• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Repent of Your Sins" False gospel

• Members
23 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

If you read Peter's sermon in Acts 2, it's evident that he preached the gospel; which is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. The majority of what is recorded of his sermon has to do with that.

How could the Jews repent of killing Christ? They couldn't go back and "unkill" him. So, there was actually something else they were to repent of. It's there...in the text.

Who was Peter talking about when he said there were things that Paul wrote which were hard to be understood? Was he talking about himself? No, he's very clear about who has a hard time understanding the writings of Paul...and it's not just Paul's writings...it's also "the other scriptures".

2 Peter 3:16

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

As to the "mystery", there are several "mysteries" that Paul wrote about. The only time that I know of; in which, he refers to the "mystery of the gospel", is in Ephesians 6:19. However, when taken with the whole of Ephesians and its many references to "the mystery", the context is clear that he's speaking about the church...both Jew and Gentiles together as fellowheirs.

It's also interesting to note that when Paul mentions this "mystery" which was kept hidden, his is telling how he received knowledge of "the mystery". Which is, he received his knowledge of "the mystery" by direct revelation. However, Paul wan't the only one who knew about "the mystery"...he just received his knowledge of it in a different way.

Ephesians 3:3-6

3 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

The other apostles (and prophets) new of the mystery too. It wasn't just given to Paul; it's just that the method of how the mystery was revealed was different for Paul than the other apostles and prophets.

One last thing...

What were some of the very last things that Christ told the apostles (including Peter) before he ascended to heaven?

(Matthew) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,

(Mark) Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

(Luke)Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations

...and what was the very last thing that Christ told the apostles (including Peter) right before he ascended to heaven?

(Acts) But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Sounds like Peter knew that Gentiles would be included to me. :)

You forget that Jesus told the apostles NOT to go to the Gentiles, but to the lost sheep of Israel.  (Matt 10:6-8)

Matthew 10:5-6: “These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying:  "Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Jesus Himself said he was sent only for the lost sheep of Israel. (Matt 15:24)

It took a while for the early church to recognize that salvation was available to the Gentiles. The Jewish Christians who fled the persecution in Jerusalem went into the Gentile regions of Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, but they were “spreading the word only among Jews”(Acts 11:19)

Read the story of Cornelius. Peter did not want to go to this man's house because he was still keeping the law refusing to touch anything unclean, but God had to open his eyes about the Gentiles.

Yes, eventually the Gospel was preached to all the world.

A little study is a wonderful thing. :)

• Members

And you forget that Jesus said:

Mat 28 :19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Notice the "all nations" in there? Wonder what that means?????

• Members
5 minutes ago, DaveW said:

And you forget that Jesus said:

Mat 28 :19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Notice the "all nations" in there? Wonder what that means?????

Nope, didn't forget, The gospel most certainly has been preached to all nations.But the NT church was slow to preach it to gentiles and it was mostly by the apostle Paul.

Anyway, this is for another thread :)

• Members
33 minutes ago, TheSword1227 said:

You forget that Jesus told the apostles NOT to go to the Gentiles, but to the lost sheep of Israel.  (Matt 10:6-8)

Matthew 10:5-6: “These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying:  "Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Jesus Himself said he was sent only for the lost sheep of Israel. (Matt 15:24)

It took a while for the early church to recognize that salvation was available to the Gentiles. The Jewish Christians who fled the persecution in Jerusalem went into the Gentile regions of Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, but they were “spreading the word only among Jews”(Acts 11:19)

Read the story of Cornelius. Peter did not want to go to this man's house because he was still keeping the law refusing to touch anything unclean, but God had to open his eyes about the Gentiles.

Yes, eventually the Gospel was preached to all the world.

A little study is a wonderful thing. :)

No sir; I didn't forget.

What was the reason for sending them unto the Jews only in Matthew 10? What was meant to be accomplished? 

What were the circumstances; in which, the Lord said what he did in Matthew 15? Why did he say it? Who was he speaking to when he said it? What was the outcome? 

