• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cameron Giovanelli Resigns From Golden State Baptist College

• Members
On 6/2/2018 at 9:18 AM, DaveW said:

Now, don't get me wrong here - I am not disagreeing with your general points, but to answer this specific question:

1Ti 3:4-5  One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (5)  (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

I know this is specific to Pastors, but it makes that point that a man should "rule his house well". This is talking about rank and position - the Man is the "ruler" or "leader" of his house.

Before I get a big backlash and a pummelling from all and sundry, this general issue is one that I have long been concerned about - so many men do not how to "rule their house well" in a genuinely Biblical sense.

It is not for a man to a totalitarian ruler, and a man certainly doesn't rule alone - He is after all part of "one flesh" formed at marriage.

And a man should always remember that he rules his house in (Biblical) love.

And I also agree with you that there seems to be a huge "Man bashing" sentiment going around in certain preaching. 

Without a doubt, there needs to be BIBLICAL teaching on marriage relationships and family relationships, and much of what is passed off as "Family teaching" and "Marriage teaching" is not very biblical at all.

This is part of my point. The Bible uses the word "rule" but men have softened it to "leader". Yes, I agree that it is to be in love and is not to be totalitarian, but it seems to me that the word "rule" conveys much more "authority" than "leader" does. A husband should not HAVE to impose a dictatorial rule over his house if the rest of the family do their part. I hear this all the time(paraphrasing): "If the husband will "lead" the wife will automatically just follow". That is simply not true. It takes both, working together with the same goal: to unify and solidify the family. Many women say "How do I get my husband to "lead?" And men say "my wife won't submit". Someone needs to SHOW them how!

Years ago, when I was a young Christian, my Wife and I were invited to our pastor's home for dinner. During the meal, the pastor scolded his wife about the something he found wrong with the meatloaf. But then thsi same pastor would chide men from the pulpit about "not leading their homes"! Wouldn't it be best to show them HOW? You don't do that by cutting down her meatloaf if front of the guests. Read 1 Peter chapter 3...the whole chapter. It explains what the husband and wife are supposed to do. But it's up to Christians to LIVE it out before others so they can see HOW. Yes, the husband is supposed to be the RULER of the house, but it will never happen if he isn't shown how to love and the order of the home will never be right if the wife isn't taught how to submit or, heaven forbid the phrase, "be in subjection". Contrary to what the world thinks, neither is a bad thing! And you don't have to call the husband a mere "leader" when God's word says he's to be the "ruler". I will start a thread when I get time. Must get back to work.

One more thing, I would add, and it's very important. When the pastor scolded his wife in front of us, I don't recall her talking back or saying anything other than maybe "I'm sorry". She was a Godly Christian lady, who always had a smile, and everyone loved her. You will find the Godly way she behaved mentioned in 1 Peter chapter 3, particularly verses 1 and 2.  SHE was being the "leader" that day.

Edited by heartstrings

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

One of my biggest complaints when something like this happens to a preacher that they just go to another church/ministry. I'm not following this case too closely, but I hoping that is not the case here. (I've only heard one side of the story here so I'm kinda leaning toward that). 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I believe Mr Giovanelli landed in Jacksonville Florida (Pastor Greg Neal) at Immanuel Baptist, and was positioned to lead their new Bible College that I believe was to open in 2020.  If this is all true, it truly saddens me, as between this and the guy at the church in Hammond give IFB a bad name.

Edited by 1John2:15-17

• Moderators

Since this topic has risen once again, I habe heard that there's news on the topic, but habent heard what it is.

I never have my thoughts on this, but I believe that first off, NVBC did right in how they handled it on their end; the offense did not occur at their church or school, and a careful investigation was made to ensure nothing had occurred with the students. As well Giovanelli was immediately removed from all duties once the issue was made known to them, and they began their investigation into it. I know Shiflett didn't find this to be enough in his eyes, but since the allegations were made by only one witness, scripturally what do we see? 1 Timothy 5:19 KJV
"Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses."

So with only one witness, and that shakey, I think, having waited how many years to say anything, and at this point I still don't even know what the accusation was, it was correct how the church proceeded. 

As for what he is doing now, the allegations are public, his current church knows about it, and as far as I understand Giovanelli has submitted himself to authorities while the investigation continues.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 1/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, HappyChristian said:

Yes, I saw that. I see that he was removed off North Florida Baptist College website and not listed on the church staff either. I don't understand why a church would hire him during the investigation. 

Part of the agreement is that Giovanelli does not have to register as a sex offender. If he did do what was claimed, he got off way to easy.

• Members

Never, ever be alone with the opposite sex or someone else's children/grandchildren. That way you are far less likely to be falsely accused. And never leave your kids alone with someone else, even a preacher or deacon: If a preacher or deacon is what he ought to be, he will insist on that as well. Our church always has two attendants in the nursery, and "children's church" at all times.