• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Okay, that is helping I think. Thank you

3 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

No...

(Hebrews 11:1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

The reason I thought that is because my Sunday school teacher, that is good with Greek taught me that

• Members
On 11/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Roselove said:

I’m finding this very difficult. Please respond as soon as you can.

In order to give answer unto your most recent series of questions and thoughts, I must express a few correctives.  Even so, allow me first to express a corrective concerning the meaning of faith.

It is not precisely accurate to define Biblical faith as "trust AND obedience."  It would be more precise to define Biblical faith as "trust FOR and UNTO obedience."  In the great faith chapter of Hebrews 11, the active and faithful obedience of so many is NOT presented as equivalent to their faith.  Rather, their active and faithful obedience is presented as the RESULT of their faith; and their faith is presented as the MOTIVATION for their active and faithful obedience.  They are presented as actively and faithfully obeying BY faith and/or THROUGH faith.  (Note: As a side thought for meditation, it is interesting that Samson is included among those in this great faith chapter. (See verse 32)  Yet in accord with the record of God's Word concerning Samson's life, most of us would NOT consider him to have been very faithful in his walk before the Lord.)

On the other hand, Hebrews 11 does provide us with some understanding concerning the MEANING of Biblical faith --

In Hebrews 11:1 we see the DESCRIPTION of Biblical faith:
1.  "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
2.  the evidence of things not seen."

This reveals what faith does within us -
1.  It provides substance in our hearts for our hope.
2.  It provides evidence in our hearts for our convictions.

In Hebrews 11:6 we see the DIRECTION of Biblical faith:
"But without faith it is impossible to please him:
1.  for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,
2.  and that he is a rewarded of them that diligently seek him." 

This reveals what our faith must be in relation to God's Person - 
1.  We must believe from our hearts in the eternal existence of God.
2.  We must believe from our hearts in the righteous faithfulness of God.

In Hebrews 11:13 we see the DEFINITION of Biblical faith:
"These all died in faith, not having received the promises,
1.  but having seen them afar off,
2.  and were persuaded of them,
3.  and embraced them,
and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

This reveals what faith will look like in relation to God's Word -
1.  We will accept the reality of God's truth and promises. ("the evidence of things not see")
2.  We will be persuaded in the certainty of God's truth and promises. ("the substance of things hoped for")
3.  We will embrace with settled conviction the faithfulness of God's truth and promises. ("the substance of things hoped for")

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sister Rose,

I still need to provide a corrective concerning the meaning of "spirit."  However, before I do that, I wish to consider the meaning of faith is relation to the matter of the believer's security.

Concerning the doctrine of the believer's security, those who hold to "eternal security" generally place their focus of faith upon the faithfulness of the GODHEAD.  Whereas those who deny (or doubt) the position of "eternal security" generally place their focus upon the faithfulness of the individual believer.  Now, the faithfulness of the Godhead is eternally unfailing; therefore, those who place their focus of faith therein find a sure and steadfast foundation for their assurance of security.  However, the faithfulness of us believers is ever inconsistent; therefore, those who place their focus therein either begin to think more highly of their faithfulness than they ought to think, or begin to develop a growing uncertainty concerning their security.  As such, those who hold to "eternal security" believe in salvation by God's grace through faith in Christ alone, and believe in security by God's own faithfulness and power alone.  However, those who deny (or doubt) the position of "eternal security" may believe in salvation by God's grace through faith in Christ alone, but then believe in security through the believer's efforts of faithfulness.

I myself definitely hold to "eternal security."  Every passage within the New Testament wherein I see it taught focuses my faith, not upon my faithfulness (or lack thereof), but upon the eternally unfailing faithfulness of the Lord my God and Savior.  I believe with conviction that as a believer in Christ I am eternally secure because HE is eternally faithful.  Even if I fall away into a lifestyle wherein I no longer believe, "yet he abideth faithful: he CANNOT deny himself." (See 2 Timothy 2:13)

Now, if God's Word really does provide us a promise (or promises) of our security, then it is our responsibility to believe the promise of God.  In accord with the definition of faith in Hebrews 11:13, it is our responsibility to see afar off the fulfillment of that promise, to be persuaded concerning the fulfillment of that promise, to embrace the fulfillment of that promise, and to live our lives daily in accord with the reality of that promise.

Yet that raises the question -- Does God's Word really provide us with a promise of the believer's security?  The difficulty in answering this question is that the words "secure" or "security" are never used within the King James translation of the New Testament in relation to the believer's future.  So then, we must ask -- What is the meaning of "the believer's security," and does God's Word make promise concerning this meaning simply with different terminology?

Now, I do have an answer concerning this question.  However, before I provide it, I would ask you, Sister Rose, to consider and communicate your understanding concerning the MEANING of the believer's security.  What do YOU think it means?

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members

Pastor Markle,

I appreciate your series of lessons on eternal security and refuting those who teach otherwise. Your thoughts on Samson are correct. Those who use King Saul as an example of a believer who loses their salvation almost to a man (or woman), will not even mention Samson as one of the great men of faith included in Hebrews11. Thank you.

Your inclusion, and teaching on the character of God, and His eternal faithfulness, as revealed in  2 Timothy 2:13, and other passages, is appreciated.

The Apostle  Paul clearly stated, "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." 2 Timothy 2:13

I would like to add a personal note to this series of lessons on eternal security. When this study has reached an conclusion, or an impasse, if you would consider arranging your lessons, in the order of your choosing, and either uploading a pdf file with these lessons, or write a booklet, I believe the Lord could use them to a fuller extent.

May the Lord bless you, your ministry, and your family for your faithful adherence to the scriptures.

Alan