• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are There Any Catholics On Here?

• Moderators

John, why do you want to stay in the RCC? You have said yourself that it teaches serious false doctrines - doctrines that affect salvation itself. A person cannot be saved if they believe and follow the teachings of the RCC - they would be trusting in works, instead of Christ's finished work (once for all, accepted by grace through faith). You're right that RCC is not a cult - it is a false religion.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:21-23

• Members
19 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

The teaching to come out from among them means to separate. For you to continue as a member of the RCC and try to obtain membership in a Baptist church at the same time brings up several issues.

First, either you have not told this Baptist pastor that you intend to retain your membership in the RCC, or, if you have told him, he doesn't have the discernment he needs.

Second, RCC doctrine is diametrically opposed to traditional (biblical) Baptist beliefs, so for you to desire to retain membership in the RCC and be a member of a Baptist church, attending both services shows a lack of discernment and biblical knowledge on your part.

There are verses before "come out from among them"...2 Corinthians 6 is quite clear. Verses 14-17 state: 

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing..."

The RCC is unrighteous. It is built on idolatry. There is no concord (agreement) between Christ and the RCC.  

You will never grow in Christ if you spend time attending RCC services thinking you are attending a church that honors God.

Of course I did not make my Baptist pastor cognizant that I attend both the Catholic and Baptist Churches as it is none of his business. I don't like to discuss my beliefs that much with clergy. I am growing in Christ at that Baptist Church that I attend on Sunday mornings because I attend Adult Sunday School before worship, I fellowship with the congregation before worship and I am friends with half of the congregation. And I am very involved in various church activities at that Baptist Church from attending Adult Sunday School before worship to going to soup lunches and other meals after worship. Before I started attending that Baptist Church I was not that social and did not make friends easily. It is a lie that every Catholic doctrine is diametrically opposed to Biblical and Baptist doctrines as there are some biblical Catholic doctrines. And Catholics are not unbelievers since they worship Jesus as God. Unbelievers do not worship Jesus as God. Stating that 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 is required for salvation and entering Heaven is adding another requirement onto salvation.

• Members
27 minutes ago, Salyan said:

John, why do you want to stay in the RCC? You have said yourself that it teaches serious false doctrines - doctrines that affect salvation itself. A person cannot be saved if they believe and follow the teachings of the RCC - they would be trusting in works, instead of Christ's finished work (once for all, accepted by grace through faith). You're right that RCC is not a cult - it is a false religion.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:21-23

I wish to remain in the Catholic Church because I was raised Catholic and I like the liturgical worship. I also like the non liturgical worship of the Baptist Church. I wish to be both Catholic and Baptist.

• Members
18 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I have to agree with Invicta and Happy: the Bible is very clear that the followers of Christ are supposed to come out of false religions, and the Catholic organization, (I won't call it a church), is an idolatrous cult, whether you personall adhere to it or not. The offices of Pope, Bishop and priest, as the Catholics define them, are completely unscriptural; their baptism is unscriptural, as it the Lutheran's; their Table is a table of devils, not of God; their core teachings of mariolatry, adoration of saints and church-established sainthood are an abomination; their very long history or sanctioning the murder of those who disagree with them is an affront to ANY believer; their pedobaptism gives a false hope to many of some sort of salvation; and their insistence that to go to heaven one must be a practicing Catholic is taking the place of the work of Christ.

frankly, there is not ONE good thing about the Catholic institution: they labored for centuries to deny man the word of God, murdering those who dared translate it to the vulgar tongue, or who dared own one of them. Tell me, what good is there in such a wicked and ungodly organization? Come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord... 

