• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
2 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Hello Pastor Scott,

You go astray in that the section is not saying the "free gift" Has been made available unto all men, or has come upon all men at all.

Really??  Romans 12:18b - "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT CAME UPON ALL MEN unto justification of life."  Seems to me that such is precisely what Scripture says.

• Members

The term election is in the Bible - however, what Calvinists teach about election is not. The Bible nowhere teaches that ANYONE is elected to Heaven or Hell, to be saved or to be damned. The Bible does teach that the elected - those who are saved in Christ - are elected to be conformed to the image of Christ, to be glorified, to be given an inheritance in Christ. My response to the Gospel determines whether I am saved or not. If I trust Christ, I am elect in Christ, I have eternal life in Him. God foreknew who would choose or reject the Lord Jesus Christ. The elect are those that chose Christ. God's foreknowledge is not the same as predetermining something or making something happen. He foreknew our response and then made certain promises and determinations to those who come to Christ.

• Members
39 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Really??  Romans 12:18b - "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT CAME UPON ALL MEN unto justification of life."  Seems to me that such is precisely what Scripture says.

You think all men who live are currently justified?

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

51 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

You think all men who live are currently justified?

That is an interesting response.  I provide a direct quote of God's Holy Word, and you question the truthfulness of the Biblical quote by distorting its actual teaching.  So, to answer your question --

No sir, I think what God's Word actually says is the truth, regardless of what you say about it.  What God's Word actually says in the second half of Romans 5:18 is - "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon all men UNTO justification of life."  It does not matter to me how much you try to deny it, God's Word says it; and that means it IS the truth.

6 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Rather, the second half of Romans 5:18 teaches us, NOT that "justification of life" has come upon all men, but that "THE FREE GIFT" which is "UNTO justification of life" has come upon (been made available unto) all men.  Yet a gift, by its very nature, must be received (as per Romans 5:17) in order to be applied.  The truth of Romans 5:18 does indeed teach something that is for "all men" (all of human-kind), but most certainly does NOT teach universal salvation.  And this can be seen WITHOUT changing what God the Holy Spirit directly and precisely inspired.

Seems that I have already explained this once, but I will do it again.  The second half of Romans 5:18 does NOT say, "Even so by the righteousness of one justification of life came upon all men."  IF God's Word said that, then it would mean that all men are indeed justified and regenerated.  However, again I emphasize that God's Word does NOT say such.  Rather, God's Word in the second half of Romans 5:18 says, "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon all men UNTO justification of life."  It is NOT that justification itself came upon all men, but that the FREE GIFT which is unto justification came upon all men.  The Lord our God does NOT simply justify and regenerate all men, but He has and does offer unto all men the FREE GIFT which is unto justification and regeneration.  However, as I stated already above, a gift by its very nature must be received (as per Romans 5:17) in order to be applied.  The free gift as a gift is upon (offered unto) all men, but the justification and regeneration that it provides is applied only unto those who receive it.

I do not believe in universal justification and regeneration, just as you do not believe in universal justification and regeneration.  However, the difference between us is that I do believe that the righteousness of Christ's sacrifice on the cross provided for the free gift unto justification and regeneration for the sake of "all men," whereas I expect that as a Calvinist you believe that the righteousness of Christ's sacrifice on the cross provided for the free gift unto justification and regeneration only for the sake of the predestinated elect.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
9 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

That is an interesting response.  I provide a direct quote of God's Holy Word, and you question the truthfulness of the Biblical quote by distorting its actual teaching.  So, to answer your question --

No sir, I think what God's Word actually says is the truth, regardless of what you say about it.  What God's Word actually says in the second half of Romans 5:18 is - "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon all men UNTO justification of life."  It does not matter to me how much you try to deny it, God's Word says it; and that means it IS the truth.

Seems that I have already explained this once, but I will do it again.  The second half of Romans 5:18 does NOT say, "Even so by the righteousness of one justification of life came upon all men."  IF God's Word said that, then it would mean that all men are indeed justified and regenerated.  However, again I emphasize that God's Word does NOT say such.  Rather, God's Word in the second half of Romans 5:18 says, "Even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon all men UNTO justification of life."  It is NOT that justification itself came upon all men, but that the FREE GIFT which is unto justification came upon all men.  The Lord our God does NOT simply justify and regenerate all men, but He has and does offer unto all men the FREE GIFT which is unto justification and regeneration.  However, as I stated already above, a gift by its very nature must be received (as per Romans 5:17) in order to be applied.  The free gift as a gift is upon (offered unto) all men, but the justification and regeneration that it provides is applied only unto those who receive it.

