• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
On 6/23/2020 at 6:22 PM, Scott Lyons said:

Doesn't make it right! The Calvinist's authority is NOT Scripture but IS Calvinism! Calvinists have outsourced their sense-making to "giants of the faith" like Luther, Edwards, Knox, Gill, and even Calvin himself instead of Scripture! Calvinists don't think for themselves and say "well John Knox says, or Calvin Says, or Jonathan Edwards says" instead of saying exactly what Scripture says! I don't care about what those men said. They were all heretics!

Scott, sorry but you do not know their hearts do you?

You are ready to cast all these brothers into Hell, when they openly confessed Christ? Be careful my friend!?

On 6/24/2020 at 11:49 AM, heartstrings said:

Neither Calvin, Spurgeon, nor any of those other dudes were around when I got saved on May 11, 1986; just the Word of God and the Holy Ghost.

nevertheless, the openly confessed Christ, before you did. Do you think the word of God , or the Spirit of God was not there for them?

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Why are you refuting people's perceived attitudes and random statements from two or more years ago?

Also, there is certainly nothing wrong with calling something like it is - such as calling Calvinism heresy.

Hello Jerry, 

I am knew to this forum, so I just started going down the line, and responding to what i see, as they come along.

Now even if they were posted a year or so ago, the truth is timeless, so there will be others who currently read, who might read and consider what is posted. It is healthy food for thought.

You are free to call it as you see it, I will be glad to offer help to you if you would like. If you think I am in error, by all means offer scriptural CORRECTION.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, Scott Lyons said:

Oh yeah you are! Do you understand what the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints is? They will tell you it is eternal security but it is not. One must persevere in GOOD WORKS to prove that they are one of the elect. If a person backslides or falls away it proves they were never saved to begin with according to Calvinism. So you my friend if you do believe you are one of the "elect", you cannot know if you are saved until after you die! How many good works must a person do to prove they are one of the elect? This is where Calvinists become fruit inspectors and judge other people on whether they are truly saved and one of the elect or not. By the way, election and being elect has nothing to do with salvation. Election is to service! I suggest you study your theology a bit more.

Sorry Scott,you are not being accurate, from the 189 confession of faith;

Chapter 17: Of The Perseverance of the Saints

1._____ Those whom God hath accepted in the beloved, effectually called and sanctified by his Spirit, and given the precious faith of his elect unto, can neither totally nor finally fall from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved, seeing the gifts and callings of God are without repentance, whence he still begets and nourisheth in them faith, repentance, love, joy, hope, and all the graces of the Spirit unto immortality; and though many storms and floods arise and beat against them, yet they shall never be able to take them off that foundation and rock which by faith they are fastened upon; notwithstanding, through unbelief and the temptations of Satan, the sensible sight of the light and love of God may for a time be clouded and obscured from them, yet he is still the same, and they shall be sure to be kept by the power of God unto salvation, where they shall enjoy their purchased possession, they being engraven upon the palm of his hands, and their names having been written in the book of life from all eternity.
( John 10:28, 29; Philippians 1:6; 2 Timothy 2:19; 1 John 2:19; Psalms 89:31, 32; 1 Corinthians 11:32; Malachi 3:6 )

2._____ This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him, the oath of God, the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them, and the nature of the covenant of grace; from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof.
( Romans 8:30 Romans 9:11, 16; Romans 5:9, 10; John 14:19; Hebrews 6:17, 18; 1 John 3:9; Jeremiah 32:40 )

3._____ And though they may, through the temptation of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of means of their preservation, fall into grievous sins, and for a time continue therein, whereby they incur God's displeasure and grieve his Holy Spirit, come to have their graces and comforts impaired, have their hearts hardened, and their consciences wounded, hurt and scandalize others, and bring temporal judgments upon themselves, yet shall they renew their repentance and be preserved through faith in Christ Jesus to the end.
( Matthew 26:70, 72, 74; Isaiah 64:5, 9; Ephesians 4:30; Psalms 51:10, 12; Psalms 32:3, 4; 2 Samuel 12:14; Luke 22:32, 61, 62 )

• Members
On 6/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, Gismys said:
God Would Have ALL Men to be Saved!!

2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. == A stake in the false teaching Calvinism's heart!

