• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance What is it?

• Members

Since it is obvious that Repentance is necessary for salvation, we should be concerned with what it is as soul winners, but I wonder how often the word is actual defined properly. 

Can you define repentance as it relates to salvation with the following

1. Using the lexical meaning of the word and not your own preconceived theological notions of what the word means

2. taking into account the context of biblical passages that contain the word 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Since it is obvious that Repentance is necessary for salvation, we should be concerned with what it is as soul winners, but I wonder how often the word is actual defined properly. 

1. Using the lexical meaning of the word and not your own preconceived theological notions of what the word means

Uh oh, can of worms time. :10_wink:

• Members
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Jordan Kurecki said:

Jordan,

Repentance has been defined by people in many ways which is why it's a can of worms, more like bees.

I will add more later since you want the "Lexical" meaning. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Having done a lot more study and thinking about repentance, here is my conclusion. 

The word repent is a compound word Metanoeo 

"Meta" meaning "change", and "Noeo" meaning "mind". So we can say that repentance is a change of mind. the question is: a change of mind about what?

The best way I can see it is I see Repentance is a change of mind in 3 areas.

1. About Sin

Realizing the severity of sin, the fact that we are condemned by sin, and the accepting of guilt for our sin, I however am very hesitant to ascribe any idea of "turning from sin" if it means being willing to give up sin, or abandon a sinful lifestyle, or make any kind of commitment to not sin, I would however make somewhat of an exception for someone who refuses to get saved because they love their sin, oftentimes a love for sin causes many to reject the Gospel of Jesus Christ. this would be the only case where I am willing to say they must "turn from their sin". For example my mom told my Pastor she doesn't want to get saved because "I like my lifestyle too much". If someone says that one must "turn from sin" and they mean that they must accept and knowledge their guilt of sin, that it displeases God and that they have sinned against him and are guilty of death, then yes I agree, sinners must "turn from their sin", if however it means a sinner must give up sin, and that he must make a change in his own life, then I do not agree. 

Revelation 9:20-21 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Revelation 16:9-11And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds

2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

2. About Self

We must realize that we have no righteousness of our own, we have no merit in ourselves to earn salvation, and all our righteousness is as filthy rags in God's eyes, no amount of works can make up for or cover our sins. 

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Luke 18:9-14 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Romans 3:10-20As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

3. About the Saviour

We must change our mind and repent about Christ, there must be an acceptance of him as the payment for our sins, an accepting that his name is the only name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved, that he is the Way the truth and the life and that no man can come unto the Father but by him. We turn to him and must place all of our faith and trust in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and in the Christ of the Gospel as the one who does all of the saving our our soul from sin. 

This aspect of repentance implies a turning from the thing which one is trusting, whether it's an idol, money, possessions, false religion, etc 

1 Timothy 6:16 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 

1 Th 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; 

Acts 17:29-30 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

(Note this is a command to repent and believe in the true God as opposed to trusting in idols, the context is a repentance about idolatry one must turn from trusting in idols to trusting in Christ in order to be saved)

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Acts 20:29  Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I found a Greek word :)

"Metanoia"

First of all, God "repents" but He doesn't "repent". 

Exodus 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

1 Samuel 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Two applications of a word, same meaning.(Right Brother Markle?)I don't know Greek, but from reading many occurrences of the word "repent" in the KJB, I've come to believe that "repent" means, basically, to "turn from" or "turn against". Thus, in Exodus 32:14, God "turned from" the evil (bad stuff) that he was going to do to His people. Why? Because Moses interceded(which is what God wanted in the first place). But in 1 Samuel we find that God doesn't "repent" which just means is that God has no sin, no mistakes, no failures etc. to "turn from" or "against". God is pure, holy, and has no need for that.

Then there is the question of the place in Genesis where God says "it repenteth me that I have made man'. Some people say that meant God "changed His mind" or "regretted" making man. But I don't believe God has any regrets because He doesn't make mistakes. No, If you look at the verse,  it doesn't say there that "God repented": it says "it repenteth me". I think that phrase is saying that "my creation has "turned against me". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to your question, though, I can speak from experience, that I "turned against" sin and self and "turned to" Jesus. It's like some have said, "you just do an about face". it's not a step one, step two, step three thing to get saved. God, in His love and mercy, made salvation incredibly simple. And "repentance" in salvation IS part of "faith"; the two are inseparable.

Edited by heartstrings