• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Administrators

When we moved here, we were kind of in that situation. There is a church in town that is KJB. But, sadly, water under the bridge with my folks and the pastor precluded our attending there. We traveled over 30 minutes (not far, I know) to the church my parents joined in 2008. The pastor had gone to glory, and so there were visiting men preaching. My husband was asked to preach only once: when the guest speaker took ill on Sunday morning. 

That particular guest preacher began heavily correcting the Bible. Because, you know, he's more intelligent than the entire group of translators were. It was getting my hubs more and more upset (me, too, but he's the decider). Then there was a situation in which worldliness was accepted in the church, and when my husband tried to deal with it, things got weird. It all stemmed from the pastor's widow actually functioning as pastor (without preaching).

So we left there and visited a church that was actually about 10 minutes closer. They were also without a pastor. But this was clearly where God wants us - my husband has been pastor there for over a year now. Still spiritual growth needed, but we see it weekly. And physical growth is beginning.

Celina, I don't know how far those churches are from you, and I know travel there is much harder there in the Philippines. But traveling is sometimes a necessary thing.

And swath is correct: Baptists were never part of the RCC and so are not protestant. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

In the small town my church is in (population 7,500) there is a large SBC church by our towns standards, Large building and large congregation. Something strange has happened to this church recently. I don't know any of the members so can't ask about this.

It seemed like all of a sudden their sign changed, it used to say First Southern Baptist Church. The change now reads: Cross Point Community Church. Then, at the very bottom right corned of the sign, in very small print the text says sbc in lower case.

I am left wondering if this is a Community Church takeover or if it is something new that the SBC is implementing now. I post this here  to see if anyone else has seen anything like what I described in their area, or knows anything about other SBC churches that have gone this way.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Someone mentioned an IFB church handing out their Doctrinal Statement of Faith to Newcomers to the church so they could get familiarized with their beliefs. I suppose it would be several pages in length. One of the church members referred to all denominational churches as wood, hay, stubble; while his church was built on gold, silver, and precious stones. 

Edited by (Omega)
Grammar and Punctuation

• Members
On 5/16/2018 at 6:01 AM, TheSword1227 said:

Not to offend anyone, but personally I think It's silly to have so many different Baptist churches. Is this what God would want?

It's an evil.  God never intended for there to be such factions.  Along a similar vein, President George Washington said that political parties are an evil too.  Both are right.

I went to a Yankee church once and they welcomed us with open arms and knew the south was right too!  LOL  Being in Florida, we have lots of Yankees fleeing the north and our local church welcomes them all warmly and encourages them to come back.  I am so thankful that the Lord lead us to Liberty.  It's truly an amazing experience being part of a New Testament Church, brings tears to my eyes thinking about the saints and my pastor while writing this.  

• Members
5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

It's an evil.  God never intended for there to be such factions.  Along a similar vein, President George Washington said that political parties are an evil too.  Both are right.

I went to a Yankee church once and they welcomed us with open arms and knew the south was right too!  LOL  Being in Florida, we have lots of Yankees fleeing the north and our local church welcomes them all warmly and encourages them to come back.  I am so thankful that the Lord lead us to Liberty.  It's truly an amazing experience being part of a New Testament Church, brings tears to my eyes thinking about the saints and my pastor while writing this.  

Yep, those Yankee defectors have been coming down here a long time.....I married one. 

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I thought only Bible colleges majored on teaching doctrine?? 

Is there a trusted site that teaches doctrine correctly ?

What is our Baptist stance on Repentance? I thought repentance was a pretty simple word until I’ve heard it defined so many ways. Most gospel tracts and verbal invitations do not use repentance. when I turned to the Lord I was turning away from my own way. So the idea of repentance made sense to me then by my experience. But who am I to say? 

I visited a southern baptist church once and they taught on Biblical church discipline, the only time I’ve ever heard it taught. 

The lack of doctrinal teaching I think is causing a generation of people that don’t know what they believe. 

