• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My granddaughter

• Members

I have briefly mentioned my granddaughter Rachel on the kitchen .  Rachel is 21 on Friday and has cancer on he right ovary.  For her birthday she is not asking for anything but donations for  Endometriosis Research Center and Women's Hospital, Inc.  on Facebook.

Rachel is studying French and Photography at Surrey University.

Please pray for Rachel, 

• Members

We went to lunch with our daughter and family today.  We met Rachel which was a surprise as she said that she couldn't come as her sister Jemimah had a cold and Rachel shouldn't be with those who have a cold or the flu, but Jemimah is over it now,  It was a pleasant  surprise. Rachel returned this evening and has an appointment at the surgery on the campus tomorrow,  I told her that there are many people praying for her.

• Administrators

Yes Invicta, it is critical that anyone with cancer not be exposed to anyone that has any kind of sickness like colds or flu. When my late wife had cancer we severely limited where we went for that reason. We mostly stayed home where we could control her exposure to sickness. Cancer, as well as chemo severely compromises the immune system.

• Members

As to my health, I had a lesion removed from my head about four weeks ago and I had a letter from the hospital today that confirmed it was skin cancer.  They say it was completely removed and I don't need further treatment but I have an out patient appointment in about a month.

I have memory problems and had a blood test recently, and my doctor phoned me to say I had a severe vitamin deficiency and I needed to take three extra tablets a day, or have an injection once every three months, but would have to have an injection three times a week for two weeks first.  I am not sure which is worse,  I elected for the injections.   If it helps my memory it may be worth it.

I can't remember which vitamin the Dr said it was.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
17 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Both you and your doctor should keep a close watch on this condition. Skin cancer is a malignant Melanoma and can be extremely dangerous if not caught in time and treated properly.

Praying for you brother.  

Thank you.  I have looked into this further and it seems it is not malignant type.  I have an outpatients appointment at the hospital on 16th March, that is a week after our 50th Wedding anniversary.  

My dad was one of a family of 14.  Some died as infants.  I have managed to trace 10 on census  on line.  One died by being run over by a horse and cart when he was 9, one had Parkinsons disease, and the other 8 all died of various forms of Cancer, including my dad.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 13/02/2018 at 11:59 PM, Invicta said:

Thank you.  I have looked into this further and it seems it is not malignant type.  I have an outpatients appointment at the hospital on 16th March, that is a week after our 50th Wedding anniversary.  

My dad was one of a family of 14.  Some died as infants.  I have managed to trace 10 on census  on line.  One died by being run over by a horse and cart when he was 9, one had Parkinsons disease, and the other 8 all died of various forms of Cancer, including my dad.

I had my appointment on Friday and the nurse said it was healing well and I have to go for another appointment in four weeks.

On 07/02/2018 at 1:38 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Please keep us updated on Rachel's progress with her cancer treatments.

I asked Rachel how her treatment is going and she sent the following reply.

• "They are not sure yet, but they're not giving up so that's good news."

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I spoke to my granddaughter Rachel a couple of days ago on a Messenger video call after getting many missed calls each way. I don't like calling her too much as I know that due to her illness she is very much behind in her course.She looked much better than last time I saw her and her hair is growing again after chemo.  She is still having hospital appointments but says they are only investigating;

Edited by Invicta

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Last week was a great week for our family,  Our eldest grandson David James got his degree from Loughborough University.  Construction Management.  He has alredy started a Job.

Grandaughter Jemimah got married to Josh Hawkes.

Rachel and her friend Kezia took most of the photos.  Rachel looked really well, much better than last time I saw her when she was looking very ill and had no hair.

We pray for Rachel's continued recovery as well as Jamimah and Josh's future together.

Jemimmah amd Josh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

THank you all.

I saw Rachel yesterday and she looked really well.  She said at present she is completely clear of Cancer, although she has to go for a checkup every other week, because she was so unwell earlier, she has to take her first semester again next year,  As she is hoping to get a first in her French degree, that causes her a problem as she has to do a year in France to get the first, and due to Brexit they are placing restrictions on English students and she won't be able to get EU funding or to work legally in France to support herself.

Edited by Invicta

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm glad, @Invicta, that she is clear of cancer. What a weight that must be off you and your wife and the rest of the family! Being checked every other week is good, too, because if it returns they should be able to catch it that much quicker.  That's rough about the degree stuff.