• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
8 hours ago, Guest Heartstrings said:

Friend,  you think that God has the ability and privilege to choose, but doesn't allow us the same? God's "purpose" in this was to send His only begotten Son into the world so that "whosoever" could "choose" . Read Deuteronomy 30:19 again. Read it and let it sink in. God's purpose was/is to give us a choice. There is nothing of our merit in our choosing either. We either "choose Life" or "choose death". That is God's purpose, Manifested and fulfilled in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Are you going to choose to believe this or not? It really is that simple.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Did you forget your password brother? You are posting as a guest for some reason.

Guest Heartstrings
18 minutes ago, wretched said:

Did you forget your password brother? You are posting as a guest for some reason.

No brother I don't think so but when I try to log in it asks me for the @ symbol as in my email address instead of my username. I haven't had the time to delve into why LOL

• Members
9 hours ago, Guest Heartstrings said:

Friend,  you think that God has the ability and privilege to choose, but doesn't allow us the same? God's "purpose" in this was to send His only begotten Son into the world so that "whosoever" could "choose" . Read Deuteronomy 30:19 again. Read it and let it sink in. God's purpose was/is to give us a choice. There is nothing of our merit in our choosing either. We either "choose Life" or "choose death". That is God's purpose, Manifested and fulfilled in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Are you going to choose to believe this or not? It really is that simple.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

I think the fall took place.

Men choose darkness over light.

God accomplished redemption for the objects of His love.

15 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm.  It appears that the debate over the teaching of Calvinism concerning the doctrine of salvation has exploded in this thread over the past few hours. 

Mr. Iconoclast,

Since thus far you have only engaged one of my past postings in this thread discussion (as per the above quote), for the moment I shall remain focused on your thoughts concerning Romans 5.  Yet you have indeed added one further posting concerning your understanding of Romans 5 (although not directly to me), and that posting presents some of your understanding concerning the broader context of the entire chapter, as follows:

Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1 begins the context of Romans 5 with a focus upon those who are "justified by faith" in Christ, and that it employs first-person, plural pronouns to designate this contextual focus -- "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1-11 (which is where in your above posting you stopped presenting examples) employs the first-person, plural pronouns "we," "us," and "our" multiple times (18 times, if my count is accurate).  However, you gave instruction that we should read through the entire chapter.  So, what do we find when we actually do this?  We find something quite noticeable.  First, we find a different contextual focus presented in Romans 5:12 (than that of Romans 5:1) -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."  Thus it appears that the focus of Romans 5:12 and the context that follows is no longer upon those who are "justified by faith," but upon the "all men" of this world.  Furthermore, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-20 we do not encounter even a single first-person, plural pronoun (which is quite noticeable, considering how many of them we encountered throughout Romans 5:1-11).  In fact, we do not encounter another first-person, plural pronoun until the end of Romans 5:21.  Finally, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-21 the more common designations are bound up in the words "all" and "many."  Even so, we are able to recognize that grammatically and contextually Romans 5:1-11 and Romans 5:12-21 are describing two different designations of people.  Thus your attempt above to draw the contextual focus of Romans 5:1-11 into the contextual focus of Romans 5:12-21 is grammatically and contextually false.  Indeed, I agree - "read through the chapter" as a whole and "see who is being addressed" in each contextual portion.

Those who are described in verses1-11, are the many who are in the last Adam.

Federal headship is the unifying principle. 

• Members
23 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm.  It appears that the debate over the teaching of Calvinism concerning the doctrine of salvation has exploded in this thread over the past few hours. 

