Online Baptist

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
On 7/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet this would still leave open the question -- Are you talking about General Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Particular Baptist (Calvinist in belief system), Free Will Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Regular Baptist (somewhat Calvinist in belief system), or some other kind of Baptist?  Even so, claiming to be Baptist does not necessarily distinguish you from the question concerning Calvinist or Arminian, nor does it actually answer which (if either) you might be.

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

The Calvinists believe that God decreed all events to happen including the sin of unbelief, thus human depravity has no influence in man when he is called by God.  

The Arminians believe that man by his own determination can come to God, and man not so depraved but there is good in him.  

The Biblicist believes that man being depraved and under the influence of his depraved nature yet when under the influence of God, the Holy Spirit and the preaching of God's word, has the freewill to either humble under God's grace and influence and obey the gospel to repent and believe or to remain pride and follow his depraved nature.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with aligning to those terms is how they are defined by those groups. They don't mean what you mean when you say "Totally Depraved", or "perserverance" as a couple of examples.

I find it alarming that too many people think that there are only two choices here. Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

God Would Have ALL Men to be Saved!!   2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;   1Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowl

Posted Images

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
50 minutes ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

• Members
7 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

I would stick to the Bible yet I do acknowledge that there are some truths and false held by Calvinists and Arminians and whichever is in harmony with the Scriptures that will I hold.  

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
41 minutes ago, mbkjpreacher said:

I would stick to the Bible yet I do acknowledge that there are some truths and false held by Calvinists and Arminians and whichever is in harmony with the Scriptures that will I hold.  

Amen, and AMEN!!!