What is a worldly church to you? What is a problem in a church with standards? Why does it matter if the walls are white or grey or black? White lights or colored? Tie or no tie? Jazzy sounds, blues, or beats or bass? What do you think of CCM music in the church put to piano so it doesn’t appear to be CCM? Do these things matter for doctrine? I have a very traditional view in these regards that comes from how i feel in my spirit and what i experienced when I got saved. The traditional view seems looked down upon or hushed. Not taught in church. 

Also separation seems like it is being pushed away from the church as a toxin. How do you stand doctrinally on separation? And how are the lines drawn?

I’ve never heard Calvinism explained in church. I’ve heard dispensation used in context but not really explained as of the word. I thought people were saved by faith? The sacrifices were a picture of Christ with faith that the Messiah would come. No? And also there seems to be a general pushing away from the OT. 

Humbly asking.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dailywalk said:

I thought only Bible colleges majored on teaching doctrine?? 

Is there a trusted site that teaches doctrine correctly ?

What is our Baptist stance on Repentance? I thought repentance was a pretty simple word until I’ve heard it defined so many ways. Most gospel tracts and verbal invitations do not use repentance. when I turned to the Lord I was turning away from my own way. So the idea of repentance made sense to me then by my experience. But who am I to say? 

I visited a southern baptist church once and they taught on Biblical church discipline, the only time I’ve ever heard it taught. 

The lack of doctrinal teaching I think is causing a generation of people that don’t know what they believe. 

What is a worldly church to you? What is a problem in a church with standards? Why does it matter if the walls are white or grey or black? White lights or colored? Tie or no tie? Jazzy sounds, blues, or beats or bass? What do you think of CCM music in the church put to piano so it doesn’t appear to be CCM? Do these things matter for doctrine? I have a very traditional view in these regards that comes from how i feel in my spirit and what i experienced when I got saved. The traditional view seems looked down upon or hushed. Not taught in church. 

Also separation seems like it is being pushed away from the church as a toxin. How do you stand doctrinally on separation? And how are the lines drawn?

I’ve never heard Calvinism explained in church. I’ve heard dispensation used in context but not really explained as of the word. I thought people were saved by faith? The sacrifices were a picture of Christ with faith that the Messiah would come. No? And also there seems to be a general pushing away from the OT. 

Humbly asking.

Hi, DailyWalk

That's an awful lot of questions there! Which is a good thing... but it's going to be hard to answer them all in one thread. How about you break these up a bit and start several posts, each on one of the above topics? I think it'll help the discussion be a bit more clear and helpful. ?

• Members
8 hours ago, Dailywalk said:

Welcome to OnLineBaptist!

I think as you read more of the studies here on OnLineBaptist, and the discussions on the various subjects, you will, hopefully, discover that most of the folks here know what they believe, why they believe it,and are doctrinaly correct in their beliefs. Also, most of the folks here on OnLineBaptist practice what they preach.

Looking forward to your participation in the studies.

My wife just dropped in to say Hello!

Alan and the Mrs.

• Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Hi, DailyWalk

That's an awful lot of questions there! Which is a good thing... but it's going to be hard to answer them all in one thread. How about you break these up a bit and start several posts, each on one of the above topics? I think it'll help the discussion be a bit more clear and helpful. ?

You are right, Salyan. It makes me laugh now to consider it. Thank you 

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

Welcome to OnLineBaptist!

I think as you read more of the studies here on OnLineBaptist, and the discussions on the various subjects, you will, hopefully, discover that most of the folks here know what they believe, why they believe it,and are doctrinaly correct in their beliefs. Also, most of the folks here on OnLineBaptist practice what they preach.

Looking forward to your participation in the studies.

My wife just dropped in to say Hello!

Alan and the Mrs.

Thank you and nice to meet you Mr. & Mrs. Alan. I definitely enjoy studying!! I was sure by the comments that everyone on here knows what they believe, thus all the questions lol; but I should probably slow down. Thank you again