• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A simple request

• Members

In February, we had to get a new heating and air system. Thousands of dollars unexpected.

In July, we had to get a new roof. Thousands of dollars unexpected, but not surprising.

Yesterday, our hot water heater went out. It's gas, and a small water leak is the culprit which causes the pilot light to go out. 

We are debating on replacing the water heater or getting a tankless water heater. Due to a current "special" offered by a local propane company, the tankless will be only a couple of hundred dollars more than a traditional water heater. 

From my limited knowledge, tankless water heaters are great. 

Can anyone shed any light on this...tankless vs. traditional? 

Also, please pray...this is another unexpected expense that has come at a bad time.

I guess 20 years is pretty good for how long this one lasted though...

• Moderators

They're wonderful if you get a heater large enough to meet your needs. Since your current unit is gas, get a gas tankless. Local supply (at the sink) electric units require a separate 110v circuit for each one. Most of the whole house units I installed required 70A/240V. Some were 100A or 125A/ 240V. That could end up with a new sub panel and even possibly a service replacement. I LOVE them but recommend them for new construction only, I don't believe it's worth the money as a remodel item (talking about the electric units, not the gas ones).

• Members
57 minutes ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

They're wonderful if you get a heater large enough to meet your needs. Since your current unit is gas, get a gas tankless. Local supply (at the sink) electric units require a separate 110v circuit for each one. Most of the whole house units I installed required 70A/240V. Some were 100A or 125A/ 240V. That could end up with a new sub panel and even possibly a service replacement. I LOVE them but recommend them for new construction only, I don't believe it's worth the money as a remodel item (talking about the electric units, not the gas ones).

Thank you OFP. 

I need to talk with my plumber some more. Our current water heater uses natural gas. The tankless that he spoke of uses propane, so part of the deal is to also install a small propane tank (200-250 gallons). He said it would use about 100 gallons a year. Does that sound about right? I also need to check on the price of propane...

• Moderators
5 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Thank you OFP. 

I need to talk with my plumber some more. Our current water heater uses natural gas. The tankless that he spoke of uses propane, so part of the deal is to also install a small propane tank (200-250 gallons). He said it would use about 100 gallons a year. Does that sound about right? I also need to check on the price of propane...

May be, not up on the gas / plumbing end of things. I just send current through things so it can make your water exciting. As I told a customer after fixing his Jacuzzi, "If you get a tingle or your hair stands up while using this thing, give me a call 'cause it ain't quite right yet."

• Members
8 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Thank you OFP. 

Our heating, water and space heating is from piped natural gas.  They sell it by KWH, the meters register cubic metres and the convert it via calorific value and by some mathematical mumbo jumbo to kilowatt hours,  Back in the old days of coal gas the meter read it in cubic feet and that was what it was sold in. We knew what it meant then.

• Members
10 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

In February, we had to get a new heating and air system. Thousands of dollars unexpected.

In July, we had to get a new roof. Thousands of dollars unexpected, but not surprising.

Yesterday, our hot water heater went out. It's gas, and a small water leak is the culprit which causes the pilot light to go out. 

We are debating on replacing the water heater or getting a tankless water heater. Due to a current "special" offered by a local propane company, the tankless will be only a couple of hundred dollars more than a traditional water heater. 

From my limited knowledge, tankless water heaters are great. 

Also, please pray...this is another unexpected expense that has come at a bad time.

I guess 20 years is pretty good for how long this one lasted though...

Modern gas boilers over here don't have pilot lights, they light electronically when the water or heating comes on.  We legally have to have condenser boilers on new istallations.  They use much less gas.

• Members
6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Okay, the decision has been made. Due to financial restraints, I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow to buy a water heater and install it...if I'm not called in to work...

I will hopefully know today whether I'll have to work tomorrow and what the hours will be if I do have to work.

Yep...have to work tomorrow. Lowe's opens at 6:00 or 6:30 am. I'll get there early, buy it, and hopefully get it installed before I have to go in tomorrow afternoon (other things to do too). My only worry is that the plumber (who piped the original water heater) hard-piped it. From the specifications that I've read online, that shouldn't be a problem other than having to cut the pipes and installing a coupling. We'll see how it goes. Thanks to all who may have prayed.

Side note: if you're a plumbing contractor, please don't hard-pipe to a water heater. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Yep...have to work tomorrow. Lowe's opens at 6:00 or 6:30 am. I'll get there early, buy it, and hopefully get it installed before I have to go in tomorrow afternoon (other things to do too). My only worry is that the plumber (who piped the original water heater) hard-piped it. From the specifications that I've read online, that shouldn't be a problem other than having to cut the pipes and installing a coupling. We'll see how it goes. Thanks to all who may have prayed.

Side note: if you're a plumbing contractor, please don't hard-pipe to a water heater. 

Remember that newer water heaters have electric ignitors instead of pilot lights. It draws very little and can be on an existing circuit.

As to the sweated connections, it probably has to do with reducing call backs plus maybe a little job security.

• Members
On 20/09/2017 at 6:46 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Okay, the decision has been made. Due to financial restraints, I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow to buy a water heater and install it...if I'm not called in to work...

I will hopefully know today whether I'll have to work tomorrow and what the hours will be if I do have to work.

In our country it is illegal to install a gas appliance or service them if you are not registered as Gas Safe.  Not all plumbers are.  

• Members
On 20/09/2017 at 5:27 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

In France, only tankless are allowed. Our church has 3 tankless heaters one only does the central heating for the main hall.  The other two are combination heaters supplying radiators and hot water.  One supplies the kitchen and the rear hall, the other supplies the corridors, side rooms and conveniences.  

• Members
7 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Wow! Really? Things haven't reached that point here in the US yet...

Yes they have tightened up the law after many accidents.  TV show Rogue traders has shown several plumbers claiming to be Gas Safe (but who were'nt registered, who gave fake registration numbers) installing gas heaters incorrectly.  

This must be a recent regulation, as one of our deacons installed his before the regulations came in.

• Members
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

Yes they have tightened up the law after many accidents.  TV show Rogue traders has shown several plumbers claiming to be Gas Safe (but who were'nt registered, who gave fake registration numbers) installing gas heaters incorrectly.  

This must be a recent regulation, as one of our deacons installed his before the regulations came in.

I think that would cause a small turmoil here in the US for now...however, I think people (here in America) are being prepped to accept such regulations too. I see less and less people who are willing (or able) to do things themselves, and that will make it easier for the government to lay down restrictions and laws here such as you describe. Americans are becoming lazy, and they (the general population) will seemingly accept almost anything to make their lives easier...even if it infringes on their freedom...as long as it doesn't interfere with their smart phone usage. :laugh:

I'll try and post my "before" and "after" pictures later...