• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the KJVO "movement" dying?

• Members

The Holy Spirit burdens our hearts to unite with the right church.  Not only do we learn in and grow in grace but we also contribute to that church, bringing with us special God-given gifts that are a blessing to all the saints, including the pastor.  None of them are perfect of course and will be less so when you unite with one.  If Gospel light is where the Lord wants, you, go there and unite with them.  Learn to love story time with Brother Bobby.  Someday, you may be called to pastor that church but be careful of moving the ancient landmarks.  

• Members
58 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The Holy Spirit burdens our hearts to unite with the right church.  Not only do we learn in and grow in grace but we also contribute to that church, bringing with us special God-given gifts that are a blessing to all the saints, including the pastor.  None of them are perfect of course and will be less so when you unite with one.  If Gospel light is where the Lord wants, you, go there and unite with them.  Learn to love story time with Brother Bobby.  Someday, you may be called to pastor that church but be careful of moving the ancient landmarks.  

No Christian should settle for "Story Time". It is not preaching, which is what Preachers are called to do.

• Members

swathdriver - Btw, not trying to be critical, but it is this very acceptance of bad preaching that our IFB churches are dying. If I can go to a liberal non-denom church and get better preaching than an IFB church, we have succumbed to the Laodicean Church age.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastorj said:

swathdriver - Btw, not trying to be critical, but it is this very acceptance of bad preaching that our IFB churches are dying. If I can go to a liberal non-denom church and get better preaching than an IFB church, we have succumbed to the Laodicean Church age.

You keep saying that "IFB churches are dying". 

I know there are churches closing and opening all the time, but the reason some IFB churches are dying is more often than not laziness on the part of Pastors, or scandal of some sort.

But in reality, IFB churches are not dying. Not generally.

In fact, in my area we are seeing more and more people turn from rock n roll compromise churches and looking for KJV, Bible preaching, hymn singing churches.

I guess I just don't agree with the generalisation.....

Edited by DaveW
Phone spelling

• Members
15 hours ago, DaveW said:

You keep saying that "IFB churches are dying". 

I know there are churches closing and opening all the time, but the reason some IFB churches are dying is more often than not laziness on the part of Pastors, or scandal of some sort.

But in reality, IFB churches are not dying. Not generally.

In fact, in my area we are seeing more and more people turn from rock n roll compromise churches and looking for KJV, Bible preaching, hymn singing churches.

I guess I just don't agree with the generalisation.....

DaveW - The topic of this thread is "Is the KJVO Movement dying". Since this is tied to IFB, I have added that I believe IFB churches are dying for a number of reasons.

1. In the Bible belt where there are 100's of churches and unfortunately the vast majority either no longer or never preached the Word of God, I count those dead. They may have lots of people, but when God's Word is not faithfully preached, the church has no value.
2. The majority of churches that do preach the Word of God have no life in them. Though the preaching is good, the people don't care. They don't care about visitors, they don't respond to the preaching, the church is just withering away. In 20 years, everyone will have passed and the church will be gone.

Now, I know that is a lot of generalization, but the reality is that the number of good churches has declined significantly in the last 20 years. For every 1 church that opens its doors, 10 churches close and that was in 2007.

How do we prevent this from happening
1. Pastors need to stop the entertaining speeches and get back to Preaching the Word of God. It is the Word of God that impacts lives.
2. People need to stop being self centered and start caring about other Christians and the lost.

Churches need to get back to being churches instead of being Sunday entertainment.

• Members
9 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

can you distinguish between the two and explain each position?

KJVO - King James Version Only - This position holds to the KJV being the Inspired Word of God, either through Preservation (Biblical) or through re-inspiration (Ruckmanite - Not Biblical)
1. A KJVO individual believes that the KJV is the only version that English speaking individuals should ever use. They reject all modern translations and any future modern translations.
2. Extremists in this position will also say that the KJV should be used to translate the Bible into other languages.
3. Even further to the extreme, there are some in this camp that believe that if you are not saved from a KJV, they you are not saved as the KJV is the only version which is the Word of God and saves people.

