• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did Jesus Die

• Administrators

This subject has been beaten to death here on these forums. I suggest that anyone interested in it do a search for these posts. You will find all the details of this subject, both pro and con, along with the reasoning for the different beliefs have been covered in depth.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This subject has been beaten to death here on these forums. I suggest that anyone interested in it do a search for these posts. You will find all the details of this subject, both pro and con, along with the reasoning for the different beliefs have been covered in depth.

Well I would assume that most subjects on this forum have been beaten to death, sorry for posting.  Is there a way to delete it? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

Well I would assume that most subjects on this forum have been beaten to death, sorry for posting.  Is there a way to delete it? 

@Baptistsenior It's not a problem to repost on a subject that's been discussed before, so no deleting is necessary. It's a good idea, though, for mention of previous postings on a given subject to be made so that if the parties are interested they can look them up.

I don't believe Christ was crucified on Friday, because the Passover took place with an extra sabbath - which would make Thursday a likelier day than Friday, with the possibility of it even being on Wednesday. :14_relaxed: See? Differences abound...even with our own personal thoughts. :1_grinning:

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

I am sorry if my post seemed to be offensive to you Baptistsenior, it was not meant in that way. I was not even responding to your original post, I was addressing what Pastorj said and his mention that this was easy.

Please forgive me if you have been offended by what I said. You, or anyone else may feel free to post any topic you like, within forum guidelines.

May God bless you as you serve Him.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Well, from my perspective those who hold to the Wednesday crucifixion viewpoint do so based solely upon the single verse of Matthew 12:40, without considering all of the other verses that relate unto the subject.

That is a rather all-encompassing statement, and quite simply not true of me.

I have done extensive study and have come to the conclusion that Jesus died on Wednesday - based on far more Bible evidence than just Matt 12:40.

• Administrators

I just have to put in a plug...I knew Doug (the man behind pulpitaflame) way back when. I worked for Dr. Boyd when Doug  traveled with him. I got to meet his brand new  wife Rhonda as well. Not that this info adds to the topic, but I just think it's really cool when I hear about folks I've known in the past. And to find that they are still serving the Lord.

• Members

The bible teaches us that Christ died on the cross at 3pm on Wednesay the 14th of Nisan which was the Passover and the ninth hour of the day.  He was entombed, the door rolled closed, at precisely 6pm which began the night of the next day, the High Passover Sabbath, 15th of Nisan.  Exactly 72 hours later, as stated repeatedly throughout the bible, he left the tomb at precisely 6pm, the beginning of the Jewish Sunday, Nisan the 18th.  This would have been our modern 6pm Saturday night.

I too have posted on this quite a bit in the past and was an enjoyable though tedious study to get it right.  I have posted my sources before though I reckon by now some of the links are dead.  It's in a spreadsheet and someday I'll finish connecting all the verses to the timeline for my children and anyone else interested. 

• Members
11 hours ago, DaveW said:

That is a rather all-encompassing statement, and quite simply not true of me.

I have done extensive study and have come to the conclusion that Jesus died on Wednesday - based on far more Bible evidence than just Matt 12:40.

Indeed, Brother Dave,

My statement was overly encompassing. I do withdraw it, and do ask forgiveness from all who were needlessly faulted by its rashness.

Concerning the matter of Christ's resurrection, I wish to ask a question (or, a connected series of questions) that I desire to be answered with a direct quote from Scripture.  We all recognize that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on the first day of the week, that is -- on Sunday.  So, I ask --

1.  Was our Lord Jesus Christ resurrected the first day after his crucifixion?
2.  Or was our Lord Jesus Christ resurrected the second day after his crucifixion?
3.  Or was our Lord Jesus Christ resurrected the third day after his crucifixion?
4.  Or was our Lord Jesus Christ resurrected the fourth day after his crucifixion?

• Administrators

While I personally believe it was on a Wednesday based up my Bible studies, the important aspect of all of this is NOT the day that he died, but the fact that He is NOT dead and rose again. That's the amazing part of this story.

• Members

Wrong tack brother, but the only mentions are like:

Mat 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again. 

NOT "after".