It is false that every Catholic doctrine is unscriptural. There are scriptural Catholic doctrines and scriptural parts of the Mass. The Catholic Church worships the biblical and historical Jesus as God. If a Catholic who is Born Again by reason of having given their life to Christ and they trust entirely in Jesus alone for salvation and they attend both the Catholic and Baptist Churches than they are saved and will enter Heaven when they pass away. Isn't it good enough that I attend a Baptist Church on Sunday mornings without ceasing attending the Catholic Church on Saturdays? It is not required for salvation for one who gave their life to Christ to entirely leave the Catholic Church and only attend a Baptist Church.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, John Yurich said:

It is false that every Catholic doctrine is unscriptural. There are scriptural Catholic doctrines and scriptural parts of the Mass. The Catholic Church worships the biblical and historical Jesus as God. If a Catholic who is Born Again by reason of having given their life to Christ and they trust entirely in Jesus alone for salvation and they attend both the Catholic and Baptist Churches than they are saved and will enter Heaven when they pass away. Isn't it good enough that I attend a Baptist Church on Sunday mornings without ceasing attending the Catholic Church on Saturdays? It is not required for salvation for one who gave their life to Christ to entirely leave the Catholic Church and only attend a Baptist Church.

Incorrect: the RCC worship[s a Jesus that is subservient to his mother-that is NOT the Jesus of the Bible. They worship a Jesus who abdicates his authority and power to a pope and priests. They worship a Jesus who is brought down by the priests in every congregation each week, or as often as they choose, to be crucified anew in an unbloody sacrifice, because His once for all sacrirfice is not, apparently, sufficient. They worship a Jesus who did not fully provide salvation for all at the cross, by grace through faith. Their Jesus is a false idol, a skinny, effeminate mama's boy always dying on a cross. And you need to repent and get out of their doctrine and their idolatry. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump, and it sounds like their wicked, Nicolaitan leaven as you duped.

It is bad enough when a believer accepts a little leaven, you're willingly remaining in the most corrupt bastardization of christianity that has ever existed.

• Members
5 hours ago, Salyan said:

I can understand the pull toward what is familiar, and the desire to remain in one's heritage. It is incredibly difficult to give up something that has been part of your life for so long. The problem is that you really cannot be both a Catholic and a Baptist. If I was a betting person, I would be willing to bet that neither your Catholic priest nor Baptist pastor would allow you to remain in good standing as a member in either congregation. If you told them you'd joined (or remained in) the other church, they'd be likely to remove your membership in theirs!

But we digress. The (much more important) issue here is whether a born again Christian should remain in the Catholic denomination. The RCC does retain some orthodox doctrines (one God, Jesus as God, etc.), and there are sincere individuals who identify as Catholic who truly believe Jesus is God and desire to serve Him. It takes more than just an acknowledgement that Jesus is God - more than a belief in a single God - to be a Believer, however - to be saved. James 2:19 tells us "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: he devils also believe, and tremble..."...but the devils are not believers in Christ. Neither are humans who, no matter how well-intentioned, have not come to God as He has directed - by faith alone, trusting in His grace alone in Christ's finished work on the cross.

The RCC organization denies Christ's finished work on the cross, teaching instead the false doctrine of the perpetual sacrifice of the mass. They lift Mary (Queen of Heaven - that's a false goddess in the Bible!) up as co-Mediatrix with Christ, in opposition to the Bible which states that "there is one man and one mediator between God & man... Christ Jesus." They repudiate the clear teaching of grace alone, through faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9), and add a works requirement to salvation (Romans 3:20).  In the Council of Trent, the defining doctrinal council of the RCC, which was reinforced by Vatican II, they have damned those who have trusted Christ alone in obedience to the Bible. Take a look at this list: https://carm.org/council-trent-canons-justification  That means that if you have trusted Christ alone, by grace through faith, for salvation, the RCC has condemned you. By their own teachings, you cannot be a Catholic and a born-again Christian.

The fact that the RCC gets some things right, in no way excuses the fact that they get the most important things wrong. How many sincere people that desired to know and serve God have been led to an eternity in hell because of the RCC teachings?  Such an organization is no place for a Bible-believer to be. This is not a matter of salvation. This is a matter of obedience to God's word. Think of the blasphemous teachings that are perpetrated through the Mass - can you truly bear to be present, and to be silent, knowing how many people are being led astray through this liturgy? Will not your presence encourage others to stay, or to come, and possibly lead to them being led astray as well?

