• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Morality Behind Christian Women Wearing Pants

Go to solution Solved by Jordan Kurecki,

• Members

The question that I would like to raise is whether or not it is considered sinful for Christian women to wear pants, and why that is the case.

The controversy within this community regarding women's apparel has manifested itself countless of times whether it be in small local churches, such as my own, or large scale conventions and conferences where the attire of an individual, typically a woman's, is criticized or condemned. Personally, I believe that one should place more emphasis on behavior/actions and our faith than in the triviality of appearances. However, I am aware of the fervent stance that many of us have regarding this issue and I would like to hear/see our opinions on the matter, and whether they differ at all.

Edited by Katherine Solarte

• Members

As a woman, I don't think it's a sin...there are times when wearing pants/jeans is appropriate. I had to wear them for years for safety reasons...construction sites are NOT set up for someone in a dress or skirt. I think modesty is more a state of mind rather than what's on your body. Its an attitude that doesn't call attention to self. That said, since I no longer have to deal with construction sites, I wear skirts/dresses much more often now. 

I think the idea is that women should look like women and men should look like men. I think each woman should pray about what the Lord would have her do when it comes to wardrobe. 

• Members
  • Solution

Personally, Pants tends to draw the attention of men's eye to the woman thighs and bottom. I will say however i much more prefer loose pants than a short skirt no a lady, however I would prefer NEITHER. I do not really feel comfortable with woman wearing pants, I do think they blur somewhat of the distinction between the sexes, however our culture is changing and though my preference is against them, I have a hard time with my own conscience to condemn pants from scripture. 

Modesty is definitely an attitude, but that attitude should manifest itself in the way one dresses. I detest when people who are selfish and just want to dress their own way use the "modesty is a heart thing" excuse. Not that anyone here is necessarily doing that. Every issue is a heart issue, but the heart issue manifests itself in many ways. 

I have noticed also however that dresses and skirts on Christian women are becoming thinner and more form fitting... the other day I was at a Baptist Church and young teenage girl was wearing a long skirt that was tight and EXTREMELY thin, in fact it was so thin and tightthat anyone could see the outlines of her underwear and  basically see all the contours of her bottom. I find that very troubling. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

...and then what about necklines or form-fitting tops on women.  I believe modest apparel and appropriate apparel is quite Biblical.  A woman working with Preschoolers may best be serving in clothing that keeps areas covered when bending or turning.

• Members
On 5/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, Pastorj said:

Modesty is the key to clothing and both Men and Women fail in this area far too often, even in church. I am amazed at the clothes Christians wear. The short shorts, the low necklines, tight clothes, etc.  

In the sermon, "The Mule Walked On," by Lester Roloff, uploaded by Matt in "Sermon," Lester Roloff stated, "We need to learn  how to dress like Christians."

• Members

Going back even further, it was the men who carried hunting pouches, possibles bags and such.  Now the ladies where them and they are called purses!  

If an activity causes one to sin, then maybe one shouldn't be doing it?  Just a thought!  My children ask me about dressing properly and then ask about water sports like diving or hunting and I reply that if you cannot dress for the Lord in that activity, you should not do it.  Cheerleaders, ballerinas, most competitive sports all put the woman into immodest forms of dress.    

• Members

Heartstrings stated, "Bruce Jenner, the once mighty athlete is now "Kaitlin Jenner" wearing a dress".  Why?  Because wearing a dress clearly pertains unto a woman, which Bruce Jenner and other transvestites, effeminate, and gay people understand more than it seems many Christians.  You don't find those that are trying to look like women wearing blue jeans for some reason.

Deuteronomy 22:5 King James Version (KJV)

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

The issue is clear and the clothing can even differ in many cultures, but in EVERY culture and time there is always a clear difference between what is considered women and men clothing.  For me, if I can't tell from 200 yards away whether someone is male or female by what they are wearing, then the line has already been crossed.  If I have to look and examine closely parts of a persons body that I should not be resting my eyes on just to determine whether it is a man or a woman in those pants, then it is clearly clothing that pertains unto a man.  The strongest word God uses when listing anything as a sin is "abomination".  I try to steer very clear of even approaching anything called an abomination by God.

