• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you handle beggars?

• Members

A week or two ago, my hubby and I were in the city at a thrift store, and some guy came up to us inside the store asking for something like 68 cents for a bus ride I guess. He was by no means an invalid as he seemed to have this nervous energy walking around the place and asking other people for money too. My husband told him that he doesn't make a habit of giving out money, but we'd be glad to take him to the bus stop outside and pay for a bus ride for him. The guy rushed around in the store while waiting for us to leave, and then walked with us to our car. At this time he only asked for 20 cents, and then a few minutes later it was another small amount. It was clear that he didn't really want us to put him on the bus. My husband asked him if he had a job, and the man seemed almost taken aback like "who me?! - why would I want a job!?" Anyways, it ended up with us not giving him any money at all. I was so glad my husband was with me because I have no idea what I would have done by myself. I know now though that I won't ever be going to that area alone.

Anyways, how would you handle a situation like that? I felt bad for the man, not so much because he was seeming to need money, but rather because his life brought him to this point.

The Bible says to give to the needy, doesn't it? It's so hard to know who's really needy though. But then I wonder if we shouldn't just give and not concern ourselves with how the money is being used, but I don't know.

• Administrators

Phew - I wouldn't want to have that happen to me alone, that's for sure! I'm glad your hubby was there. You guys handled it the way we would have, I think. If he were really in need, he would've been glad to get your help onto the bus.

I know one time someone asked my hubby for money for something, and he offered to go with him to get it...the guy lost interest real quick.

We are to help the needy, but who is the needy? If someone can work but doesn't, the Bible says they aren't even to eat. Now, I wouldn't want to see someone starve, but if a person were forced to take care of the problem himself, I think he'd get a job. KWIM? That's where the welfare system has really hurt people - caused them to feel entitled to that check from the gubmint.

We have helped people who are truly needy by buying groceries, paying their rent, buying them clothing articles, etc. We have given money when needed, if we know the person will really spend it on things needed rather than alcohol or drugs. I'm sure most people have done the same thing.

Does this make sense without sounding stuffy?

• Members

How do you handle them? Pretty much what you did.......Offer them what they say they need.

Need money for the bus? Offer to pay the ticket.
Will work for food? Offer him a job
Need money for food? Offer to buy the food.
Need food for the baby? Take them down to he store, go to the babyfood aisle.

You will find out right quick if they're on the level.

• Members
Anyways, how would you handle a situation like that? I felt bad for the man, not so much because he was seeming to need money, but rather because his life brought him to this point.

The Bible says to give to the needy, doesn't it? It's so hard to know who's really needy though. But then I wonder if we shouldn't just give and not concern ourselves with how the money is being used, but I don't know.

Good question. (It doesn't say that exactly or as a stand-alone statement.)

Our church is located in the roughest part of our city and even last night after church, we had two different beggars come in asking for money for gas and rent and hospital bills. Another couple stopped, Bishop Carter and his wife Prophetess Carter, and they tried to diagnose the problem with one of the beggar's cars via the Holy Spirit. :loco (It isn't normally that bad, but we regularly have folks stopping by asking for all kinds of stuff. The majority are either drunk or high when they come in.)

We are careful to listen to each person and help the rare ones who have legitimate needs that can be helped by a handout. We give the gospel to each. We try to be compassionate, but giving a guy $5 so he can go across the street to a liquor store does nothing to help him, so we tend to shy away from giving cash. However, we will give out meals, take them to the gas station and pump them some gas, or take them someplace and try to be a help and encouragement.

• Members

Katie, your husband dealt with the situation exactly as he should have. Giving someone you don't know money is not a good idea - yes, we need to concern ourselves with what the money is being used for, otherwise we are not wise stewards.

If the guy gets 1/2 a buck or so from every person he runs into, and does that all day, he's got a lot of money to go blow on drugs or alcohol. If it is a legitimate need (for food or something else), then the person would be grateful even when you go out of your way to buy it. If the person says he wants it for coffee or a burger and weirds out when you offer to buy the burger yourself, then they are just showing that was the excuse they gave to fleece you of your money - and that they have no intent of buying a burger with the money you give them.

• Moderators

I stopped one day @ a light and a guy w/ a "will work for food" sign was there. I told him to hop in the truck, I'd feed him, work him and pay him $7.50/ hr for the day. He laughed and told me "I make more here in one day than you would pay all week". I offered one guy to take him to a buffet and he accused me of not being Christian enough to help (he said he needed money to eat on). I don't give money, if they don't want me to pay the kid's Rx, or the electric bill , etc. directly then they don't really want help.