John, if you will be patient with me a bit longer, something you said concerns me. You replied to HappyChristian that you knew you were growing in Christ because you attended Baptist services, fellowshipped with people, and were involved in the ministries. As we grow we will, yes, desire to serve God - desire to be at church to hear His Word - and desire to fellowship with other believers. And these things are good.  The activities themselves, however, are not growth - but merely the evidence of it.  Our growth is internal - a love for Christ, a love for His Word, a desire to spend time with Him in prayer & the Word, the desire to obey Him in personal obedience and ministry to others, the desire to share the truth with others, and an abhorrence for false doctrine. You've come from a background that emphasizes works. Some of us (myself included) also have a natural tendency to prioritize works over the internal fellowship with Christ. Please be careful not to allow works to define your relationship with Christ. It is by faith we come to Him, and by faith we grow.  All our own righteousnesses, done in our own strength, are as filthy rags to Him. That verse applies not only to salvation, but also to our service after salvation.

I truly hope that it does not seem to you that we are 'piling on' you here. That is not our intent. We are truly and greatly concerned for you, and desire to see you grow in Christ.

You have a point about a born again believer not remaining in the roman catholic church. However, many do just that. Will they lose their salvation? No, but they probably won't grow much spiritually.

Some people, like Catholics, Mormons, etc get saved but choose to remain in that church for the sake of witnessing to others. I believe that's what the apostle Paul did. He would visit synagogues for the purpose of winning over the Jews.

The interesting thing is, Billy Graham would tell folks who came up front to receive Christ as Savior,  to go back to their churches. Why? Who knows.

Edited by TheSword1227

• Members
5 hours ago, John Yurich said:

But what happens when one mixes falsehoods with truths? A little leaven leavens the whole lump. False teaching is like a little yeast that spreads to the whole batch.

• Members
43 minutes ago, TheSword1227 said:

The interesting thing is, Billy Graham would tell folks who came up front to receive Christ as Savior,  to go back to their churches. Why? Who knows.

He was in grave error in this.  The vast majority who went to the front were not saved.  BG himself recognised that and stopped calling them converts and just called them "enquirers.".

Christians throughout the dark ages avoided the RCC, partly because of the mass, but also of their heretical teaching of baptismal regeneration as well as other false teachings.  The Waldensians claimed their separation from Rome from the time when Sylvester was Bishop of Rome.  They were not known by that name at the time but were given many other names, but for about 1,100, or so years they kept their witness against all the errors of Rome while standing firm in face of many attrocities inflicted on them by Rome.  About 40-50 years before the refprmation, the accepted the mass, agreeing to attend once a year. They were no longer considered witnesses by Rome.

Rome has murdered millions of Christians throughout the ages, but says she doesn't persecute saints, only heretics and she has the perfect right to do that, and given the power she would do it again.  

If you attend mass you cannot be a witnessing Baptist. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, Invicta said:

He was in grave error in this.  The vast majority who went to the front were not saved.  BG himself recognised that and stopped calling them converts and just called them "enquirers.".

Christians throughout the dark ages avoided the RCC, partly because of the mass, but also of their heretical teaching of baptismal regeneration as well as other false teachings.  The Waldensians claimed their separation from Rome from the time when Sylvester was Bishop of Rome.  They were not known by that name at the time but were given many other names, but for about 1,100, or so years they kept their witness against all the errors of Rome while standing firm in face of many attrocities inflicted on them by Rome.  About 40-50 years before the refprmation, the accepted the mass, agreeing to attend once a year. They were no longer considered witnesses by Rome.

Rome has murdered millions of Christians throughout the ages, but says she doesn't persecute saints, only heretics and she has the perfect right to do that, and given the power she would do it again.  

If you attend mass you cannot be a witnessing Baptist. 