2bLikeJesus

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.

• Members
On 5/15/2018 at 2:01 PM, RayTX said:

...and then what about necklines or form-fitting tops on women.  I believe modest apparel and appropriate apparel is quite Biblical.  A woman working with Preschoolers may best be serving in clothing that keeps areas covered when bending or turning.

The way I'm built, they're ALL form-fitting. If I want to try to hide what's in front, I might as well wear a tent. I don't wear low cut but there's absolutely NO question I am a woman.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, swathdiver said:

Not addressed in this post is that to dress like a man is an abomination.  Men wear pants.  It was the leftists, the God-haters, who began the unisex movement.  Why would a Christian want to follow after them?

Yes, men wear pants...however, in certain situations, it's a safety matter. And, if I AM wearing pants, it's still pretty obvious I am a woman. Women's pants are cut quite differently from men's pants. I cannot wear pants that are cut for men. They just do not fit right. I'm short, on the chubby side, and it isn't hard to figure out I'm female from the back or the front. 

For the record, I wear dresses/skirts and tops most of the time. I will not swim in a public pool or a beach. Any time I'm wearing shorts/tank tops, I'm inside my home. I get dressed for church. I don't normally wear make up or jewelry other than my wedding rings. My hair is to my waist. However, in the days when I was walking around construction sites, I wore the appropriate personal protective equipment including jeans, workboots, reflective vest, hard hat, etc 

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, swathdiver said:

Not addressed in this post is that to dress like a man is an abomination.  Men wear pants.  (emphasis added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Indeed, when God Himself designed an outfit for Adam, He created pants for Adam, right?

Indeed, when God Himself designed an outfit for the high priesthood of Israel, He designed pants as outer wear for them, right?

Indeed, when God Himself commanded Moses to deliver the instruction of Deuteronomy 22:5 unto Israel, the men wore pants, right?

Indeed, when God's Word represents God Himself as wearing some form of clothing, it represents Him as wearing pants, right?

Indeed, when our Lord Jesus Christ engaged in His ministry upon the earth, He wore pants like any truly godly man would, right?

Indeed, when our Lord Jesus Christ appeared in His exalted form before John in Revelation 1, He is portrayed as wearing pants, right?

Certainly, since pants-wear is THE clothing piece that represents masculinity and masculine authority, then the highest male authority of all the creation would be wearing pants, right?

I wonder - Who invented pants-wear (even for men)?  Was it God?  Was it a godly culture or a godly individual?  Or was it a pagan culture?

• Members
21 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, when God Himself designed an outfit for Adam, He created pants for Adam, right?

Indeed, when God Himself designed an outfit for the high priesthood of Israel, He designed pants as outer wear for them, right?

Indeed, when God Himself commanded Moses to deliver the instruction of Deuteronomy 22:5 unto Israel, the men wore pants, right?

Indeed, when God's Word represents God Himself as wearing some form of clothing, it represents Him as wearing pants, right?

Indeed, when our Lord Jesus Christ engaged in His ministry upon the earth, He wore pants like any truly godly man would, right?

Indeed, when our Lord Jesus Christ appeared in His exalted form before John in Revelation 1, He is portrayed as wearing pants, right?

Certainly, since pants-wear is THE clothing piece that represents masculinity and masculine authority, then the highest male authority of all the creation would be wearing pants, right?

I wonder - Who invented pants-wear (even for men)?  Was it God?  Was it a godly culture or a godly individual?  Or was it a pagan culture?

It says "that which pertaineth to a man" . If you're an Eskimo, you wear a man-styled "parka". If you're a 'bronze age" Jew, you wear whatever men wore back then. But there was a DISTINCTION in the clothes of the sexes.  In our culture, "Pants" "leggings" or "breeches" have long "pertained" to the men, and likewise dresses or skirts to women. But then you should already know that; right?

Image result for eskimo clothing

Image result for 18th century american clothing

Image result for 19th century american clothing

Related image

Edited by heartstrings