Are all men ever born going to be saved?

or are the ALL men defined here in context;

2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:30 AM, Gismys said:

On 6/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I love the way that The Holy Spirit, anticipating things such as Calvinism, has carefully inserted the word "all" in so many Scriptures. One has to be willfully blind to not see that "all" means "all".

Hello Jim,

While all means all, the context determines it,

There is a world of difference between, ALL IN ADAM, and All IN Christ..do you agree?

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

BOTH Calvinism AND Arminianism ARE heresy as they both contradict the Bible. On some doctrines and issues, the solution is somewhere in the middle, and on some other issues they are nowhere close to the truth. Better to steer clear of both sets of doctrine and search the Scriptures themselves, without trying to force each passage into a particular box.

If I understand what was posted in a thread or two before mine (I skimmed over it and did not read it all), election and predestination have nothing to do with us being or becoming saved - but have to do with being God's people once we have trusted the Saviour, and in having an inheritance and certain things predestined to happen to us (like being conformed to the image of Christ and having a home in Heaven), not being predestined to Heaven or Hell or being predestined to be saved or lost.

NoJerry,

You are mistaken;

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

38 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Why are you refuting people's perceived attitudes and random statements from two or more years ago?

Also, there is certainly nothing wrong with calling something like it is - such as calling Calvinism heresy.

You can call names all day, but scripture determines truth, not name calling.?

• Members
10 hours ago, Barbara Ann said:

Here is a good refutation of Arminianism and a prominent IFB pastor who preaches the Arminian doctrine of non-election:

https://silo.tips/download/it-is-obvious-that-choosing-that-election-and-that-foreknowlege-have-nothing-to

Brother Tony, what is "cheesy" about this well-written defense of doctrine of election in the Bible?  The author has written a Scripturally accurate refutation of Arminianism as preached by Pastor James Knox who rejects and mocks consulting the Greek or Hebrew to understand the words of the KJV. 

If you would have bothered to read further in the post, you would  have noticed that I stated clearly that there wasn't necessariily anything wrong with the information IN the site....it was the presentation and the site itself that looked cheap and cheesy. When doing a "whois" search, we also find that the information on the site holder is a little 'sketchy'. Honest people aren't afraid to post the ownership of sites. 

Of further interest, you make not of Mr. Knox's questioning of consulting the Greek and Hebrew to understand the meaning of the English translation of the words. Granted, I'm not against looking up the underlying meanings through the consulting of said texts. I am, however, against the constant statements like "the KJV in the English is fully sufficient to gain meaning of the Word of God," and then the constant referral back to "let's look at the underlying meaning in the Greek and Hebrew texts."  The average Christian isn't inclined to do study in other languages, underlying or not. 

10 hours ago, Barbara Ann said:

Yes, I have posted an introduction of myself and my work here:

https://onlinebaptist.com/profile/32513-barbara-ann/

Thank you. I had looked before but, didn't see an intro. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
9 hours ago, Iconoclast said:
On 6/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Indeed, I must agree that "ALL men" are under judgment to condemnation (yea, condemned already), not due to their own sin, but due to Adam's sin.  However, the very same statement of God's Holy Word ALSO declares that "the free gift" of salvation has come upon (is available to) "ALL men" as well.  

Expand  

Hello pastor Scott,

I think this is not accurate in this way;

All men ever born, sinned and died in Adam...YES. They are in Adam by natural birth.

All that are IN Christ only get there by New birth, being born from above....Spiritual birth....NOT ALL MEN GET THAT.

Iconoclast, I do not think your interpretation is accurate in this way. The righteousness of the one free gift did come upon all men when Jesus Christ came to earth as a man, lived life to perfection as an example to all men, then was crucified for all men's sins, was buried and rose again on the third day and is seated at the right hand of the Father so that all men might receive justification of life through Him.

Jesus Christ was that free gift spoken of in Romans 5:18, and He did come upon all men.

The interesting thing about a gift is that the person to whom it is offered may freely receive it, or just as freely reject it.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

God offered the free gift of His Son. You receive by believing, you reject by not believing. Free will choice made to all.

8 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

You are ready to cast all these brothers into Hell, when they openly confessed Christ? Be careful my friend!?

Interesting you should ask this question. How many billions have Calvinists cast into hell because Calvinists believe they have not been "predestined"? I am glad I do not believe in the God of the Calvinists. A god that would create someone with no option but to spend eternity in hell does not fit in the pages of my Bible.

