Jump to content
Online Baptist

Let God be True and Every Man a Liar


Recommended Posts

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I may offend someone on this, but I see and hear way too many Christians make the following statements

My Pastor said "...."
Keil & Delitch say "..."
Matthew Henry says "..."
David Cloud says "..."
Hyles Anderson says "..."

Who cares what men say. What did God say. Bro. Matt's father is a man that I look up to and respect greatly. I have never said "Dan Souza said "...". However, it seems many Christians today have no clue what their Bible says and rely on what a man says.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

“It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what he has revealed to others. My chat this afternoon is not for these great originals, but for you who are content to learn of holy men, taught of God, and mighty in the Scriptures. It has been the fashion of late years to speak against the use of commentaries. If there were any fear that the expositions of Matthew Henry, Gill, Scott, and others, would be exalted into Christian Targums, we would join the chorus of objectors, but the existence or approach of such a danger we do not suspect. The temptations of our times lie rather in empty pretensions to novelty of sentiment, than in a slavish following of accepted guides. A respectable acquaintance with the opinions of the giants of the past, might have saved many an erratic thinker from wild interpretations and outrageous inferences. Usually, we have found the despisers of commentaries to be men who have no sort of acquaintance with them; in their case, it is the opposite of familiarity which has bred contempt” (Spurgeon, Two Lectures Addressed to the Students of the Pastor’s College, Metropolitan Tabernaclehttp://www.book-academy.co.uk/lectures/index.html).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
2 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

“It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what he has revealed to others. My chat this afternoon is not for these great originals, but for you who are content to learn of holy men, taught of God, and mighty in the Scriptures. It has been the fashion of late years to speak against the use of commentaries. If there were any fear that the expositions of Matthew Henry, Gill, Scott, and others, would be exalted into Christian Targums, we would join the chorus of objectors, but the existence or approach of such a danger we do not suspect. The temptations of our times lie rather in empty pretensions to novelty of sentiment, than in a slavish following of accepted guides. A respectable acquaintance with the opinions of the giants of the past, might have saved many an erratic thinker from wild interpretations and outrageous inferences. Usually, we have found the despisers of commentaries to be men who have no sort of acquaintance with them; in their case, it is the opposite of familiarity which has bred contempt” (Spurgeon, Two Lectures Addressed to the Students of the Pastor’s College, Metropolitan Tabernaclehttp://www.book-academy.co.uk/lectures/index.html).

Not quite sure what you are saying, so you may want to clarify.

I, however, never said anything about using commentaries or other aides in studying Scripture. However, I am disturbed by the amount of people who put their trust in those individuals. I have an exhaustive library that I use to get others opinions when studying. However, whenever I speak on an issue or about an issue I don't care what Spurgeon, Hyles, David Cloud, or any other man thinks. I don't even care what I want the Bible to say. The question is "What does the Word of God say"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Well said brother

Satan(& self), just like every good fisherman, has a tackle box filled with different attacks and temptations, for Christians of every level.  This is one of those temptations for the more committed Christian, but yet not so committed to be in their Bible’s every day.

One of my personal objectives for years has been, to not have any “preconceived ideas”, that override or twists, God’s Word.  Your OP, is talking about the source of all “preconceived ideas”.  We are convinced about something(by someone), before we come to the Bible; Then we twist the Scripture to make it fit into our idea.

Being in our Bible(studying it), every day, will go a long way to deliver us from this trap, by revealing the truth to us, about what is going on in our mind....
"For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Notice, the last line...
“....a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

As we study God’s Word every day, He reveals to us when we are allowing “preconceived ideas”, to override the truth of His Word!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
12 hours ago, Pastorj said:

I may offend someone on this, but I see and hear way too many Christians make the following statements

My Pastor said "...."
Keil & Delitch say "..."
Matthew Henry says "..."
David Cloud says "..."
Hyles Anderson says "..."

Who cares what men say. What did God say. Bro. Matt's father is a man that I look up to and respect greatly. I have never said "Dan Souza said "...". However, it seems many Christians today have no clue what their Bible says and rely on what a man says.

Back the the original post: I don't think pastorj is talking about commentaries. I read it like he means Christians quoting what people in general say, or pastors.

