• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Faithful Baptist college

• Administrators

A local church has the discretion to require scriptural baptism of its members. Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but it is a first step in Christian growth.  This statement does not make them briders. I'm not saying they aren't; I'm just saying that statement doesn't make them so. Had they said the person baptized HAS to have been baptized in a Baptist church there would be more evidence of briderism.

@No Nicolaitans, could you let us know how you know they are briders? Thanks.

• Members

In his article, "How Different are INtependent Baptist's from other Churches?" David Warner writes:

"BAPTISM
1. Non-regenerative: It is done after salvation. It is soley symbolic. Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. [Lutherans,Methodists,etc err]
2. Membership Door: One must submit to proper church baptism in order to be a member of one of the Lord’s churches. (Acts 2:41; 8:36-38) [Charismatics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc]
3. Baptist Only: Baptist only baptism is accepted for church membership. (Mt 21:23+; 28:18-20) Matt 21:23-25 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority? And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? [even most Baptists err here]

The Methodist articles were based on those of the English Church (Episcopalian) . . . Concerning the articles of the English Church, to which he belonged, we find John Wesley writing as follows (Sermons, London, 1872, Vol. 2, sermon 45, p. 74): "It is certain our church supposes that all who are baptized in their infancy are at the same time born again; and it is allowed that the whole office of the baptism of infants proceeds on this supposition."
Lutheran dogma is expressed by their founder in the Augsburg Confession as follows: "Concerning baptism, they teach that it is necessary to salvation . . . and condemn the Anabaptists, who hold . . . that infants can be saved without it." (Neander, History of Christian Dogmas, Vol. 2, p. 693).
Presbyterians: “Being washed with the water of Baptism, Christians received new life in Christ and presented their bodies to be living sacrifices to God.” (Book of Order W-1.3033.1)"

• Members

And from their "Statement of Faith":

BAPTISM

The Scriptures teach that Christian baptism is the single immersion backwards in water of a born-again believer in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost (Mt 3:6; Mk 1:10; Jn 3:23; Acts 8:36-38; Col 2:12); to show forth in a solemn and beautiful emblem our identification with the crucified, buried and risen Savior, it pictures our death to sin and resurrection to a new life (Mt 3:16; 28:18-20; Jn 3:23; Acts 8:36-39; Ro 6:3-5; Gal 3:26,27; 1Co 15:1-3; Col 2:12; 1Pe 3:21); that baptism has no merit in salvation (baptismal regeneration); that it is prerequisite to the privileges of church membership; that baptism is to be performed under the authority and approval of one of the Lord’s churches (i.e. unapostated Baptist churches); that those baptized differently than previously stated, should not be received into the membership, but instead should submit to scriptural baptism; and further, that “open” baptism (non-Baptist and apostated Baptist) and “infant” baptism are to be wholly rejected (Mt 28:19,20, Act 2:41, Jn 3:27, Mk 11:30).

[Acts 2:41; 8:12,13, 26-39; 9:17,18; 10:25,26,44-48; 16:14,15,25-37; 18:7-11; Mt 3:1-16; 21:24,25; Jn 3:22,23; 4:1,2; Gal 3:27,28; Ro 6:4; Col 2:12; I Pe 3:15,20,21; II Sa 23:22,23; Pv 20:11]

source: 
http://www.faithfulbaptistcollegestation.com/statement-of-faith.html

• Members
31 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

A local church has the discretion to require scriptural baptism of its members. Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but it is a first step in Christian growth.  This statement does not make them briders. I'm not saying they aren't; I'm just saying that statement doesn't make them so. Had they said the person baptized HAS to have been baptized in a Baptist church there would be more evidence of briderism.

@No Nicolaitans, could you let us know how you know they are briders? Thanks.

To make a long story short, the pastor eventually told me that he was. I also was told by an acquaintance (who graduated from the college and was pursuing his Master's there) that they were Briders. My acquaintance wasn't a Brider, but he enjoyed the classes.

Based upon my own personal knowledge and interaction with the pastor, I will retract my previous statement of "They are Briders", and I'll amend it as...

The pastor is a Brider.

• Members
4 hours ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

One thing that they teach that is wrong, " A church is an organized assembly of scripturally baptized believers called out to do the Lord's work according to the New Testament." 