I do not believe in universal justification and regeneration, just as you do not believe in universal justification and regeneration.  However, the difference between us is that I do believe that the righteousness of Christ's sacrifice on the cross provided for the free gift unto justification and regeneration for the sake of "all men," whereas I expect that as a Calvinist you believe that the righteousness of Christ's sacrifice on the cross provided for the free gift unto justification and regeneration only for the sake of the predestinated elect.

Sorry Pastor Scott,

I do not deny Gods word as written.

I deny your attempted addition to it.

The text describes two representatives.

A person is either dead in sin, or alive In Christ.

There is not mention of an offer to all men anywhere here as you add to the text.

It is not potential but actual.

Your allusion to verse 17 does not help your case.

Any recieving of this grace is by the will of God, not the will of man as Jesus taught in Jn.1:13.

I am glad we agree that it indeed is not universal.

You are correct that I believe the passage describes those elected by God are the objects of this great mercy and Grace.

That is not a bad thing, but rather consistent with the teaching of Romans.

I am content to own and defend the confessional view, which is the biblical view.

I do not feel the need to qualify it by making statements that I am a biblicist, or I just use my bible.

Everyone who posts can say such things, but the truth shines through.

• Members
40 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

Sorry Pastor Scott,

I do not deny Gods word as written. (emphasis added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Actually, Mr. Iconoclast, in a previous posting you did exactly that --

14 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Hello Pastor Scott,

You go astray in that the section is not saying the "free gift" Has been made available unto all men, or has come upon all men at all. (emphasis added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Whereas God's Word AS WRITTEN says in the second half of Romans 5:18, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."  Such is precisely what is written in God's Word.  Such is precisely what you denied in your earlier posting.  

Here is what is written:

1.  The free gift came by the righteousness of Christ.
2.  The free gift came upon all men.
3.  The free gift is unto justification of life.

• Members
14 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Election is a biblical term, free will is not. It is not a theory it is biblical teaching. Election is a great blessing to the Church.Paul was so excited to speak of it.\

The second longest sentence in the Nt. is Eph1:3-14. it is one sentence.

Paul praises God for it. Why would you suggest it is a theory?

All of you who oppose these biblical teachings try and suggest such ideas.

Clearly All who are found In Christ on the last day are not All who remain in Adam. How do you not see this?

God is always true. He cannot lie. So it is your interpretation that is flawed.

Here is the ALL that is most important;

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

God is going to save the All the Father has given to the Son. Jesus taught that, not Calvin or Augustine.

They taught it because Jesus did.

The Bible shows time and time again that people are told to "choose" whom they would serve, given choices to "follow me" (Jesus gave this offer to many, allowing them to use their free will), and to make decisions, just as God gave Adam in the Garden. Man fell. It didn't negate his free will and power of choice. God didn't magically take it away. God, knowing who would and wouldn't accept him did GIVE to Christ those whom would accept him. Yet, the choice is still theirs. We won't agree on terminology, and I won't go against what a majority of the Bible has taught. I won't cherry pick verses to try and back up a theory as those who follow Calvin do. I will, however put John 3:16," For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  Christ died to offer the WHOLE WORLD salvation if they will accept his free gift. Believing is an act of the will...FREE WiLL. Remember, this wasn't taken away by the fall of Adam, no matter how much those who believe the Calvinic doctrines want us to accept their views and terminology. Cain had free will to let Abel live, or to kill him...he killed him. God gave the Israelites the CHOICE to either follow him or lose their lives...many of them tempted/rebelled against God, and their lives were taken in several different situations. Free will was not negated in the Garden, and it doesn't affect God's sovereignty in any way.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members

Mr. Iconoclast,

57 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

The text describes two representatives.