I agree. Good post.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, John Yurich said:

Of course I did not make my Baptist pastor cognizant that I attend both the Catholic and Baptist Churches as it is none of his business. I don't like to discuss my beliefs that much with clergy. I am growing in Christ at that Baptist Church that I attend on Sunday mornings because I attend Adult Sunday School before worship, I fellowship with the congregation before worship and I am friends with half of the congregation. And I am very involved in various church activities at that Baptist Church from attending Adult Sunday School before worship to going to soup lunches and other meals after worship. Before I started attending that Baptist Church I was not that social and did not make friends easily. It is a lie that every Catholic doctrine is diametrically opposed to Biblical and Baptist doctrines as there are some biblical Catholic doctrines. And Catholics are not unbelievers since they worship Jesus as God. Unbelievers do not worship Jesus as God. Stating that 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 is required for salvation and entering Heaven is adding another requirement onto salvation.

Well, John, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your remaining a member of the RCC is most definitely the Baptist pastor's business (just as it is the RCC priest's business that you are trying to also join the Baptist church). A pastor is an undershepherd. He is to feed, lead, and protect his flock, under the authority of the Chief Shepherd, who is Christ. To join a church is to align with the belief systems of that church, in covenant with other members to follow the tenets of that church. It is unethical at best to try to become a member in two different churches without informing the leaders of the churches.

Catholic doctrine most definitely is opposed to biblical and Baptist doctrine.  I never stated that 2Cor. 6:14-18 had anything to do with salvation. As I explained, it is teaching separation. The Catholic church teaches that salvation is in that church, no matter what else they might say about Christ.  When another being is put in any way equal to Christ (Mary, who is claimed to be co-redemptrix; saints to whom people pray for things - Christopher for traveling mercies, Anthony for finding lost things, etc), Christ is not being worshiped as God.  

Truth + falsehood = falsehood.  Just as Pure water + arsenic = non drinkable water.

• Members
15 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Well, John, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your remaining a member of the RCC is most definitely the Baptist pastor's business (just as it is the RCC priest's business that you are trying to also join the Baptist church). A pastor is an undershepherd. He is to feed, lead, and protect his flock, under the authority of the Chief Shepherd, who is Christ. To join a church is to align with the belief systems of that church, in covenant with other members to follow the tenets of that church. It is unethical at best to try to become a member in two different churches without informing the leaders of the churches.

Catholic doctrine most definitely is opposed to biblical and Baptist doctrine.  I never stated that 2Cor. 6:14-18 had anything to do with salvation. As I explained, it is teaching separation. The Catholic church teaches that salvation is in that church, no matter what else they might say about Christ.  When another being is put in any way equal to Christ (Mary, who is claimed to be co-redemptrix; saints to whom people pray for things - Christopher for traveling mercies, Anthony for finding lost things, etc), Christ is not being worshiped as God.  

Truth + falsehood = falsehood.  Just as Pure water + arsenic = non drinkable water.

I am following the tenets of that Baptist church I attend on Sunday mornings. I am not comfortable telling my beliefs to any clergy whether Catholic or Baptist or any other Protestant clergy as I am a very private individual. At that Baptist church I attend on Sunday mornings there is a married couple who attend and are members of both the local Catholic parish and that Baptist church. There are also other members of that Baptist church who also attend and are members of that Baptist church and some other Protestant Church.

18 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Incorrect: the RCC worship[s a Jesus that is subservient to his mother-that is NOT the Jesus of the Bible. They worship a Jesus who abdicates his authority and power to a pope and priests. They worship a Jesus who is brought down by the priests in every congregation each week, or as often as they choose, to be crucified anew in an unbloody sacrifice, because His once for all sacrirfice is not, apparently, sufficient. They worship a Jesus who did not fully provide salvation for all at the cross, by grace through faith. Their Jesus is a false idol, a skinny, effeminate mama's boy always dying on a cross. And you need to repent and get out of their doctrine and their idolatry. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump, and it sounds like their wicked, Nicolaitan leaven as you duped.

