• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
On 6/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, SureWord said:

No doubt babies go to heaven. Whether they are part of the church I am not sure. They may be part of some other redeemed body in heaven. Maybe part of the "general assembly" (Hebrews 12:23)

15 hours ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

"No doubt" ?   Then why has this same point been argued for centuries without clear resolution ?  i.e. there has been no clear definitive specific or general provable argument or statement of Scripture of such a statement.

For comparison,   why are so many babies/children declared unclean by Jesus. ? (all those who are without at least one believing parent.)

11 hours ago, SureWord said:

"No doubt" because sin is not imputed where there's no knowledge of the law. Babies have no knowledge of the law.

I think the only ones debating about this for centuries are wacky 5-point Calvinists.

For the sake of accuracy, but with no intention to engage in debate on the matter within this thread discussion --

I myself am a ZERO point Calvinist (thus in NO WAY a "wacky 5-point Calvinist"); however, I DO have disagreement with the "no doubt" comment concerning babies.

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

For the sake of accuracy, but with no intention to engage in debate on the matter within this thread discussion --

I myself am a ZERO point Calvinist (thus in NO WAY a "wacky 5-point Calvinist"); however, I DO have disagreement with the "no doubt" comment concerning babies.

So where do babies go? 

• Members
God Would Have ALL Men to be Saved!!

2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. == A stake in the false teaching Calvinism's heart!

• Members

Surely,  a false gospel , whoever brings a false gospel,  brings it wherever they go - any forum,  any church,  any school.  They cannot do otherwise, can they ?

They could be anti-C,  pro-C,  neither C nor A,  and they still carry a false gospel everywhere.   (except within the assembly of believers,  where they are not permitted).

• Members
15 minutes ago, SureWord said:

So where do babies go? 

The point of my comment was NOT to declare my certainty as to where any given baby goes, but was to communicate my DOUBT that the commonly held viewpoint can be established with Biblical certainty.

From my understanding of Romans 5:12-19, I believe not only in "original" sin (as per Adam's sin), but also in "original" guilt, judgment, and condemnation.  In and because of Adam's first sin, ALL are sinful sinners in the sight of God; ALL stand guilty before God; and ALL are condemned already under God's judgment.

However, I also believe from other passages of Scripture that ALL are given a legitimate drawing unto the opportunity of salvation through faith.  Thus I am brought to a place of doctrinal quandary.  To claim that all babies go to heaven is to deny the need for faith on their part (which would stand contrary to a great deal of Biblical truth).  To claim that all babies go to hell is to deny the legitimate opportunity of faith from them (which would not really be a problem if I actually believed in Calvinism). 

Even so, I am brought to a place of conjecture (but recognizing that it is conjecture only, without a word of Scripture one way or the other).  How can the above truths of Biblical doctrine be reconciled?  My own conjecture gives answer -- In the precise moment of death, wherein the babies mind is made fully capable, the Lord our God grants a single, momentary opportunity of decision to believe or reject the Savior.  With that conjecture in mind, I cannot tell where any given baby goes because God has not and does not reveal to me the decision of each and every baby.

Yet regardless of anyone's agreement or disagreement with me on this, it is simply not accurate to claim that ONLY Calvinists doubt where baby's go.  Some of us non-Calvinists (indeed, firmly non-Calvinist) also possess doubt; and we do so because we cannot find ABSOLUTE certainty from that which God's Word specifically teaches on the matter.  We engage in conjecture in order to balance all of the doctrinal truths from God's Word that apply to the matter; but we acknowledge our conjecture as being conjecture, not as being absolute Biblical doctrine.

• Members

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The fall of Adam created a sin nature in all of us but sin is not imputed where there is no knowledge of the law since sin itself is a transgression of the law. Therefore I don't see how babies could go to hell or any of place (Limbo, Paradise, "under the altar") other than heaven for they could not have this knowledge.

Now this doesn't mean they will be part of the body of Christ (i.e. the church of the firstborn) but perhaps the "general assembly" or some other place within the "family of God". I do believe they will be covered under the blood of Christ.

• Members

Oh, I believe there is direct evidence in Scripture of a child's innocence before God. Not only direct evidence but also many clues and deliberate omissions in Scripture. Keep in mind that I am not a grieving parent over a deceased child and that I as many, made professions of "faith" as a child. None of that changes what Scripture reveals.

Children and the New Birth?

• Members

Cain LIVED BEFORE the TORAH was given.

Genesis 4:7 If you do what is right, will you not be ...
[Search domain www.biblehub.com/genesis/4-7.htm] https://www.biblehub.com/genesis/4-7.htm
Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master." .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sin brought DEATH before the TORAH was given.

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world ...
[Search domain biblehub.com/romans/5-12.htm] https://biblehub.com/romans/5-12.htm
12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned.

13 For sin was in the world before the law was given

=======================================

Children are almost all unclean:

1 Corinthians 7:13 And if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife,

and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband.

Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The fall of Adam created a sin nature in all of us but sin is not imputed where there is no knowledge of the law since sin itself is a transgression of the law. Therefore I don't see how babies could go to hell or any of place (Limbo, Paradise, "under the altar") other than heaven for they could not have this knowledge.

