• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Government Controlled Gas Cans

• Members

The new style gas cans are touted to be better for the environment.

You know...less chance for spillage and so forth...

Well...let me vent here. :4_2_204v:

Oh wait...there are no vents on the cans.

Less chance of spillage? I spilled more gas in two weeks with the new style can than I did in 40 years with the old sane style.

It takes twisting and pushing the spout, standing on one foot and using your other foot to counter the inertia built up from the force needed to twist and push the spout, closing one eye while holding your breath for 20 seconds, reciting paragraph 89 of Subsection 101.e3b of Section 673.89 under Heading 809b of the EPA's General Rules and Guidelines for Environmental Safety Protocols Regarding the Citizens' Fair Use of Liquid Dispensers...and then twisting and pushing the spout some more. Only then, will the gas finally flow out of the can, into the tank, and overflow onto the ground due to the "safety mechanisms" not releasing any more easily than it took to engage them.

I hope I'm not arrested for this, but I uncustomized their customized gas can. Oh...and it now has a vent too. Hence my ability to vent here after all. :laugh:

• Administrators

Yes, these new gas cans are ridiculous as well as extremely expensive. To make matter worse the powers that be have banned all sales and manufacturing of the older, slim spouts. The older slim spouts would fit into the smaller hole in newer vehicle gas tanks, but these newer ones will not. How is this helping the problem of spilling gas?

Even if you could buy the older slim spouts the thread on the cap is different than the newer ones and will not thread on to the can. So, now we are "forced" to buy a new can even if it is just the spout that breaks. Everyone's older gas containers are rendered useless and must be discarded for the newer ones that just do not work.

• Moderators

Yes, I completely remove the cap and fill-spout-thing, and use a long funnel. I also poke a hole at the back of the handle and plug it when it is being moved full, open it to let it vent and pour smoothly. You'll be an hour emptying five gallons the 'approved' way.

• Administrators

I'm not sure about that Rebecca. I live in California and as we all know, all this kind of nonsense always starts here in California.

The new "better" containers have a very short spout with a "restraint" on the tip to keep the cap in place. Because of this you cannot get the spout to open the little flap in your gas tank. The older, slim spouts were long and flexible, allowing you ti bend the spout into the tank fill hole before tipping the can to dispense the gas. No spilling involved.

I am going to start a new thread that deals with another ridiculous law that originated in California and will soon spread nation-wide.

• Members

I bought a new gas can a few months back and I guess it's one of these new ones.  I hate that thing (are we allowed to hate an inanimate object?).  It's a righteous hate, does that count for anything?  Anyways, I digress.  As others have mentioned, I spill more with this one than with any I've had before.  I guess some bureaucrat somewhere, who never uses a gas can because he pays people to cut his lawn, decided it was a good idea.