Not precisely.  A representative is one who makes decisions on behalf of others.  This is not what Romans 5:12-21 describes.  Rather, Romans 5:12-21 describes two heads whose actions have spiritually affected others.  Throughout the context the others whom their actions have spiritually affected are designated and defined by the terms "all men" in verse 12 and 18 and "many" in verses 15 and 19.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast said:

A person is either dead in sin, or alive In Christ.

This is Biblically correct according to Romans 6:1-11; Ephesians 2:1-9; etc.  However, do you recognize that throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 we do not encounter the direct reference to being "in" Adam or "in" Christ at all?  Rather, throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 the operative emphasis is on the prepositions "by" and "through," that is -- "by" and "through" Adam or "by" and "through" Christ.

There is not mention of an offer to all men anywhere here as you add to the text.

Yet there is a very specific statement in the second half of Romans 5:18, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."  So, what does this very specific statement mean?  What does it mean that the free gift came upon all men?  Based upon the phrasing itself, there can only be so many possibilities:

1.  One possibility is that all men receive "justification of life."  Yet we know that this possibility of meaning contradicts the rest of Scripture and thus cannot be the correct meaning.

2.  One possibility is that only all believers receive "justification of life."  Now, concerning the application of justification and regeneration only to believers, this possibility would stand consistent with the rest of Scripture.  However, this possibility also requires us to change the phrase that God the Holy Spirit specifically and direction inspired from "all men" to only "all believers."  Yet God the Holy Spirit did NOT inspire the statement, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all believers unto justification of life."  Rather, God the Holy Spirit DID specifically inspire the statement, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."  Attempting to apply this Biblical statement unto any group less than "ALL MEN" is a direct denial of that which God the Holy Spirit Himself specifically and directly inspired.  Therefore, this possibility also cannot be the correct meaning.  (Now thus far, this is the position that you have taken, which has required you to deny and/or alter the "all men" designation that God the Holy Spirit Himself has inspired.)

3.  One possibility is that, not justification of life itself, but the free gift that is unto justification of life has come upon all men as an open offer unto them.  Now, from my understanding this possibility handles the grammar of the statement accurately, without denying or changing any part thereof. 

Note: Grammatically in the Greek the subject and verb for each of the two statements in Romans 5:18 are not specifically present, which is why the King James translation includes them with italics.  Contextually and grammatically the subject and verb for each of the two statements in Romans 5:18 are supplied by the statements of Romans 5:16, wherein the grammatical parallels (which I have highlighted by color coordination) are as follows:

Romans 5:16 - "For the judgment was by one to condemnation."
Romans 5:18 - "Therefore as
by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation."
(In Romans 5:18 the phrase "judgment came" is in italics in the King James translation because it is not directly in the Greek of the verse, but is contextually and grammatically supplied by the earlier statement of Romans 5:16.  Furthermore, the one additional truth that Romans 5:18 supplies is the phrase "upon all men.")

Romans 5:16 - "But the free gift is of many offences unto justification."
Romans 5:18 - "Even so
by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."
(In Romans 5:18 the phrase "the free gift came" is in italics in the King James translation because it is not directly in the Greek of the verse, but is contextually and grammatically supplied by the earlier statement of Romans 5:16.  Furthermore, Romans 5:18 provides three additional thoughts to that of Romans 5:16.  First, whereas Romans 5:16 indicates that the free gift unto justification is "[out] of many offences," Romans 5:18 indicates it is "by the righteousness of one [Christ]."  Second, Romans 5:18 adds the truth that this free gift is "upon all men."  Third, Romans 5:18 indicates that the justification in this free gift is a justification "of life.")

Thus grammatically Romans 5:18 teaches the following:

1.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists (being supplied from Romans 5:16, the verb "came" indicates state of being) by the righteousness of Christ.

2.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists (the verb "came" indicates state of being) "unto" (for the purpose of) "justification of life."

3.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists "upon all men" (herein the preposition "upon" translates the Greek preposition "eis," which means "into, unto, toward, for the sake of.")

Even so, I myself choose to follow option #3 above, because it is the one option which does not contradict the rest of Scripture and which stands true to the specific grammar of Romans 5:18. 