But he does ask the question, "who cares what men say?"  In response I would answer, "I care what men say." What I mean by this is simply that there are men of God who do have important things to say. After all, if we don't care what men say, why listen or believe what men like the Apostle Paul say. I think in answer to this question a lot depends on who we are listening to and quoting. We certainly would not listen to men that twist Scripture, or spout their own theories.

Even the Apostle Paul , when writing to Timothy said these words, " 2Ti 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also."

If men like your pastor have something uplifting, Scriptural and beneficial to say, I see nothing wrong with quoting it to others.

If we don't care what others say, then why even come to places like OB?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Hello everyone

I have been away for a while, but I am back and I have a new OP idea, ready to post, but I can’t seem to find anywhere to post it.  This site used to have several areas to choose from, for posting new threads.  I know this is the wrong format to ask this kind of a question, but I couldn’t find any place else to ask it.

Thank you in advance, for your help.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
15 hours ago, Donald said:

Hello everyone

I have been away for a while, but I am back and I have a new OP idea, ready to post, but I can’t seem to find anywhere to post it.  This site used to have several areas to choose from, for posting new threads.  I know this is the wrong format to ask this kind of a question, but I couldn’t find any place else to ask it.

Thank you in advance, for your help.

 

Donald, we have many different forums on this board with different subjects on each forum. Please make sure you are logged in or you probably will not see all the options.

Just pick a forum that most closely relates to your topic and click the "New Topic" link at the top of the forum. A blank topic window will open where you can post your topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 60 Guests (See full list)

  • Tell a friend

    Love Online Baptist? Tell a friend!
  • Members

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Alan

      Happy Birthday John Young! God Bless! 🍰
      · 1 reply
    • KJV ME!

      Now it is time for me to step out of my shell and let go... I AM STRICT KJV!... In scripture God said he would preserve his word... Well did he or didn't he?... If there is every translation under the sun, then he didn't but I KNOW HE DID!... The preserved word of God called the KJV is for the English people has been around for over 400 years and what is interesting to me, is the KJV was translated in 1611 and the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620... Coincidence?... A new book the preserved KJV word of God for the New World... So take that you KJV naysayers... I have been reading, studying and digging through the KJV for over 50 years... My belief is 100% Christ and scripture says so... Glad to be here and its time to take these shackles off!   
      John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
      I am... Brother Ramsey
       
      · 1 reply
    • stan1964stanssb

      Praise God I found such a powerhouse of the outpouring of His Spirit and unapologetic in regards of the defense of the KJV Bible. When I became a Christian back in 1984, I was told to get & read the KJV. It's been my choice all these years.
      · 0 replies
    • 1Timothy115  »  Ukulelemike

      Mike,
      RE: This is why I am here, why are you?
      Also, the land in Egypt wasn't land God gave them it was land Joseph through Pharaoh gave them. God gave them Canaan.
      Dave 
      · 1 reply
    • Alan

      Praise the Lord! Sherry and I, safe, tired, and joyful,  are back in Taiwan.
      · 0 replies
  • Popular Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      27,621
    • Total Posts
      279,874
  • Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Alan

      Happy Birthday John Young! God Bless! 🍰
      · 1 reply
    • KJV ME!

      Now it is time for me to step out of my shell and let go... I AM STRICT KJV!... In scripture God said he would preserve his word... Well did he or didn't he?... If there is every translation under the sun, then he didn't but I KNOW HE DID!... The preserved word of God called the KJV is for the English people has been around for over 400 years and what is interesting to me, is the KJV was translated in 1611 and the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620... Coincidence?... A new book the preserved KJV word of God for the New World... So take that you KJV naysayers... I have been reading, studying and digging through the KJV for over 50 years... My belief is 100% Christ and scripture says so... Glad to be here and its time to take these shackles off!   
      John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
      I am... Brother Ramsey
       
      · 1 reply
    • stan1964stanssb

      Praise God I found such a powerhouse of the outpouring of His Spirit and unapologetic in regards of the defense of the KJV Bible. When I became a Christian back in 1984, I was told to get & read the KJV. It's been my choice all these years.
      · 0 replies
    • 1Timothy115  »  Ukulelemike

      Mike,
      RE: This is why I am here, why are you?
      Also, the land in Egypt wasn't land God gave them it was land Joseph through Pharaoh gave them. God gave them Canaan.
      Dave 
      · 1 reply
    • Alan

      Praise the Lord! Sherry and I, safe, tired, and joyful,  are back in Taiwan.
      · 0 replies
×
×
  • Create New...