Online Baptist

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with aligning to those terms is how they are defined by those groups. They don't mean what you mean when you say "Totally Depraved", or "perserverance" as a couple of examples.

I find it alarming that too many people think that there are only two choices here. Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

I would repeat my previous answer. I am a Biblicist. Neither John Calvin, nor Jacob Arminius, were correct in there writings.  And, neither one is a standard for doctrine. If the person is seekin

Posted Images

• Members
On 2/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

Either viewpoint is within orthodoxy, but think that 5 point calvinist viewpoint in regards to Sotierology proper fits the biblical account the best!

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

It's not what we think but what the Bible says. The Bible says that "God so loved the world" not some of the world. The Bible says that "God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked". The Bible says that "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance". The Bible documents that people can hear the Gospel, be convicted, and then reject it of their own free will. And God has documented that He loves people who He knows will reject Him. I can give you more but I'm kind of busy right now.

4 hours ago, DaChaser said:

Either viewpoint is within orthodoxy, but think that 5 point calvinist viewpoint in regards to Sotierology proper fits the biblical account the best!

Calvinism and Arminianism are both heresy because they backload works into the gospel! Anyone preaching Calvinism or Arminianism is accursed and must be marked and avoided as per Romans 16:17-18! Calvinism and Arminianism can not save and will not save!!!

1 hour ago, gracelife said:

Calvinism and Arminianism are both heresy because they backload works into the gospel! Anyone preaching Calvinism or Arminianism is accursed and must be marked and avoided as per Romans 16:17-18! Calvinism and Arminianism can not save and will not save!!!

I think Arminianism more often can be a false Gospel, Calvinism not so much. Most of the Calvinists I know believe that salvation is through faith in the Gospel. BTW I do not accept Calvinism. 

• Members
On 2/3/2018 at 11:28 AM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

lol It sounds like you still have Christians there in America; "Christians" anyway. We NEVER get those sort of questions whilst knocking doors here. It's so funny. Australians don't have near the amount of Christian influence. I also worked out that America has about 20-30 times the amount of IB churches in Australia. Tasmania has about 2 or 3 churches. Northern Territory has about 1. Victoria might have 10. South Australia has about 5. Most of them are in New south wales and Queensland. The other three states I cant remember but probably not more than 10. Anyway, all up we have about 250 maybe. And most of them are churches of about 30-70 people. 70 is big. 40 is very very common. And most are seperated by hundreds and thousands of km from each other. Actually, it's lonely.

• Members
13 minutes ago, LYDIA WESTERN said:

lol It sounds like you still have Christians there in America; "Christians" anyway. We NEVER get those sort of questions whilst knocking doors here. It's so funny. Australians don't have near the amount of Christian influence. I also worked out that America has about 20-30 times the amount of IB churches in Australia. Tasmania has about 2 or 3 churches. Northern Territory has about 1. Victoria might have 10. South Australia has about 5. Most of them are in New south wales and Queensland. The other three states I cant remember but probably not more than 10. Anyway, all up we have about 250 maybe. And most of them are churches of about 30-70 people. 70 is big. 40 is very very common. And most are seperated by hundreds and thousands of km from each other. Actually, it's lonely.

actually its more like 150 all up, 200 max. I cant figure out how to edit a post ive already posted?

• Members
16 hours ago, gracelife said:

Both of them affirm the gospel , so neither would be heresy, but do think Calvinism understands the process from the scriptures best on just how God saved lost sinners!

15 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I think Arminianism more often can be a false Gospel, Calvinism not so much. Most of the Calvinists I know believe that salvation is through faith in the Gospel. BTW I do not accept Calvinism. 

I kn ow of no calvinist/reformed that would deny the theology of pauline Justification!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

I was predestined to believe in free will. 

If a person gets saved, he then becomes one of those predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ. But before that same man believes on Jesus and gets saved, he's not predestined to anything: He's on his way to Hell.

• Members
24 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

If a person gets saved, he then becomes one of those predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ. But before that same man believes on Jesus and gets saved, he's not predestined to anything: He's on his way to Hell.

I know Calvinist's who would argue that the unsaved were predestined for hell from before the world was formed. 

Predestination has nothing to do with God predetermining who goes to heaven or who goes to hell! It has nothing to do with salvation at all! It is about believers being predestined for adoption, for an inheritance, and to be conformed into the image of Christ. All future events. Calvinism is heresy and must be rejected!!!

17 hours ago, SureWord said:

A question I always had about Calvinism is what about babies who die? If we are predestined does that mean there are babies in hell? Or do only predestined babies die as I had one Calivinist suggest?

My wife and I had two still-born daughters and I know they are in heaven! Calvinism is pure evil!!! It is from the pit of hell!!!

God created some to go to Hell for His "glory" and we can't accept that because "God's ways are higher than our ways". (even though Genesis chapter 3 says we have "knowledge of good and evil"). Hey, even LOST people know that's evil.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, SureWord said:

A question I always had about Calvinism is what about babies who die? If we are predestined does that mean there are babies in hell? Or do only predestined babies die as I had one Calivinist suggest?

Paul covers this issue quite competently and clearly, in Romans 7:

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death."

The highlighted area seems quite clear to me: The only was someone, particularly a Jew, could be alive without the law, was if, for some reason, the law didn't apply to them. We know Paul grew up a Jew, so the law was his rule of life-how could he have once been alive without it? Only is, as a small child, he had no understanding of it, of right and wrong and sin and punishment. BUT, when the commandment came, when he reached an understanding of it, sin, which had always been [resent in him, but sleeping, of no effect without understanding, revived, gained power over him, and he spiritually died. See, he didn't know lust until he understood that the Law taught Thou shalt not covet.  Sin applies only when we understand right and wrong. 

• Members
18 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Paul covers this issue quite competently and clearly, in Romans 7:

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death."

The highlighted area seems quite clear to me: The only was someone, particularly a Jew, could be alive without the law, was if, for some reason, the law didn't apply to them. We know Paul grew up a Jew, so the law was his rule of life-how could he have once been alive without it? Only is, as a small child, he had no understanding of it, of right and wrong and sin and punishment. BUT, when the commandment came, when he reached an understanding of it, sin, which had always been [resent in him, but sleeping, of no effect without understanding, revived, gained power over him, and he spiritually died. See, he didn't know lust until he understood that the Law taught Thou shalt not covet.  Sin applies only when we understand right and wrong. 

The answer varies depending upon the Calvinist, as some would say only infants of saved parents, others would say only those who are the elect, I would say that God has chosen to elect in Chruist those who cannot do anything, such as babies and mentally handicapped persons!

• Members
2 hours ago, DaChaser said:

The answer varies depending upon the Calvinist, as some would say only infants of saved parents, others would say only those who are the elect, I would say that God has chosen to elect in Chruist those who cannot do anything, such as babies and mentally handicapped persons!

No doubt babies go to heaven. Whether they are part of the church I am not sure. They may be part of some other redeemed body in heaven. Maybe part of the "general assembly" (Hebrews 12:23)