• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Heartwarming Hymn Stories"

• Members

"Sing My Song for Me" - "He Leadeth Me"... Psalm 23

"The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters." (23:1&2)

On the northwest corner of Broad and Arch Streets in Philadelphia stands an office building of the United Gas Improvement Company. On the front of this building is a bronze tablet paying tribute to a great hymn and its author, Joseph Gilmore.

In 1862, Mr. Gilmore was a guest speaker for a couple of Sundays and Wednesday evening prayer service at the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia. At the Wednesday service, March 26, he used Psalm 23 as a text, dwelling mostly on the phrase, "He leadeth me beside still waters." Since the Civil War was in full swing and things looked dark, this subject was especially dear to his heart that night.

After the service, Glimore and his wife returned to the home of Deacon Wattson, which was next door to the church. That evening the subject of the conversation was the same as that of the service--- the leadership of God. As they talked, Mr. Gilmore took a pencil and paper and began to write. When he had finished, he handed the verses to his wife and thought no more of them.

Three years later he went to the Second Baptist Church of Rochester, New York to candidate for the pastorate. Upon entering the chapel, he picked up a hymnal to see what type of songs they used. To his amazement, the first song his eyes fell on was his own, written in the home of Deacon Wattson!

His wife, without telling him, had sent the verses to the Watchman and Reflector, a paper published in Boston. William Bradbury set the verse to music.

Mr. Gilmore had the people of Rochester sing the song so he could hear how it sounded.

In 1926 the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia and Deacon Wattson's home were torn down and an office building constructed on that site. In memory of and appreciation for the song and its author, the gas company placed the bronze tablet on the front. The inscription begins with the first stanza of Mr. Gilmore's great song, "He Leadeth Me."

Pause for a moment with this thought: God wants to lead you in your daily walk. He uses several methods to give His children guidance and leadership: the Bible, pastors, Christian counselors, circumstances and impressions from Him gained through prayer and being open to His will. May God bless you!

In Christ Jesus ~

Molly