Mr. Iconoclast,

Since thus far you have only engaged one of my past postings in this thread discussion (as per the above quote), for the moment I shall remain focused on your thoughts concerning Romans 5.  Yet you have indeed added one further posting concerning your understanding of Romans 5 (although not directly to me), and that posting presents some of your understanding concerning the broader context of the entire chapter, as follows:

Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1 begins the context of Romans 5 with a focus upon those who are "justified by faith" in Christ, and that it employs first-person, plural pronouns to designate this contextual focus -- "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1-11 (which is where in your above posting you stopped presenting examples) employs the first-person, plural pronouns "we," "us," and "our" multiple times (18 times, if my count is accurate).  However, you gave instruction that we should read through the entire chapter.  So, what do we find when we actually do this?  We find something quite noticeable.  First, we find a different contextual focus presented in Romans 5:12 (than that of Romans 5:1) -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."  Thus it appears that the focus of Romans 5:12 and the context that follows is no longer upon those who are "justified by faith," but upon the "all men" of this world.  Furthermore, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-20 we do not encounter even a single first-person, plural pronoun (which is quite noticeable, considering how many of them we encountered throughout Romans 5:1-11).  In fact, we do not encounter another first-person, plural pronoun until the end of Romans 5:21.  Finally, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-21 the more common designations are bound up in the words "all" and "many."  Even so, we are able to recognize that grammatically and contextually Romans 5:1-11 and Romans 5:12-21 are describing two different designations of people.  Thus your attempt above to draw the contextual focus of Romans 5:1-11 into the contextual focus of Romans 5:12-21 is grammatically and contextually false.  Indeed, I agree - "read through the chapter" as a whole and "see who is being addressed" in each contextual portion.

8 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Those who are described in verses1-11, are the many who are in the last Adam.

Federal headship is the unifying principle. 

Mr. Iconoclast, your answer here presents no actual consideration of or work with the grammar and context throughout Romans 5:12-21.  Thus your answer appears to be based simply upon your system of belief.  As for myself, I would prefer an answer that is actually based upon the actual grammar and context of the passage, since that is what God the Holy Spirit actually inspired.  Even so, in a future posting (when I have a little more time) I will engage that very grammar and context.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Mr. Iconoclast, your answer here presents no actual consideration of or work with the grammar and context throughout Romans 5:12-21.  Thus your answer appears to be based simply upon your system of belief.  As for myself, I would prefer an answer that is actually based upon the actual grammar and context of the passage, since that is what God the Holy Spirit actually inspired.  Even so, in a future posting (when I have a little more time) I will engage that very grammar and context.

Ok...I will offer that for you also.

• Members
On 5/12/2022 at 10:18 PM, Iconoclast said:

From the 1689 confession of faith;

Chapter 10: Of Effectual Calling

1._____ Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.
( Romans 8:30; Romans 11:7; Ephesians 1:10, 11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:1-6; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 1:17, 18; Ezekiel 36:26; Deuteronomy 30:6; Ezekiel 36:27; Ephesians 1:19; Psalm 110:3; Song of Solomon 1:4 )

2._____ This effectual call is of God's free and special grace alone, not from anything at all foreseen in man, nor from any power or agency in the creature, being wholly passive therein, being dead in sins and trespasses, until being quickened and renewed by the Holy Spirit; he is thereby enabled to answer this call, and to embrace the grace offered and conveyed in it, and that by no less power than that which raised up Christ from the dead.
( 2 Timothy 1:9; Ephesians 2:8; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Ephesians 2:5; John 5:25; Ephesians 1:19, 20 )

3._____ Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )

4._____ Others not elected, although they may be called by the ministry of the Word, and may have some common operations of the Spirit, yet not being effectually drawn by the Father, they neither will nor can truly come to Christ, and therefore cannot be saved: much less can men that receive not the Christian religion be saved; be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature and the law of that religion they do profess.
( Matthew 22:14; Matthew 13:20, 21; Hebrews 6:4, 5; John 6:44, 45, 65; 1 John 2:24, 25; Acts 4:12; John 4:22; John 17:3 )

Phew! So than only predestined and elected babies die in infancy, never unelected babies. Glad your "1689 confession of faith" straightened that one out.

• Members
1 minute ago, SureWord said:

Phew! So than only predestined and elected babies die in infancy, never unelected babies. Glad your "1689 confession of faith" straightened that one out.

It does SW,

It leaves all infants who die in Gods hands, not yours or mine.

However many are saved are determined by God himself.

The number has already been determined by God.

It is you who speculate as to if there are unelected babies, not the confession of faith.