Why was the early church witnessing only to Jews? Have you not seen what resulted from their preaching "to the Jews only" (Acts 11:19) in the very next verse and continuing through the end of the chapter? 

Regarding Peter and Cornelius...what ONE part of the law did Peter acknowledge he had always kept? According to Peter's own words, what ONE specific thing did he learn from the vision? According to the account, who knew that it was unlawful for Jews to company with people of other nations? What significance does that hold? Does Acts 10:43 sound like it was spoken by someone who didn't know Gentiles could be saved? 

Yes, a little study is a wonderful thing. Deeper study is even better. :)

• Members
Just now, No Nicolaitans said:

No sir; I didn't forget.

What was the reason for sending them unto the Jews only in Matthew 10? What was meant to be accomplished? 

What were the circumstances; in which, the Lord said what he did in Matthew 15? Why did he say it? Who was he speaking to when he said it? What was the outcome? 

Why was the early church witnessing only to Jews? Have you not seen what resulted from their preaching "to the Jews only" (Acts 11:19) in the very next verse and continuing through the end of the chapter? 

Regarding Peter and Cornelius...what ONE part of the law did Peter acknowledge he had always kept? According to Peter's own words, what ONE specific thing did he learn from the vision? According to the account, who knew that it was unlawful for Jews to company with people of other nations? What significance does that hold? Does Acts 10:43 sound like it was spoken by someone who didn't know Gentiles could be saved? 

Yes, a little study is a wonderful thing. Deeper study is even better. :)

If you wish to start a new topic on this that be great, but this is about repenting and I will not derail the thread anymore.

• Members
49 minutes ago, TheSword1227 said:

But the NT church was slow to preach it to gentiles 

Were they slow, or were they being obedient to a specific command given to them? 

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

• Members
5 minutes ago, TheSword1227 said:

If you wish to start a new topic on this that be great, but this is about repenting and I will not derail the thread anymore.

The thread has been derailed for sure, but neither a moderator nor BabeinChrist have asked for the thread to come back to the topic...and this is her thread.

Nevertheless, my apologies to her if my part has offended her.

No, I have no desire to start another thread.

• Members
2 hours ago, TheSword1227 said:

Sorry to continue, but I inadvertently forgot to ask something...

Where does it say that Peter didn't want to go to Cornelius' house, because he was still keeping the law? 

In fact, where does it even say that Peter didn't want to go to Cornelius' house? 

All I see is...

• he was told to go by the Spirit in verse 20
  • he was asked to go by the men sent from Cornelius in verse 22
  • In verse 23, Peter went

Nothing is said about him not wanting to go. In fact, verse 29 makes it pretty clear...he went without gainsaying as soon as he was sent for.

• Members
On 29/06/2017 at 0:37 PM, TheSword1227 said:

Yes, of course there is only one Gospel whereby we must be saved. However, the Jews understand the gospel of the kingdom which is Christ their king setting up an earthly kingdom in Jerusalem. This what the Jews are still waiting for. Do you not know that Peter accused the Jews of killing Christ because they could have had their King if Israel had accepted Him.

TheJews are waiting because they don't accept Christ.  If they became Christians they would realise that Christ is their king now.  Peter and co did not look or a coming kingdom after pentecost.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Invicta said:

TheJews are waiting because they don't accept Christ.  If they became Christians they would realise that Christ is their king now.  Peter and co did not look or a coming kingdom after pentecost.

Start another thread to continue this discussion. Back to the original topic.

• Members
1 minute ago, HappyChristian said:

Start another thread to continue this discussion. Back to the original topic.

Sorry, LuAnne

I wrote that post before your last post and only got around to sending it today and hadn't seen your last post.

• Members
On June 30, 2017 at 10:20 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

The thread has been derailed for sure, but neither a moderator nor BabeinChrist have asked for the thread to come back to the topic...and this is her thread.

Nevertheless, my apologies to her if my part has offended her.

No, I have no desire to start another thread.

I don't mind. 

Edited by BabeinChrist