Edited by Napsterdad

• Members
24 minutes ago, Napsterdad said:

Iconoclast, I do not think your interpretation is accurate in this way. The righteousness of the one free gift did come upon all men when Jesus Christ came to earth as a man, lived life to perfection as an example to all men, then was crucified for all men's sins, was buried and rose again on the third day and is seated at the right hand of the Father so that all men might receive justification of life through Him.

Jesus Christ was that free gift spoken of in Romans 5:18, and He did come upon all men.

The interesting thing about a gift is that the person to whom it is offered may freely receive it, or just as freely reject it.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

God offered the free gift of His Son. You receive by believing, you reject by not believing. Free will choice made to all.

Interesting you should ask this question. How many billions have Calvinists cast into hell because Calvinists believe they have not been "predestined"? I am glad I do not believe in the God of the Calvinists. A god that would create someone with no option but to spend eternity in hell does not fit in the pages of my Bible.

Hello Napster

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like we have some differences to look at.

Jesus was sinless and perfect.Agreed.

We differ on the cross in that I believe Jesus died a Covenant death for those the Father gave to Him.Hebrews 2:9-16....He took upon Himself the seed of Abraham, not the seed of Adam.

In jn6:37-44 Jesus describes who He died for.

All the Father has given to Him....will come.

He as the Good Shepherd will seek and save everyone of them.lk19....Ezk34. 

He will seek and save all that were given to Him.

No more, no less.

They are the everyone believing  in Jn3:15,16. They are scattered worldwide jn11:49-52.

• Members
1 minute ago, Iconoclast said:

Hello Napster

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like we have some differences to look at.

Jesus was sinless and perfect.Agreed.

We differ on the cross in that I believe Jesus died a Covenant death for those the Father gave to Him.Hebrews 2:9-16....He took upon Himself the seed of Abraham, not the seed of Adam.

In jn6:37-44 Jesus describes who He died for.

All the Father has given to Him....will come.

He as the Good Shepherd will seek and save everyone of them.lk19....Ezk34. 

He will seek and save all that were given to Him.

No more, no less.

They are the everyone believing  in Jn3:15,16. They are scattered worldwide jn11:49-52.

Because men are bound by sin they do not seek God.

Psalm14:1-3

Roman's 3

1 cor2:14

A careful examination of Romans5 reveals it is speaking about those who are justified by faith...Roman's 5:1

Take note in Roman's 5

We have peace...vs1

We have access...vs2

We stand, rejoice in hope,,vs2

We glory in tribulations knowing..vs3

The love of God is shed abroad in OUR hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to US...vs5

WE..vs6

toward us, we,...vs8

Being now justified  ,We shall be saved...vs9

We were enemies, we were reconciled, we shall be saved..vs11

We joy in God, we have received the atonement. Vs11

I would just suggest you read through the chapter and see who is being addressed. Vs19 says many will be made righteous, not all.

I

• Members
58 minutes ago, Napsterdad said:

Calvinists do not cast anyone to hell, their uncovered sin sends them to hell.jn8:24.

Men have self will that is not free.

Free will is a false philosophical concept not found in scripture regarding the bound will of man.

It comes from carnal philosophy, not scripture.

Men make choices according to their nature. 

In heaven we will not be free to sin.

A believer is not "free" to sin now.We are still able to sin having a non glorified body now.

The Calvinist God as you describe Him is the biblical God who created everything Good...Gen1:31.

He cannot sin, man did.

Do not blame God for mans sin and rebellion. 

Men are born physically alienated from the life of God, that is why new birth is necessary.

Napster, do you believe Adam died in the fall?

Or was he just wounded a little bit?

The word used in eph2 is necroos....dead, a spiritual corpse.

• Members
10 hours ago, Jerry said:

Good thing I am not a Calvinist, nor forced to believe in some specific creed. The Bible is my source of truth, not some creed or ancient preachers/church. If a creed, a preacher, a church, a denomination, contradicts the Word of God then they should be rejected inasmuch as they do so. If the whole pot is full of poison (ie. if there is death in the pot), then I reject the whole mixed up stew. If it is just a few (especially minor) matters that they are wrong on, then I can reject those issues and points and still glean from them, but if their whole pottage is filled with error, I am going to look for solid meat elsewhere. 