• Members
On 5/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Mr. Iconoclast,

Recognizing that the pronouns of Romans 5:1-11 are not at all the same as those of Romans 5:12-21, and recognizing that the primary pronouns of Romans 5:12-21 are the words "all" and "many," we now must consider to whom these words "all" and "many" actually refer within the context of Romans 5:12-21.  Throughout this passage we encounter the word "all" four times in two verses, in Romans 5:12 and Romans 5:18.  In addition, throughout this passage we encounter the word "many" in reference to individuals (not including the reference to "many offences" in Romans 5:16) also four times in two verses, in Romans 5:15 and Romans 5:19.  Since we encounter the word "all" first throughout the passage, in this posting let us consider its usage first --

Basically the word "all" means "a total completeness."  In a given context the word "all" can be limited to a designated group, such that the word "all" in that context would not necessarily include other groups; however, in that given context the word "all" would still include "a total completeness" of that contextually designated group.  So then, in the context of Romans 5:12-21, what is the designated group for the usage of the word "all"?  As we have noted above, the word "all" is employed in this context four times in two verses.  So, let us consider the Holy Spirit inspired statements of those two verses.

Romans 5:12 -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Herein we find that of the four usages for the word "all" in this context, God the Holy Spirit chose to include a specific designation for the word "all" in three of those occurrences.  That Holy Spirit inspired designation for those three occurrences is "all men."  Furthermore, the close grammatical relationship of the second usage for the word "all" in Romans 5:12 with the first usage of the word would indicate that it also references the same designation of "all men."  Thus by the Holy Spirit inspired grammar, we may recognize that the word "all" throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 refers to the particular group of "all men."  Now, this designated group would not necessarily include any angelic kind or any animal kind or any divine kind, but by grammar and definition this designated group would definitely include "all" human kind "in total completeness."  Indeed, this is the grammatical construction that God the Holy Spirit Himself inspired in this context.  God the Holy Spirit did not limit the "all" of this context to "all believers" (as opposed to unbelievers) or to "all saints" (as opposed to the lost) or to "all in Christ" (as opposed to all in the world).  Rather, God the Holy Spirit inspired the designation to be "all men" (all of human kind).  Thus anyone who attempts in any manner to lessen the total inclusion of this designated group stands in direct conflict with God the Holy Spirit Himself, and thus stands in the place of falsehood.

What then do these four usages of the word "all" in this context teach us concerning "all men" (all human kind)?

1.  That death has "passed upon all men" (upon all human kind).
2.  That "all" (all human kind) "have sinned."
3.  That "by the offence of one judgment came upon all men [upon all human kind] to condemnation."
4.  That "by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men [upon all human kind] unto justification of life."

Now, these four truths may require some Biblical definition in order for us to acquire a Biblical understanding of their teaching; however, any attempt to deny the application of these four truths for the entire total completeness of human kind stands in contradiction to that which God the Holy Spirit directly inspired.

All of human kind are under the curse of death.  All of human kind have committed sin against the Lord our God.  All of human kind are under the condemnation of divine judgment, and that because of the one man Adam's first sin.  And all of human kind are under the offer of God's free gift unto justification of life, and that because of the One Savior Jesus Christ's righteousness. 

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members
7 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

It does SW,

It leaves all infants who die in Gods hands, not yours or mine.

However many are saved are determined by God himself.

The number has already been determined by God.

It is you who speculate as to if there are unelected babies, not the confession of faith.

Calvinism is hogwash. I'll go a step further, it's an evil doctrine that was created by a man who burned people at the stake for disagreeing with him. Allowing it into a church is a sure fire way of killing a church.

• Members
2 hours ago, SureWord said:

Calvinism is hogwash. I'll go a step further, it's an evil doctrine that was created by a man who burned people at the stake for disagreeing with him. Allowing it into a church is a sure fire way of killing a church.

It was taught by Jesus and the apostles so I don't think you should call it hogwash. Why do you suggest such a thing most people that are known as Calvinists have never even read Calvin or read very little of what Calvin taught it's the teaching of scripture that sounds on what the gospel is in all the scriptures

• Members
28 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

It was taught by Jesus and the apostles so I don't think you should call it hogwash. Why do you suggest such a thing most people that are known as Calvinists have never even read Calvin or read very little of what Calvin taught it's the teaching of scripture that sounds on what the gospel is in all the scriptures

Was it? Or are you taking what Christ said out of context? 