(However, option #3 above is certainly contrary to the doctrinal system of Calvinism, because it would mean that the Lord our God, by the righteous sacrifice of Christ, made His gracious gift of justification to exist toward/upon/for the sake of "ALL MEN;" whereas the doctrinal system of Calvinism rejects this teaching.  Thus the Calvinist will seek in some way to change the meaning of "all men" in the second half of Romans 5:18.)

• Members
11 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

Where does scripture say it is offered and not given?

Offered or given, a gift can be rejected. The offer was extended to the rich young ruler and rejected. That's just one of many examples. Semantics. I don't play that game.

Edited by BrotherTony

Guest Heartstrings

Where does scripture say it is offered and not given?

Here, the Gospel was offered but rejected.....or "put off for a convenient season". However, during the encounter, the man was so shook up, he "trembled".

Acts 24

24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.

25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Sounds an awful lot like the Holy Ghost(here called the "Comforter") was dealing with Felix heart......

John 16: 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

• Members
8 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

The Bible shows time and time again that people are told to "choose" whom they would serve, given choices to "follow me"

Yes, it does use such terms. Men have a will and can make choices. men have self will that is bound by sin

Free will is not in the bible however. It is not there because it does not exist.

(Jesus gave this offer to many, allowing them to use their free will) and to make decisions, just as God gave Adam in the Garden. Man fell. It didn't negate his free will and power of choice.

The bible does not say this, you do. You take a carnal philosophy and try and insert into  into the bible,

and to make decisions, just as God gave Adam in the Garden. Man fell. It didn't negate his free will and power of choice. God didn't magically take it away.

Again you are spinning a fantasy. The bible does not say or teach any such thing.?

God, knowing who would and wouldn't accept him did GIVE to Christ those whom would accept him

More Fiction. God is not a spectator waiting to see what man will do then acting accordingly..

Psalm 14:1-3 teaches that God already knows that no one would seek God, no, not one.

But because of your man centered theology, and idol of free will, you have to try and superimpose it on scripture

Yet, the choice is still theirs.

No. The only choice made was God's election of a multitude of sinners to save In Christ

We won't agree on terminology, and I won't go against what a majority of the Bible has taught. I won't cherry pick verses to try and back up a theory as those who follow Calvin do.

Most Calvinists do not read Calvin, they read scripture, they read Jesus and the Apostles. very few read Calvin, but you need that as a crutch to avoid the actual discussion,

I will, however put John 3:16," For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." 

Calvinists have Jn. 3:15-18in their bible as well. They believe it with the proper understanding of it however.

Christ died to offer the WHOLE WORLD salvation if they will accept his free gift.

Not what the bible actually teaches, we are made accepted in the beloved, it is the action of God.

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Believing is an act of the will...FREE WiLL. Remember, this wasn't taken away by the fall of Adam, no matter how much those who believe the Calvinic doctrines want us to accept their views and terminology.

Not according to jn1:

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Cain had free will to let Abel live, or to kill him...he killed him. God gave the Israelites the CHOICE to either follow him or lose their lives...many of them tempted/rebelled against God, and their lives were taken in several different situations. Free will was not negated in the Garden, and it doesn't affect God's sovereignty in any way.

It was never there. It will not be in heaven, this is carnal philosophy.

I believe you are sincere Tony, but many of your beliefs come from philosophy and emotion rather than scripture.

Thanks for your response.

• Members
7 hours ago, Guest Heartstrings said:

Here, the Gospel was offered but rejected.....or "put off for a convenient season". However, during the encounter, the man was so shook up, he "trembled".

Acts 24

24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.

25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Sounds an awful lot like the Holy Ghost(here called the "Comforter") was dealing with Felix heart......

John 16: 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Hello Gh, Sometimes we present the truth to seal the doom of the reprobate;

14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

9 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Mr. Iconoclast,

Not precisely.  A representative is one who makes decisions on behalf of others.  This is not what Romans 5:12-21 describes.  Rather, Romans 5:12-21 describes two heads whose actions have spiritually affected others.  Throughout the context the others whom their actions have spiritually affected are designated and defined by the terms "all men" in verse 12 and 18 and "many" in verses 15 and 19.

