• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Was Simon the Sorcerer saved?

• Members

Simon was saved.  How could it read any other way?

Verse 9 tells us that Simon's sorcery was past, he didn't do it anymore.

Verse 11 tells us that his actions are past tense, not doing it anymore.

Verses 12 and 13 show that people that held Simon in high regard believed on the Lord (Got Saved) and were Baptized and he did likewise.  It reads no other way.

Verses 18-24 show as Heartstrings pointed out, this man sinned and was rebuked and he made repentance and did not want to do wrong.  Admitting and not wanting to do wrong is a sign of being saved.  In Proverbs it says the wise in heart receive commandments.  Simon did because he was.

• Members
10 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Simon was saved.  How could it read any other way?

Verse 9 tells us that Simon's sorcery was past, he didn't do it anymore.

Verse 11 tells us that his actions are past tense, not doing it anymore.

Verses 12 and 13 show that people that held Simon in high regard believed on the Lord (Got Saved) and were Baptized and he did likewise.  It reads no other way.

Verses 18-24 show as Heartstrings pointed out, this man sinned and was rebuked and he made repentance and did not want to do wrong.  Admitting and not wanting to do wrong is a sign of being saved.  In Proverbs it says the wise in heart receive commandments.  Simon did because he was.

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

When I first read this back in the 1970s I thought that he wasn't truly saved. 

However, as I've looked into my own heart and life, and seen how many times I've come short, I can see that, yes, he was truly saved but in need of repentance which he duly exhibited.

• Members

Simon wasn't saved until he heard Philip's message and believed.  Nor were the people that had previously had high regard for Simon.  They were bewitched by Simon,'s sorceries and believed them to be a power from God.

When PHilip preached to them, they believed.  At that point they were saved and were subsequently baptized.

• Members

If you an believe the written history, No he wasn't saved.  But I keep an open mind.  There are many today who 'believe' but are not saved.  I believed for many years before I was saved.

• Members

Invicta. The Bible says that old Brother Simon "believed". Have you ever sinned or been "overtaken in a fault"? I have. He was rebuked, bro, and instead of rebelling, he repented in fear and asked for prayer. Sounds like a brother in Christ to me.

• Members
53 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Invicta. The Bible says that old Brother Simon "believed". Have you ever sinned or been "overtaken in a fault"? I have. He was rebuked, bro, and instead of rebelling, he repented in fear and asked for prayer. Sounds like a brother in Christ to me.

But he didn't pray for himself.  I have had people at work who asked me to pray for them. But they were certainly not saved.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I find Peter's reply to Simon when asked to sell the gift of the Holy Spirit somewhat interesting.

"Thy money perish with thee..."

This is and interesting statement, since, those who are saved aren't truly "perishing".

Why those exact words by Peter?  Shouldn't Peter have known whether Simon was saved or not?

If Simon was saved, why the statement?  Why not just, "Thou canst not purchase this gift"?

The text seems to imply Salvation (he believed) but then seems to imply Salvation was not acquired after all.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Not totally sold on that, since the Apostle Paul makes a distinction between those who perish and those who are saved.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

And every post-crucifixion verse that uses the word "perish" is attributing it with the lost.