Nowhere does the Bible say that the Church is only comprised of baptized believers.

This sounds like an issue of semantics rather than doctrinal issue, but I don't know these guys.

• Administrators

Thanks, No Ni - his verbal assurance to you pretty much says it all, eh?

SFIC, thanks for posting those - I did glance through the statement of faith but missed the part re: his definition of open baptism. And the excerpt from his article makes it clear as well.

BaptistJon - it does sound like semantics when that is the only quote used. But if you read the other quotes, it becomes clear that the pastor at least is a brider. Not to mention his verbal assurance to No Nicolaitans.

• Members
11 hours ago, this guy said:

One thing that they teach that is wrong, " A church is an organized assembly of scripturally baptized believers called out to do the Lord's work according to the New Testament." 

Nowhere does the Bible say that the Church is only comprised of baptized believers.

Oh I don't know, how about:

Acts 2

41  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

The order is very plain - believe, baptised, added.

Your turn - show where someone was added to a church who wasn't baptised first....

Edited by DaveW

• Members

To: DaveW
Read the following webpage:

Landmark Baptists: An Analysis of the Doctrinal Errors of Landmarkism
"Landmark Baptists, have many distinctive doctrines, which need to be examined in the light of the Word of God (Acts 17:11; 1 Thess. 5:21). This group holds to the following doctrines:

1. The terms kingdom and church are synonymous terms. Graves believed that the term kingdom referred collectively to all true Baptist churches. According to Graves, the kingdom announced by John the Baptist and by the Lord Jesus was to be identified with the establishment of Christ’s church. The kingdom of which John and Jesus spoke was, according to Graves, a kingdom composed of visible Baptist Churches.

2. The church did not begin at Pentecost, but began prior to the cross, even before the death of John the Baptist.

3. In Matthew 16:18 Jesus promised an unbroken historical succession of true gospel churches on earth until He returns.

4. Only Baptist churches are Biblically qualified to function as churches.

5. The only Christian baptism is water baptism (even in such passages as Ephesians 4:5 and 1 Corinthians 12:13).

6. The baptism administered by John the Baptist was Christian baptism. John’s baptism and Christian baptism are one and the same.

7. The only Biblical church is a local church. There is no such thing as one "universal" church as the body of Christ. Graves emphatically rejected the ideas of a universal, invisible church. 

[J. M. Pendleton seemed to differ with Graves on this issue. Pendleton conceded that, in passages such as Eph. 5:25 there is one “aggregate” church of all the redeemed. See David Beale (Historical Theology In-Depth, Volume 2, page 186, footnote).]"

Landmarkism
is the same as Briderism.
Water baptism in Briderism/Landmarkism is not a simple believe, be baptized and added.  Conditions are added to believer's baptism...and that is adding "works" to the ordinance of believer's baptism.  There are some people who are physically unable to be water baptized by immersion.  We knew a man at the IFB church we used to attend who was a quadraplegic who got saved but baptizing him by immersion would have killed him.  He passed away a few years ago without being water baptized.  He is with the Lord now.  He was "added" to the Church/Body of Christ/the Bride of Christ when he believed and was baptized by the Holy Spirit (regenerated).  He was just as much a member of the Body of Christ/the Church/the Bride of Christ as any other person (Baptist or non-Baptist) who believed, was water baptized and added to the Church.

BTW---"internet theologian" is not my husband's name, so please cease and desist from using that term.

Edited by LindaR

• Members
3 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Briders and landmarkers are NOT the same thing, and I am neither.

But the order marked in Acts 2:41 IS ABSOLUTELY PLAIN.

And maybe you should do a study on what church is.......

Maybe you should read that webpage before you jump all over everyone who doesn't agree with you.

FYI, when  I speak of Landmarkism, I do not mean the parody site of the Landmark Church.  I know several people on Facebook who call themselves Landmark Baptists and hold to the same doctrines as Briderism.

• Members
7 hours ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

Acts 4:1 And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,
Acts 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.
Acts 4:3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.
Acts 4:4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Five thousand Believers... no Baptism.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

If Baptism was a necessity in order for one to be a member of the Church, Jesus Christ would have commissioned Paul to baptize those who heard the Gospel and believed.  No commission to Baptize.

Baptism is not a pre-requisite to becoming a member of Christ's Church.