• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Video recording services.

• Members

Let me preface this by saying that I don't like the idea of videoing my preaching, and I certainly am not interested in having any sort of "online ministry".

However, we have a family who have moved to a remote location and for their sake we are looking into ways to record the services for them.

I tried an action camera, but the one I got records in short clips which then have to be joined by a separate program.

The quality is ok, and even the audio is good enough, but that post processing takes forever.

Then I looked into other options and I found a Logitech webcam that seemed to meet spec.

For around $100 I decided to try it, and it works fine.

It can record at 1080 HD, but for file size we record at 720 - looks fine.

It also has stereo mics built in, and it records the audio fine.

Best thing about it is that it records direct to the PC, so no transferring files by SD card, and it is fully controlled from my PC.

Now, it is not fantastic quality, partly because we have it mounted probably just beyond its range at about 12m away, but it is certainly usable and it is enough for our remote family.

When I get back to church I will post the model number for reference, but if you have a need to record video for your people it is a fairly cheap option to consider.

And that price is Aussie dollars so it will be cheaper for you in the US.

• Members

The unit we are using is a Logitech HD Pro Webcam c920

It is connected via a USB extension, but that does both power and data.

It comes with software that allows you to designate a save directory, zoom and pan, join to an email program to email direct, control various balance aspects of the image, and of course video resolution, quality, and framerate, and Mic quality etc.

It also has the ability to use an external mic through your computer to record into the video.

We don't use most of this functionality, as I just want it to record and am not interested in playing around.

This may not be the best of its kind, but it seems to be working for us, and it shows that other options are available than the big $ route of special (read expensive) cameras and set ups. There may be a better "Webcam" option from someone else, but this kind of thing can work fine. No Pro level mind you, but fine for our purposes.

I start it recording just before we start all ages Sunday School and keep it going right through the 10 min interval until the end of the main service - that way our remote people get to see the whole service and get to feel a little bit like they are there - and their kids get the SS songs, before the the kids here go out for their class. The adults stay in the main hall for our lessons.

And since we are recording audio and video on the same device the processing is kept to a minimum of clipping the start and end to include only the actual service times, but to delete any chatter before and after.

Now, just to make it very clear for everyone, I am not interested in becoming an online preacher.

That idea is actually against my basic conviction that we should be involved in our local church, and not looking for preachers elsewhere from where the Lord has placed us. I am not against visiting preachers, and to some extent not against "fellowship meetings" (where they do not encroach on the Independence of the local church), but I am against people posting the preaching to get a following.

We are hosting this privately and it will only be available by invitation, and it is only as a ministry to some of our people who are not able to be physically with us.