• Members

I ignore them. Beggars are professional bums (with the emphasis on bums). If someone came to my door hungry, I would feed him and then witness to him. I would also help him get a job. But I would not give him any money. I believe that the homeless are the cause of their own misery.

• Members

Why is it that I've never seen a black....or any other ethnic group that I can recall, homeless person?....at least not in this neck of the woods. All the guys you see at the interstate ramp or walking by the highway are white guys. Why is that??
And I have only seen ONE homeless woman, who I gave some money to and took her to the next town. She was truly pitiful, walking down the highway carrying nothing but a plastic grocery sack.
Oh yeah, I first got my wife to go along with me.

Guest Guest

Matie-K...as others have mentioned, your hubby did the right thing. :thumb I have been approached by beggers all of my adult life. When I worked in the inner-city school system this was the norm. I always offered to buy them food, and no one ever took me up on that offer. Downtown Cleveland has turned into a haven for the "homeless" these days. :sad They walk all over the streets during to day with their paper cups begging for money. I always reply with the same reponse..."I will buy you some food." It always gets denied.

Our church supports the "City Mission" in Cleveland, OH. The homeless shelter for women and children is part of this ministry. We also have a homeless shelter near my church. The homeless come in the church, and we have them sit for a service, and then send them with a brown bag of food for the road from the kitchen. They know where to find the Gospel (whether they want it or not) and we give them the food they require in the process. We have never given them money to help support their habits. I think they have realized this by now. :wave: Also, we had a man that used to come on a regular basis to church. His name was Morris. He would greet people at the door :eek and, sit in the chair in our lobby acting like he was our pastor. I am laughing just thinking of him. :lol I hope he is alright, and somewhere where his needs can be met.

Guest Guest
Why is it that I've never seen a black....or any other ethnic group that I can recall' date=' homeless person?....[/quote']

If you come to Cleveland, OH...the homeless come in all colors. Also, I mentioned Morris in my post...he is a black man. I suppose it depends on where you live. :smile

• Members

Good posts all.

I did have a warning bell go off as I read your post mati-k. (My cop sense tingled) LOL. All the years of dealing with these issues professionally i guess. I have always felt a desire to be protective over people, espcially my brethern. (The over protective cop/preacher LOL)

The nervous habit and random amounts of change he asked for sounded like a mental issue or drugs (not saying it was, just sounds like it.) My suggestion is seek the Lord in each case. I agree with generally not giving money out, but paying for thier need. Those I have encountered who were hungry, I would buy them a meal. If they were really hungry they took it. If not they got mad and yelled at me. I could normally tell if they really needed help or not.

Another deputy and i used to have tracts and pocket bibles that we gave out on occasion. We got some funny looks but no one ever compained to the Sheriff about us.

• Members

I very rarely carry cash with me and always use my debit card so that takes care of the giving money to them. I do however buy them something nice to eat if I am ever asked. In one of the old cities I used to live in back east there was a boy about my age (early 20s) who was obviously malnourished and as I was walking to my bus to go home from work one day he asked me if I had any money for food. I politely apologized and told him I didn't carry any cash with me and he asked me if I could please just buy him a candy bar or something simple and cheap to eat. I felt awful and brought him down to the pizza shop down the street and told him to order anything and everything he wanted and I paid for it. He was so grateful for a couple slices of pizza and said I was the only person who cared enough to help him out when he was down like that. He told me so many people just assume he is cheap or a freeloader or a homeless druggy because he is asking for money or food but asking a complete stranger for food is the most humiliating thing he's ever had to do and it's even worse when people snub their noses at him. I will never forget what he taught me that day. I planned on bringing him some food and vitamins and what not but I never saw him again.

My theory behind giving people food or jobs or whatever they need is if they are really in need, then I want to be there to help them. If they are lying about it and I loose money or items from helping them then that is not my worry. I'd rather help someone who didn't need it then snub my nose at someone who did.

• Members
(slightly off-topic here' date=' but. . .) What area were you in, Katie? Elizabeth often takes the kids out to the different thrift stores around the twin cities.[/quote']
We were in St. Paul near the corner of University and Dale Avenues at what used to be the DAV thrift store but now is a Salvation Army one.