This is Biblically correct according to Romans 6:1-11; Ephesians 2:1-9; etc.  However, do you recognize that throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 we do not encounter the direct reference to being "in" Adam or "in" Christ at all?  Rather, throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 the operative emphasis is on the prepositions "by" and "through," that is -- "by" and "through" Adam or "by" and "through" Christ.

Yet there is a very specific statement in the second half of Romans 5:18, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."  So, what does this very specific statement mean?  What does it mean that the free gift came upon all men?  Based upon the phrasing itself, there can only be so many possibilities:

1.  One possibility is that all men receive "justification of life."  Yet we know that this possibility of meaning contradicts the rest of Scripture and thus cannot be the correct meaning.

2.  One possibility is that only all believers receive "justification of life."  Now, concerning the application of justification and regeneration only to believers, this possibility would stand consistent with the rest of Scripture.  However, this possibility also requires us to change the phrase that God the Holy Spirit specifically and direction inspired from "all men" to only "all believers."  Yet God the Holy Spirit did NOT inspire the statement, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all believers unto justification of life."  Rather, God the Holy Spirit DID specifically inspire the statement, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."  Attempting to apply this Biblical statement unto any group less than "ALL MEN" is a direct denial of that which God the Holy Spirit Himself specifically and directly inspired.  Therefore, this possibility also cannot be the correct meaning.  (Now thus far, this is the position that you have taken, which has required you to deny and/or alter the "all men" designation that God the Holy Spirit Himself has inspired.)

3.  One possibility is that, not justification of life itself, but the free gift that is unto justification of life has come upon all men as an open offer unto them.  Now, from my understanding this possibility handles the grammar of the statement accurately, without denying or changing any part thereof. 

Note: Grammatically in the Greek the subject and verb for each of the two statements in Romans 5:18 are not specifically present, which is why the King James translation includes them with italics.  Contextually and grammatically the subject and verb for each of the two statements in Romans 5:18 are supplied by the statements of Romans 5:16, wherein the grammatical parallels (which I have highlighted by color coordination) are as follows:

Romans 5:16 - "For the judgment was by one to condemnation."
Romans 5:18 - "Therefore as
by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation."
(In Romans 5:18 the phrase "judgment came" is in italics in the King James translation because it is not directly in the Greek of the verse, but is contextually and grammatically supplied by the earlier statement of Romans 5:16.  Furthermore, the one additional truth that Romans 5:18 supplies is the phrase "upon all men.")

Romans 5:16 - "But the free gift is of many offences unto justification."
Romans 5:18 - "Even so
by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."
(In Romans 5:18 the phrase "the free gift came" is in italics in the King James translation because it is not directly in the Greek of the verse, but is contextually and grammatically supplied by the earlier statement of Romans 5:16.  Furthermore, Romans 5:18 provides three additional thoughts to that of Romans 5:16.  First, whereas Romans 5:16 indicates that the free gift unto justification is "[out] of many offences," Romans 5:18 indicates it is "by the righteousness of one [Christ]."  Second, Romans 5:18 adds the truth that this free gift is "upon all men."  Third, Romans 5:18 indicates that the justification in this free gift is a justification "of life.")

Thus grammatically Romans 5:18 teaches the following:

1.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists (being supplied from Romans 5:16, the verb "came" indicates state of being) by the righteousness of Christ.

2.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists (the verb "came" indicates state of being) "unto" (for the purpose of) "justification of life."

3.  The free gift (of Romans 5:16) exists "upon all men" (herein the preposition "upon" translates the Greek preposition "eis," which means "into, unto, toward, for the sake of.")

Even so, I myself choose to follow option #3 above, because it is the one option which does not contradict the rest of Scripture and which stands true to the specific grammar of Romans 5:18. 

(However, option #3 above is certainly contrary to the doctrinal system of Calvinism, because it would mean that the Lord our God, by the righteous sacrifice of Christ, made His gracious gift of justification to exist toward/upon/for the sake of "ALL MEN;" whereas the doctrinal system of Calvinism rejects this teaching.  Thus the Calvinist will seek in some way to change the meaning of "all men" in the second half of Romans 5:18.)

Thanks for taking time to clarify your position, and for being willing to search the scriptures.This is a large part of what we are to be about . We need to have as much truth as we can to present truth to those outside the Kingdom.