• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Offline King James Bible Search Application

• Members

I have developed a free, open source Offline King James Bible Search application.

No charge. No ads. Just KJV.

Once downloaded, it provides full functionality, even when no internet connection is available.

By selecting 'Add to home screen' on your Android or iOS device, the application mimics a native application.

There are two versions:

* Android/Windows/Linux; any platform with the latest version of Google Chrome (or Mozilla Firefox).

Description: https://github.com/claytoncarney/offline-kjv#readme
    Download:     https://claytoncarney.github.io/offline-kjv/

* iOS 10+ (iPhone/iPad).

Description: https://github.com/claytoncarney/offline-kjv-ios#readme
    Download:     https://claytoncarney.github.io/offline-kjv-ios/

I welcome your comments and suggestions...

God Bless,

Clayton

• Members

Thank you for our effort in developing an open source King James Bible Search application.

I noticed that the search application included Linux. That was very thoughtful of you and we appreciative the extra effort. A couple of us use Linux and I am sure it will be a blessing to those who download the application. As I am fairly new to Linux, I have no suggestions or comments. I will be just happy if I can download it correctly.

Also, welcome to OnLine Baptist. All of us enjoy meeting new friends.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Greetings Alan,

Installation is simply opening the download link in a supported browser (the latest version of Chrome, Chromium, or Firefox). The application is cached and available for use, even if no internet connection is available.

If you encounter any problems, let me know and we'll walk through it...

Clayton

• Members
On 6/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, claytoncarney said:

I have developed a free, open source Offline King James Bible Search application.

No charge. No ads. Just KJV.

I welcome your comments and suggestions...

God Bless,

Clayton

First...welcome to OB! 

Comments:

I tried it with Firefox...very nice! Great job! 

I briefly tried the search function, and it worked well.

I pray the Lord blesses you for your efforts.

Question:

To work offline, does one merely bookmark the page and use it in the browser? 

Suggestions:

This is just a personal preference of mine...perhaps a fixed menu on one side of the page (or a drop-down menu) that's accessible from the page a user is currently reading which would allow them to quickly choose a different book and chapter.

Again, that's just a personal preference, and you can't please everyone. The way it is currently set up is absolutely great. :)

Well done! 

• Members

Greetings No Nicolaitans,

To work offline, does one merely bookmark the page and use it in the browser? Yes. Once the app is downloaded, all the files are cached (stored) locally. Except for app updates, no internet connection is required to use the app.

I'm having difficulty visualizing your suggestion (or at least understanding how it is significantly different from the present user interface).

A bit of background: the app was originally designed for mobile devices (I always had my Android tablet at locations without public internet access). I chose the iPhone 5 (320 pixel wide screen) as my entry level device. This does somewhat limit simple options for the user interface.

Clayton

• Members
2 hours ago, claytoncarney said:

Greetings No Nicolaitans,

To work offline, does one merely bookmark the page and use it in the browser? Yes. Once the app is downloaded, all the files are cached (stored) locally. Except for app updates, no internet connection is required to use the app.

I'm having difficulty visualizing your suggestion (or at least understanding how it is significantly different from the present user interface).

A bit of background: the app was originally designed for mobile devices (I always had my Android tablet at locations without public internet access). I chose the iPhone 5 (320 pixel wide screen) as my entry level device. This does somewhat limit simple options for the user interface.

Clayton

Yes...now that I think about it being cross platform, it's not feasible. I was speaking from a computer user's point of view rather than a mobile user. I was speaking of how the app has two columns of biblical text on a computer (probably just one column on an Android? I don't use Chrome or Firefox on my Android, so I can't test it there). I was imagining it having a third column for a book/chapter menu on the same page as the biblical text. Like I said, I realize that's not really feasible now. Just write me off as a kook...

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

Thanks for clarifying your suggestion. I think I understand now. Combine the Contents and Read Pages; say Contents on the left third and Read on the right two-thirds. Move the Read navigation to the bottom of Contents, thus eliminating the need for the Contents button. Definitely reduces screen changes for reading.

Mobile-First design principles do encourage sometimes radically different layouts based on available space (and yes, on small mobile platforms, bible text is a single column). I'll look into it: it might be a straightforward change. It does appear (at least on this forum) that the app could have more desktop users than mobile. Had not anticipated that...

• Members

Yes, that's what I was getting at. However, don't go to extra trouble over my (one person's) input. I know a little about coding, and I can't imagine what it takes for something like this...

Your app makes it very easy and convenient for copying and pasting scripture in situations like what we do here on a forum. :)

It's much quicker to simply open the Bible in another tab of an already open browser...than to open another application in order to do the same thing. 

Again I say, "Well done, and thank you."