• Members

God doesn't contradict Himself or teach contradictory theology. For many or most on these boards, we are convinced Calvinism is not of God. As we dig into the Word of God for ourselves and study it out, we are not convinced of those doctrines - and believe truly that it is a heretical system of beliefs. It cannot be of God and not of God at the same time. I am convinced it is not of God as too much of it contradicts the rest of the Bible or overlooks certain passages and principles.

Better to stand SOLELY on the Word of God, rather than try to force the Bible to fit some system or line up with some denomination or preacher. Calvinism does not come from the Bible alone - it comes from overlooking some passages or from reading things INTO some passages. Taken at face value, neither Calvinism nor Arminianism fits the Word of God.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

[God doesn't contradict Himself or teach contradictory theology. For many or most on these boards, we are convinced Calvinism is not of God].

Having investigated many such claims, I find those who make such statements fight against a caricature and not the real thing

[As we dig into the Word of God for ourselves and study it out, we are not convinced of those doctrines - and believe truly that it is a heretical system of beliefs].

I will help you with this

[It cannot be of God and not of God at the same time. I am convinced it is not of God as too much of it contradicts the rest of the Bible or overlooks certain passages and principles.]

I think it will be shown that you contradict God's word

[Better to stand SOLELY on the Word of God, rather than try to force the Bible to fit some system or line up with some denomination or preacher.]

So everyone has to believe just what you do?

[Calvinism does not come from the Bible alone - it comes from overlooking some passages or from reading things INTO some passages. Taken at face value, neither Calvinism nor Arminianism fits the Word of God.]

Sure it does. Because you do not understand it, does not mean it does not come from scripture.

• Members
11 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Recognizing that the pronouns of Romans 5:1-11 are not at all the same as those of Romans 5:12-21, and recognizing that the primary pronouns of Romans 5:12-21 are the words "all" and "many," we now must consider to whom these words "all" and "many" actually refer within the context of Romans 5:12-21.  Throughout this passage we encounter the word "all" four times in two verses, in Romans 5:12 and Romans 5:18.  In addition, throughout this passage we encounter the word "many" in reference to individuals (not including the reference to "many offences" in Romans 5:16) also four times in two verses, in Romans 5:15 and Romans 5:19.  Since we encounter the word "all" first throughout the passage, in this posting let us consider its usage first --

Basically the word "all" means "a total completeness."  In a given context the word "all" can be limited to a designated group, such that the word "all" in that context would not necessarily include other groups; however, in that given context the word "all" would still include "a total completeness" of that contextually designated group.  So then, in the context of Romans 5:12-21, what is the designated group for the usage of the word "all"?  As we have noted above, the word "all" is employed in this context four times in two verses.  So, let us consider the Holy Spirit inspired statements of those two verses.

Romans 5:12 -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Herein we find that of the four usages for the word "all" in this context, God the Holy Spirit chose to include a specific designation for the word "all" in three of those occurrences.  That Holy Spirit inspired designation for those three occurrences is "all men."  Furthermore, the close grammatical relationship of the second usage for the word "all" in Romans 5:12 with the first usage of the word would indicate that it also references the same designation of "all men."  Thus by the Holy Spirit inspired grammar, we may recognize that the word "all" throughout the context of Romans 5:12-21 refers to the particular group of "all men."  Now, this designated group would not necessarily include any angelic kind or any animal kind or any divine kind, but by grammar and definition this designated group would definitely include "all" human kind "in total completeness."  Indeed, this is the grammatical construction that God the Holy Spirit Himself inspired in this context.  God the Holy Spirit did not limit the "all" of this context to "all believers" (as opposed to unbelievers) or to "all saints" (as opposed to the lost) or to "all in Christ" (as opposed to all in the world).  Rather, God the Holy Spirit inspired the designation to be "all men" (all of human kind).  Thus anyone who attempts in any manner to lessen the total inclusion of this designated group stands in direct conflict with God the Holy Spirit Himself, and thus stands in the place of falsehood.

