• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

air rifles

• Members

Squirrels are killing my flowers this year and really frustrating me.  I have had a few problems over the years but with my neighbor passing away a couple of years ago (he would trap them) the squirrels are breeding to fast and are really digging up my flowers this year.  I borrowed a Ruger Blackhawk Elite .177 Pellet Air Rifle with Scope and have not zeroed it in.  I am wondering if it is powerful enough to kill a squirrel.  I am on the very edge of town and cannot use my 22 rifle but the squirrels need to move or end up in my frying pan.  

the fps is around 1000 - 1200 which should be enough to kill at 25 yrds.  your thoughts?

Edited by Orval

• Members
40 minutes ago, Orval said:

Squirrels are killing my flowers this year and really frustrating me.  I have had a few problems over the years but with my neighbor passing away a couple of years ago (he would trap them) the squirrels are breeding to fast and are really digging up my flowers this year.  I borrowed a Ruger Blackhawk Elite .177 Pellet Air Rifle with Scope and have not zeroed it in.  I am wondering if it is powerful enough to kill a squirrel.  I am on the very edge of town and cannot use my 22 rifle but the squirrels need to move or end up in my frying pan.  

the fps is around 1000 - 1200 which should be enough to kill at 25 yrds.  your thoughts?

Head or chest, yes. Any other place you will be going through allot of pellets. Catch them on the ground if possible or they will dig into the tree bark and you will waste allot more pellets trying to knock them out of the trees and the meat will be ruined.

• Members
24 minutes ago, wretched said:

Head or chest, yes. Any other place you will be going through allot of pellets. Catch them on the ground if possible or they will dig into the tree bark and you will waste allot more pellets trying to knock them out of the trees and the meat will be ruined.

Thanks.  was not sure if I should take the time to zero the scope.  I definitely want one shot one kill but not as steady on the trigger as I once was.  ha.  the rifle seems a lot heavier than my 22 I would guess it weighs 7 to 10 lbs.  Thanks for the confirmation of where to shoot them.  The air rifle is a single shot breakdown pump but it is free as opposed to paying 150.00 for a decent vermin weapon. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

You should get a dog that hates squirrels.  My daughter has a dog who hates squirrels.  You just mention the word and she goes mad, rushing around the garden looking for them. 

lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, 1000 to 1200 fps is right up there with 9mm and .40 Smith & Wesson rounds. Of course those bullets are much larger than a .177 caliber pellet but they're also made for stopping a man, not a squirrel. Do zero it in for the distance and the ammo you will be shooting because projectiles drop at varying rates.