Yup, those He did foreknow, He predestined to certain things. Foreknew what? Foreknew that they would receive the Saviour, believe the Gospel, trust in the Lord. Those that did so are predestined to be made like Christ, predestined to be glorified, predestined to have an inheritance in Christ and a home in Heaven.

Hello Jerry

You do not seem to understand. 

I say that because of your posts.

1] no one is forced to believe any creed.Biblical Calvinists in every historic confession of faith list scripture as the only God give rule for faith and practice.

2] Everyone claims to believe the bible.That is not the real question. The real question is what does the bible teach?

3] you completely miss Roman's 8:29-30.

It does not say WHAT HE DID FOREKNOW...IT SAYS WHO..IE THE PEOPLE.

4] your emotional statements are not scriptural at all.

Use scripture if you feel the need to offer correction. 

• Members

Hmmm.  It appears that the debate over the teaching of Calvinism concerning the doctrine of salvation has exploded in this thread over the past few hours. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Indeed, I must agree that "ALL men" are under judgment to condemnation (yea, condemned already), not due to their own sin, but due to Adam's sin.  However, the very same statement of God's Holy Word ALSO declares that "the free gift" of salvation has come upon (is available to) "ALL men" as well.  Now, if contextually the "all men" phrase in the first half of the verse refers to every single human individual who enters the world, then contextually the "all men" phrase in the second half of the verse would refer to the same - to EVERY SINGLE human individual who enters the world.

10 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Hello pastor Scott,

I think this is not accurate in this way;

All men ever born, sinned and died in Adam...YES. They are in Adam by natural birth.

All that are IN Christ only get there by New birth, being born from above....Spiritual birth....NOT ALL MEN GET THAT.

Mr. Iconoclast,

Since thus far you have only engaged one of my past postings in this thread discussion (as per the above quote), for the moment I shall remain focused on your thoughts concerning Romans 5.  Yet you have indeed added one further posting concerning your understanding of Romans 5 (although not directly to me), and that posting presents some of your understanding concerning the broader context of the entire chapter, as follows:

1 hour ago, Iconoclast said:

A careful examination of Romans5 reveals it is speaking about those who are justified by faith...Roman's 5:1

Take note in Roman's 5

We have peace...vs1

We have access...vs2

We stand, rejoice in hope,,vs2

We glory in tribulations knowing..vs3

The love of God is shed abroad in OUR hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to US...vs5

WE..vs6

toward us, we,...vs8

Being now justified  ,We shall be saved...vs9

We were enemies, we were reconciled, we shall be saved..vs11

We joy in God, we have received the atonement. Vs11

I would just suggest you read through the chapter and see who is being addressed. Vs19 says many will be made righteous, not all.

Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1 begins the context of Romans 5 with a focus upon those who are "justified by faith" in Christ, and that it employs first-person, plural pronouns to designate this contextual focus -- "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1-11 (which is where in your above posting you stopped presenting examples) employs the first-person, plural pronouns "we," "us," and "our" multiple times (18 times, if my count is accurate).  However, you gave instruction that we should read through the entire chapter.  So, what do we find when we actually do this?  We find something quite noticeable.  First, we find a different contextual focus presented in Romans 5:12 (than that of Romans 5:1) -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."  Thus it appears that the focus of Romans 5:12 and the context that follows is no longer upon those who are "justified by faith," but upon the "all men" of this world.  Furthermore, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-20 we do not encounter even a single first-person, plural pronoun (which is quite noticeable, considering how many of them we encountered throughout Romans 5:1-11).  In fact, we do not encounter another first-person, plural pronoun until the end of Romans 5:21.  Finally, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-21 the more common designations are bound up in the words "all" and "many."  Even so, we are able to recognize that grammatically and contextually Romans 5:1-11 and Romans 5:12-21 are describing two different designations of people.  Thus your attempt above to draw the contextual focus of Romans 5:1-11 into the contextual focus of Romans 5:12-21 is grammatically and contextually false.  Indeed, I agree - "read through the chapter" as a whole and "see who is being addressed" in each contextual portion.

Guest Heartstrings
12 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Does Jn 3:15-18 say the whole world will be saved? or is it everyone  believing ?

God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked, nevertheless they will go into second death.