Now this doesn't mean they will be part of the body of Christ (i.e. the church of the firstborn) but perhaps the "general assembly" or some other place within the "family of God". I do believe they will be covered under the blood of Christ.

Not really the point of my original post on this matter.  As I stated therein, I do NOT intend to debate this subject in the present thread discussion.  So then, what was the point of my original post on this matter?  

You said -- "No doubt."  But some of us DO indeed "doubt."  Furthermore, you said -- "The only ones debating" (doubting) the matter were Calvinists.  Yet some of us who "doubt" are NOT Calvinists by any degree.  In that thought/statement you simply were inaccurate. 

(Note: If you desire to discuss this matter more directly with me, I am willing to give some time to doing so in a thread discussion dedicated for that subject.)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
added "note"

• Members
50 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

Cain LIVED BEFORE the TORAH was given.

Genesis 4:7 If you do what is right, will you not be ...
[Search domain www.biblehub.com/genesis/4-7.htm] https://www.biblehub.com/genesis/4-7.htm
Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master." .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sin brought DEATH before the TORAH was given.

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world ...
[Search domain biblehub.com/romans/5-12.htm] https://biblehub.com/romans/5-12.htm
12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned.

13 For sin was in the world before the law was given

=======================================

Children are almost all unclean:

1 Corinthians 7:13 And if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife,

and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband.

Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Jeff,

We appreciate your comments. On Online Baptist, for several reasons, we only use the Authorized Version of the Bible, more commonly named the King James Version, in order to stop confusion. Could you please use only the KJV when quoting the Bible?

Thanks!

Alan

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

Jeff,

We appreciate your comments. On Online Baptist, for several reasons, we only use the Authorized Version of the Bible, more commonly named the King James Version, in order to stop confusion. Could you please use only the KJV when quoting the Bible?

Thanks!

Alan

I will try to ...   Usually I have short time,   and copy paste from biblegateway /internet searches for expediency ,  when the meaning is kept true.

Note that those quotes I've used in any posts,  do not contradict KJV, as far as known.  

When the meaning is known, actually,   none of the frequently authorized translations contradict each other,  again as far as known.

I had to do an internet search on someone's post/quote of Scripture - it looked to me like a country's (Danish/Norwegian/other) particular language.. at first,  and not very clear....  

So,  I might use other internet search findings, perhaps best Hebrew and original language as close as possible (no, I don't know other languages, but love the simple plain truthful rendering when available of them in word studies, etc) ....

Shalom to all who love and follow Jesus,

Jeff

• Members

Jeff,

May I remind you of the rules, which every forum board has, which a person should have read before posting.

Rule # 3 plainly states, " 3. Feel free to quote the Bible, if you do we ask that you use the KJV. This is done to avoid confusion. The Administrators and Moderators of this site believe that the KJV is Gods preserved Word for the English speaking people, and we ask that you respect that and use the KJV when quoting scripture."

When I first read your post the scriptures that you quoted were confusing, and still are, so, I knew that they were not from the KJV Bible but some other modern version. What you posted confused the issue at hand and did not help me to understand the issue better.

Please, out of respect for the written words of God, and respect for the rules on Online Baptist, and respect for those who have a deep reverence and respect for the written words of God, and to stop confusing issues, use the KJV.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members
3 hours ago, Alan said:

Jeff,

May I remind you of the rules, which every forum board has, which a person should have read before posting.

Rule # 3 plainly states, " 3. Feel free to quote the Bible, if you do we ask that you use the KJV. This is done to avoid confusion. The Administrators and Moderators of this site believe that the KJV is Gods preserved Word for the English speaking people, and we ask that you respect that and use the KJV when quoting scripture."

When I first read your post the scriptures that you quoted were confusing, and still are, so, I knew that they were not from the KJV Bible but some other modern version. What you posted confused the issue at hand and did not help me to understand the issue better.

Please, out of respect for the written words of God, and respect for the rules on Online Baptist, and respect for those who have a deep reverence and respect for the written words of God, and to stop confusing issues, use the KJV.

Alan

Shalom Alan et al,  to you and your households today, ....

I have no problem with the rules and purposes you refer to.

If something was confusing, or not understood to you,  it would be best to quote the post and ask what it means.   Otherwise I have no idea,  and others may have no idea,  what confuses you.

There is no "confusing issues" in my posts that I know of - except as and when I post something that shows a previous post has an error,  to bring to light the error and see if the poster is interested or not. - i.e. the poster, or readers,  who know and love the truth,  or who don't care (since I don't know them,  except for one 'new' poster who broadcasts false gospel everywhere he (or she or them) goes) ....

Scripture is Truth.

jeff

• Members
3 hours ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

Shalom Alan et al,  to you and your households today, ....

I have no problem with the rules and purposes you refer to.

If something was confusing, or not understood to you,  it would be best to quote the post and ask what it means.   Otherwise I have no idea,  and others may have no idea,  what confuses you.

There is no "confusing issues" in my posts that I know of - except as and when I post something that shows a previous post has an error,  to bring to light the error and see if the poster is interested or not. - i.e. the poster, or readers,  who know and love the truth,  or who don't care (since I don't know them,  except for one 'new' poster who broadcasts false gospel everywhere he (or she or them) goes) ....

Scripture is Truth.

jeff

Jeff,

If you have no problem with the rules than why do I have to explain anything to you?

Alan