OKJV - Only King James Version - This position also holds to the KJV being the inspired Word of God, but would completely reject the Ruckmanite position of re-inspiration.
1. The KJV is inspired through Preservation as promised in Scripture. Inspiration was only in the original manuscripts, but the KJV can be considered the "Inspired Word of God" because of Preservation
2. The OKJV individual is open to a future modern translation as long as that translation meets the same criteria of the KJV. (Probably never going to happen, but they are open to it). The reason it won't happen is because those that are qualified to actually do the translation are not willing and those that are willing, are not capable.

Though the average KJVO and OKJV are basically the same in their position, the willingness for God to continue his preservation in a new translation is not acceptable to the KJVO group.

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastorj said:

KJVO - King James Version Only - This position holds to the KJV being the Inspired Word of God, either through Preservation (Biblical) or through re-inspiration (Ruckmanite - Not Biblical)
1. A KJVO individual believes that the KJV is the only version that English speaking individuals should ever use. They reject all modern translations and any future modern translations.
2. Extremists in this position will also say that the KJV should be used to translate the Bible into other languages.
3. Even further to the extreme, there are some in this camp that believe that if you are not saved from a KJV, they you are not saved as the KJV is the only version which is the Word of God and saves people.

OKJV - Only King James Version - This position also holds to the KJV being the inspired Word of God, but would completely reject the Ruckmanite position of re-inspiration.
1. The KJV is inspired through Preservation as promised in Scripture. Inspiration was only in the original manuscripts, but the KJV can be considered the "Inspired Word of God" because of Preservation
2. The OKJV individual is open to a future modern translation as long as that translation meets the same criteria of the KJV. (Probably never going to happen, but they are open to it). The reason it won't happen is because those that are qualified to actually do the translation are not willing and those that are willing, are not capable.

Though the average KJVO and OKJV are basically the same in their position, the willingness for God to continue his preservation in a new translation is not acceptable to the KJVO group.

Another difference between the KJVO position and the OKJV position would be their differing viewpoint concerning Bible study through the use of the original languages, Hebrew and Greek.  Those of the KJVO position would view it as a major negative (maybe even, a sinful negative); those of the OKJV position would view it as a useful positive.

In addition, those of the OKJV position will often indicate that what they really are is MTO (Massoretic Text Only) for the Hebrew of the Old Testament & TRO (Textus Receptus Only; Received Text Only) for the Greek of the New Testament.  

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

Pastorj, I am not suggesting you settle at all.  I am suggesting that if the Holy Spirit leads you to that church, unite with it.  Your gifts and influence may change the ways of the preacher or lead to a change in who stands in the pulpit.  Again, this is the work of the Holy Ghost through the hearts of submissive and humbled men.  

• Members
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, swathdiver said:

Pastorj, I am not suggesting you settle at all.  I am suggesting that if the Holy Spirit leads you to that church, unite with it.  Your gifts and influence may change the ways of the preacher or lead to a change in who stands in the pulpit.  Again, this is the work of the Holy Ghost through the hearts of submissive and humbled men.  

swathdriver - I did not intend to argue about this with you, but this is unfortunately the mentality that has gotten our IFB churches to where they are today. The Holy Spirit would never lead any Christian to a church where there is no preaching,. The vast majority of Christians are not being led by the Holy Spirit, they are being led by their emotions and entertainment value. They go to a church and leave happy so that must mean the Holy Spirit is leading them there. Christians should go to church to be edified, reproved and rebuked by the Word of God. If the Word of God is not preached, all you did was get entertained.

My gifts and influence will not change the ways of a "yeller or story teller". I will not refer to them as preachers as they do not "Preach".

People need to hold the Pastor to a Biblical level and mandate that he "Preaches". It's a sad state of America that we are missing this in our churches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Weary Warrior - You are absolutely correct. Churches stopped training young men and started relying on schools like BJU, PCC, Crown and a few others. Though I like these institutions, they do not train young men to pastor churches. The young men come out completely clueless and usually have no basis of the Bible. I encourage young men to go to "Preacher Schools" like New England Baptist College, or other church run schools out there.

Independent Baptist Churches need to get back to what made them - The Word of God!

• Members

I think the problem is much more basic and systemic than this. Never mind the perceived state of these institutions because none are Scriptural.

The entire practice of higher learning institutions in which "young" men are trained to "pastor other" churches came from the RCC and later mimicked by protestant denominations. Not one jot nor tittle is Scriptural IMO.