It is bad enough when a believer accepts a little leaven, you're willingly remaining in the most corrupt bastardization of christianity that has ever existed.

The Apostles and Nicene Creeds state "We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God". Does that sound like a different Jesus? That is the biblical and historical Jesus mentioned in the Apostles and Nicene Creeds that the Catholic Church worships.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, John Yurich said:

I am following the tenets of that Baptist church I attend on Sunday mornings. I am not comfortable telling my beliefs to any clergy whether Catholic or Baptist or any other Protestant clergy as I am a very private individual. At that Baptist church I attend on Sunday mornings there is a married couple who attend and are members of both the local Catholic parish and that Baptist church. There are also other members of that Baptist church who also attend and are members of that Baptist church and some other Protestant Church.

If that Baptist church looks the other way as folks who are members of another church - whatever the denomination - join, it is not a biblical Baptist church. I'm sorry, but you cannot be yoked up with a church that prays to icons (completely disregarding the Bible), puts the human vessel who carried the Son of God on an equal plane with that Son of God, teaches that a fallible man (the priest) can absolve sins - if certain acts are followed - etc., etc, and a Baptist church that is following the Bible. THAT is where the NT commands to be separate come in.

And, BTW, Baptist are not Protestant. They were never part of the RCC to begin with. We've already discussed that point, remember?  So "other" Protestant church is a misnomer.

Being upfront with the pastor about retaining your membership in the RCC is not telling your beliefs to him. It's being honest about your intents. As the undershepherd of that church, he is responsible to protect the flock. And it is completely his business to know that you still align and defend the tenets of the RCC. You could become a wolf in his flock otherwise, as you will most definitely share your beliefs with other members, whether you think you will or not (the fact that you already know that others are members elsewhere as well as that church is proof that you've discussed this with at least one person...).

• Members
18 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

If that Baptist church looks the other way as folks who are members of another church - whatever the denomination - join, it is not a biblical Baptist church. I'm sorry, but you cannot be yoked up with a church that prays to icons (completely disregarding the Bible), puts the human vessel who carried the Son of God on an equal plane with that Son of God, teaches that a fallible man (the priest) can absolve sins - if certain acts are followed - etc., etc, and a Baptist church that is following the Bible. THAT is where the NT commands to be separate come in.

And, BTW, Baptist are not Protestant. They were never part of the RCC to begin with. We've already discussed that point, remember?  So "other" Protestant church is a misnomer.

Being upfront with the pastor about retaining your membership in the RCC is not telling your beliefs to him. It's being honest about your intents. As the undershepherd of that church, he is responsible to protect the flock. And it is completely his business to know that you still align and defend the tenets of the RCC. You could become a wolf in his flock otherwise, as you will most definitely share your beliefs with other members, whether you think you will or not (the fact that you already know that others are members elsewhere as well as that church is proof that you've discussed this with at least one person...).

Here is the website address for that Baptist church I attend on Sunday mornings: rolchastings.org to look up their Statement of Faith and other information to prove that they are a biblical Baptist church. I have not and will not share my beliefs with any of the church members of River of Life Church(where I attend on Sunday mornings). I know that other members attend elsewhere as well as at River of Life Church is because I heard one lady state that she attends River of Life Church on Saturday Night Service and then attends another church on Sunday morning and because in the church directory that married couple who attend and are members of both the local Catholic parish and River of Life Church are listed as being members of River of Life Church. I do not defend the unscriptural Catholic doctrines and unscriptural parts of the Mass. I only defend the scriptural Catholic doctrines and scriptural parts of the Mass.

• Administrators

There is nothing scriptural about the Catholic church. You can protest all day long that there is, but one of two things: you are very unlearned in scripture, or you are spoofing us.

River of Life may have begun as a Baptist church, but it has done what far too many churches have: they've joined the emergent church movement. This is likely why you are comfortable in both the RCC and this church.