God is certainly willing that many perish, He says so in Mt7: 

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The following is the principle invitation to salvation given by God throughout the Bible:  Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

The "Life" is Jesus Christ. God wants everyone to choose Jesus, but not everyone will. God knows that. He knows who will and who won't because He's God. But He still invites you just the same, implores you, just like He did to those Israelites in Deuteronomy 30.  You also will "choose" whether or not to accept what I just wrote. We all are all free to choose, only we are not free from the consequences of our choices.

• Members
2 hours ago, Guest Heartstrings said:

The following is the principle invitation to salvation given by God throughout the Bible:  Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

The "Life" is Jesus Christ. God wants everyone to choose Jesus, but not everyone will. God knows that. He knows who will and who won't because He's God. But He still invites you just the same, implores you, just like He did to those Israelites in Deuteronomy 30.  You also will "choose" whether or not to accept what I just wrote. We all are all free to choose, only we are not free from the consequences of our choices.

Hello GH,

Good post.I agree with your overall idea and believe you have an interest in mt28:19-20.

I see it more from the revealed will of God from the Divine side as in isa.46.9-11..

God does All He purposes to do.

On the last day, everyone He wanted to save, will be saved.

Biblically God never intended to save everyone. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm.  It appears that the debate over the teaching of Calvinism concerning the doctrine of salvation has exploded in this thread over the past few hours. 

Mr. Iconoclast,

Since thus far you have only engaged one of my past postings in this thread discussion (as per the above quote), for the moment I shall remain focused on your thoughts concerning Romans 5.  Yet you have indeed added one further posting concerning your understanding of Romans 5 (although not directly to me), and that posting presents some of your understanding concerning the broader context of the entire chapter, as follows:

Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1 begins the context of Romans 5 with a focus upon those who are "justified by faith" in Christ, and that it employs first-person, plural pronouns to designate this contextual focus -- "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  Indeed, you are correct that Romans 5:1-11 (which is where in your above posting you stopped presenting examples) employs the first-person, plural pronouns "we," "us," and "our" multiple times (18 times, if my count is accurate).  However, you gave instruction that we should read through the entire chapter.  So, what do we find when we actually do this?  We find something quite noticeable.  First, we find a different contextual focus presented in Romans 5:12 (than that of Romans 5:1) -- "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."  Thus it appears that the focus of Romans 5:12 and the context that follows is no longer upon those who are "justified by faith," but upon the "all men" of this world.  Furthermore, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-20 we do not encounter even a single first-person, plural pronoun (which is quite noticeable, considering how many of them we encountered throughout Romans 5:1-11).  In fact, we do not encounter another first-person, plural pronoun until the end of Romans 5:21.  Finally, we find that throughout Romans 5:12-21 the more common designations are bound up in the words "all" and "many."  Even so, we are able to recognize that grammatically and contextually Romans 5:1-11 and Romans 5:12-21 are describing two different designations of people.  Thus your attempt above to draw the contextual focus of Romans 5:1-11 into the contextual focus of Romans 5:12-21 is grammatically and contextually false.  Indeed, I agree - "read through the chapter" as a whole and "see who is being addressed" in each contextual portion.

Hello Pastor Scott,

Good post...I am working now but will do more later on.

Yes it shifts to our two representatives 

First Adam, Last Adam...

All men ever born were in the first Adam...natural men...sinners

All who are in the last Adam are there by new birth...this is only the elect...Spiritually born from Above...not all men who ever lived

More later...ask any question on this I will respond tonight.

Guest Heartstrings
1 hour ago, Iconoclast said:

Hello GH,

Good post.I agree with your overall idea and believe you have an interest in mt28:19-20.

I see it more from the revealed will of God from the Divine side as in isa.46.9-11..

God does All He purposes to do.

On the last day, everyone He wanted to save, will be saved.

Biblically God never intended to save everyone. 

Friend,  you think that God has the ability and privilege to choose, but doesn't allow us the same? God's "purpose" in this was to send His only begotten Son into the world so that "whosoever" could "choose" . Read Deuteronomy 30:19 again. Read it and let it sink in. God's purpose was/is to give us a choice. There is nothing of our merit in our choosing either. We either "choose Life" or "choose death". That is God's purpose, Manifested and fulfilled in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Are you going to choose to believe this or not? It really is that simple.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: