionary has the following meaning for 'Perverse.'

1. Literally, turned aside; hence, distorted from the right. Milton.

2. Obstinate in the wrong; disposed to be contrary; stubborn; untractable. To so perverse a sex all grace is vain. Dryden.

3. Cross; petulant; peevish; disposed to cross and vex. I'll frown and be perverse, and say thee nay. Shakespeare.1

Doctrines Distorted in the Book of Ephesians

I must add a few words of caution to this list.

1. This list is only a partial list of the doctrines being perverted, distorted, among denominations, cults, false teachers, and just about every internet theologian in our current age.

2. Most of the items listed have already been hashed and re-hashed on the pages of OnLineBaptist. It is not my intention to re-hash them again in this thread. My main intention is to show how the warning of Paul the apostle given to the Ephesian pastors in Acts 20:29 & 30 was fulfilled to the letter.

3. Concerning this thread, I want the reader to understand that the local church and the General Assembly are two different subjects. In the book of Ephesians the main emphasis of the Apostle Paul is “spiritual blessings in heavenly places.” Therefore, Paul is referring not only to the local church (a true New Testament local assembly is comprised of saints), but also to the “heavenly places,” i. e., the saints in heaven.

4. I consider this list an addendum to this lesson for your reference.

1. 1:1, “saints” A saint, in either Testament, is a person who has trusted in God for the eternal salvation of the soul. The Roman Catholic Church has distorted the doctrine of who is a saint and who is not. Only 'saints' are members of the church of Jesus Christ.

2. 1:3, “with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” The blessings given to the saints in the age of Grace are spiritual blessings in “heaven.” The saints in the church age are not promised any physical blessings. The physical blessings of land, and other literal prophecies given to the prophets, are given to the nation of Israel and will be fulfilled in God's timing.

3. 1:4 and 5, “he hath chosen us … predestinated … according to the good pleasure of his will” has been distorted by John Calvin and his followers.

4. 1:6, “has made us accepted in the beloved” has been supplanted with the doctrine of the “Universal Church.”

5. 1:10, “the dispensation of the fulness of times” as with, “other ages” 3:5, has been distorted by just every denomination, and even among good brethren in good churches, to some extent.

6. 1:18, in the saints” has been supplanted by phrase “the Universal Church.”

7. 1:20, “heavenly places” it is very clear that the main emphasis of the book of Ephesians is spiritual.

8. 2:22 & 23, “to the church, which is his body ” a true church is comprised of only 'saints' and the Ephesian pastors were cognizant of this fact and knew that the church, all of the saints from every church, were part of the 'body of Christ'.

9. 2:1-3, “dead in trespasses and in sins,” has been distorted by John Calvin and his followers.

10. 2:7, “ages to come,” again, the book of Ephesians is primarily written about heaven and eternity and all of the doctrines in the book of Ephesians need to be interpreted thereby.

11. 2:8 & 9, “For by grace are ye saved through faith...” Salvation by grace, through faith, has been distorted by too many denominations and false teachers to list.

12. 2:12, “being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel … Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow-citizens with the saints.” Please notice the important word “with.” At the moment of salvation, a Gentile saint, in the New Testament church, is “grafted” into, “with,” the Jewish saints in the Old Testament: Romans 11:15-17, “For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? For is the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches be broken off and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree.” The 'church' does not replace Israel, nor become Israel. The Gentile saints, “a wild olive tree,” in the New Testament are “grafted in” with the saints in the nation of Israel. In the English language, with” and “grafted in” does not mean, “replace.” The Replacement Theology doctrine is a distortion.

12. 2:19, “household of God” is being supplanted by “the Universal Church.”

13. 2:19-22, “foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone,” has been distorted by the denominational churches and the Charismatics.

14. 3:5, “other ages” as with, “dispensation” in 1:10, has been distorted by many.

15. 3:9, “who created all things by Jesus Christ,” the biblical creation of the world has been distorted by pagans, Darwinist, liberals, and theistic evolutionists.

16. 4:1-5 and 4:13, “unity” in the local church, and among the saints, in our modern age has been supplanted to mean “unity among the different denominations.”

17. 4:8, The “gifts” of God have been distorted by every Charismatic since the days of Charles Parham and William Seymour.

18. 4:12, “edifying of the body of Christ” has been supplanted by, “edifying the universal church.”

19. 4:25, “even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself for it.” Is a direct reference to the 'saints' in Ephesus, the 'saints' in every local church, 'the beloved,' 'the body of Christ' and to the “general assembly” in heaven. All of the aforementioned appellations have been supplanted by the appellation, “the Universal Church.”

God, the Holy Spirit, deliberately, did not use the word “universal church” one time, in either the English, nor the Greek language, in the New Testament, as a reference to all of the saints in either the local assembly nor in the general assembly in heaven.

Conclusion

The warning given by Paul the apostle to the elders, or pastors, of the church at Ephesus in Acts 20:17-31, is applicable every pastor in every New Testament local church in every age. The pastor is to defend the flock from the infiltration of false doctrines by wolves in sheep clothing trying to get disciples to start their own church, internet study, or home bible study.

1“Perverse“ Webster, Noah American Dictionary of the English Language. 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C. J. Krehbiel Company, 2000.

Edited by Alan
scripture reference grammar

• Administrators

Well done Bro Alan. I especially liked your take on "Replacement Theology" in 12. 2:12. I find this very prevalent today. Many use it as an excuse to teach the keeping of certain parts of the law. Of course those "parts" only apply to their pet theories, not the whole law.

I have also found that there are otherwise godly men that will teach or refer to parts of replacement theology without understanding what it is  they are actually saying.