• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members

I assume that in this thread discussion we are speaking only about the doctrine of salvation (soteriology).  As such . . .

Of the five points commonly argued, I would hold to ZERO points with Calvinism, THREE points with Arminianism, and TWO points with neither one.

• 7 months later...
  • Members
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, PastorMatt said:

I find it alarming that too many people think that there are only two choices here. Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

I identify myself as being a Christian, who members in a local Baptist Church, who hold to Calvinistic theology in regards to salvation itself, but do not see us as being the "only real Christians".

• Moderators

I’m not sure that anyone here has said anything about being the ‘only real Christians.’ That’s a straw man argument. The point of this thread is to discuss the doctrinal point is Calvinism and Arminianism, and whether either of them are doctrinally accurate. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Salyan said:

I’m not sure that anyone here has said anything about being the ‘only real Christians.’ That’s a straw man argument. The point of this thread is to discuss the doctrinal point is Calvinism and Arminianism, and whether either of them are doctrinally accurate. 

As Spurgeon himself stated, Calvinism is the Gospel, in that it expounds and explains the plan of salvation best on how God does it in the good news message of Christ.

• Members
On 2/3/2018 at 1:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

I say I'm neither. 

My impression of calvinisim is they do not call out for salvation.. they are chosen before they believe. I believe a sinner does call out for salvation. Akin to Romans 10.

My impression of Arminianism is they believe salvation can be lossed. I don't believe it can. According to the likes of John 3:16, 5:24, 3:36 among many other verses. 

So neither 

• Moderators

Calvinism is primarily a philosophy, not a doctrine: they take certain biblical truths, (ie, Man by nature is dead in sin,) then leap to philosophy to explain what that means, (if dead, he has no ability of himself to call upon God, because the dead can't do anything), while ignoring the fact that the Bible explains that Jesus lights every man that comes into the world, (gives all men light to have faith), and thus, faith begins with God, for ALL men, and therefore, yes, we can respond, though dead in sins, because God has given us the ability to do so. 

God IS sovereign, but it in no way lessens His sovereignty that He allows man to choose to follow or not. Calvinistic sovereignty equates to mechanical direction, some will follow, some will not, because they have no other choice BUT to follow or not. So God commands people to follow, but disallows MOST the ability to do so, then punishes those same for NOT doing what He doesn't let them do. There is nothing in scripture to begin to imply anything like that. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

Either viewpoint is within orthodoxy, but think that 5 point calvinist viewpoint in regards to Sotierology proper fits the biblical account the best!

• Members

It's not what we think but what the Bible says. The Bible says that "God so loved the world" not some of the world. The Bible says that "God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked". The Bible says that "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance". The Bible documents that people can hear the Gospel, be convicted, and then reject it of their own free will. And God has documented that He loves people who He knows will reject Him. I can give you more but I'm kind of busy right now.

• Members
4 hours ago, DaChaser said:

Either viewpoint is within orthodoxy, but think that 5 point calvinist viewpoint in regards to Sotierology proper fits the biblical account the best!

Calvinism and Arminianism are both heresy because they backload works into the gospel! Anyone preaching Calvinism or Arminianism is accursed and must be marked and avoided as per Romans 16:17-18! Calvinism and Arminianism can not save and will not save!!!

• Members
1 hour ago, gracelife said:

Calvinism and Arminianism are both heresy because they backload works into the gospel! Anyone preaching Calvinism or Arminianism is accursed and must be marked and avoided as per Romans 16:17-18! Calvinism and Arminianism can not save and will not save!!!

I think Arminianism more often can be a false Gospel, Calvinism not so much. Most of the Calvinists I know believe that salvation is through faith in the Gospel. BTW I do not accept Calvinism.