What then do these four usages of the word "all" in this context teach us concerning "all men" (all human kind)?

1.  That death has "passed upon all men" (upon all human kind).
2.  That "all" (all human kind) "have sinned."
3.  That "by the offence of one judgment came upon all men [upon all human kind] to condemnation."
4.  That "by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men [upon all human kind] unto justification of life."

Now, these four truths may require some Biblical definition in order for us to acquire a Biblical understanding of their teaching; however, any attempt to deny the application of these four truths for the entire total completeness of human kind stands in contradiction to that which God the Holy Spirit directly inspired.

All of human kind are under the curse of death.  All of human kind have committed sin against the Lord our God.  All of human kind are under the condemnation of divine judgment, and that because of the one man Adam's first sin.  And all of human kind are under the offer of God's free gift unto justification of life, and that because of the One Savior Jesus Christ's righteousness. 

Guzik observes…

From this passage, Adam and Jesus are sometimes known as the two men. Between them they represent of all humanity, and everyone is identified in either Adam or Jesus. We are born identified with Adam; we may be born again into identification with Jesus.

The idea of Adam and Jesus as two representatives of the human race is sometimes called Federal Theology or Adam and Jesus are sometimes referred to as Federal Heads. This is because under the federal system of government, representatives are chosen and the representative speaks for the people who chose him. Adam speaks for those he represents, and Jesus speaks for His people.

Again, someone may object: “But I never chose to have Adam represent me.” Of course you did! You identified yourself with Adam with the first sin you ever committed. It is absolutely true that we were born into our identification with Adam, but we also choose it with our individual acts of sin. (Romans 5)

James Montgomery Boice has a superb introduction to this summary section…

First, Paul explained the sense in which “all sinned.” He did not mean that all have become sinners and have therefore sinned, though we would naturally think this, but rather that each of us was declared a sinner because of Adam’s original sin or transgression. It is true that we also sin and should be condemned for that, if there were nothing more to be said. But that is not Paul’s meaning. He meant that all have been accounted sinners in Adam, so that those who were going to be saved could be accounted righteous in the Lord Jesus Christ.

But then, lest we have fallen asleep in the meantime and have somehow missed the point after this long wait, Paul makes it again in verse 19, adding: “[1] For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, [2] so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.” (Boice, J. M. Romans. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House)

At first glance this chart suggests all men will be justified (made righteous) but the context of Romans and the NT clearly indicates the reference is all men who are justified by faith alone. Paul is not teaching universalism or that all men will be justified (saved). Recall that in Romans 5:17 (note) Paul speaks of life for those who receive it. The point is that you don't have to do anything to be condemned. Condemnation is Adam's "gift" to you. But if you want to be justified, you must receive God's free gift by grace through faith.

All men… all men - Paul is using all men with two different meanings for the sake of parallelism, a common practice in the Hebrew Old Testament, which is similar Paul's repetition of the phrase the many in Romans 5:15 (note). The first all covers all humanity who are born into Adam. The second all refers to that part of the first all who by grace through faith are reborn into the Last Adam, Christ (Paul repeatedly emphasizes righteousness and faith - see notes Romans 1:16; 17; 3:22; 3:28; 4:5; 4:13. To reiterate - Paul is not teaching universal salvation.)

Regarding the somewhat difficult to understand phrase justification of life Kenneth Wuest writes that "The words of life are genitive of description in the Greek text, describing the quality of the righteousness bestowed upon man. It is a righteousness which is connected with the impartation of spiritual life. In itself, this righteous standing is a purely legal matter and does not impart life nor change character. But it is accompanied by the life that God is, imparted to the believing sinner in regeneration. (Wuest's Word Studies from the Greek New Testament: Eerdmans )

All men does not mean all men will be saved, because Scripture amply attests to the truth that salvation is only for those who exercise faith in Jesus Christ (Ro 1:16-17, 3:22, 28, 4:5, 13-see notes Romans 1:16-17, 3:22, 3:28, 4:5, 4:13; cp similar phrase the many in Romans 5:15 [note])