What are you currently reading?

SweetCharity

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
On 2016/11/29 at 11:42 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I like to read material from religious sects to see what makes them tick. I usually stick to sects that I come in contact with on occasion. JW's are the most prevalent in my area. And the other is "What the bible really teaches."

It is nothing short of amazing how tortured their teaching is, as well as their perversion of scripture, due to having to publish their own bible version to justify what they believe.

Jim,

The J.W.'s are very prevalent in our areas also. I quote from "What the bible really teaches," using the Chinese translation, and show the congregation from the Bible what the Bible really teaches. It has been very effective in helping our folks understand true doctrine and the blatantly false teaching of the J. W.'s

Brethren,

Currently, I am reading, "We Can Have Revival Now," by John R. Rice. "We Can have Revival Now," was originally a series of lectures by John R. Rice given at Bob Jones University in February 1950. The book was then printed by Bob Jones University, September, 1950

"We Can Have Revival Now,"  is an excellent book and I recommend it heartedly. 

Alan

• Moderators
2 hours ago, whisperingsage said:

I have a need for some brain storming. Since you listened to the 7 habits, I appreciate the ideals but am having a hard time figuring out how to apply some, which i feel we need to do to build the team that is our small church. Some here are familiar with a subject I brought up recently and got some flak for. Here's my question: when this 25 yr old comes to church ( first one there usually, way early for I don't know what reason) in either a proper skirt but with cleavage ballooning out, or , alternatively, a proper top but with too tight pants or shorts. Or too tight all over, how do I word it to be edifying? My example I just looked at in the 7 habits of highly effective families: a husband comes home greated by his 3 yr old who announces " hi Dad, I'm a hard-working man!". He finds out he tried to wash dishes with jug water from the fridge, making a huge mess. Mom asks a series of questions finding out his motives instead of yelling at him and making him feel bad. Makes suggestions like " how about next time you ask me to pull the chair over so you can reach the sink? ". Child happy, no guilt or iffense taken.

What could I say that would support a behavioral change in this girl that would avoid making her feel offended? This is the main issue.

WhisperingSage, I'm going to move this to its own thread, just to help this thread stay on topic. :-)

50 minutes ago, Salyan said:

WhisperingSage, I'm going to move this to its own thread, just to help this thread stay on topic. :-)

we are a long way from reading A.W. Pink.  Thanks for moving the thread.

I'm taking a break from Tozer and just began to read The Flying Tigers, by John Toland. I read this book nearly 50 years ago.

Also, I'm reading/studying with my wife, The Christian Home, by Clarence Sexton.

Aside from Proverbs, referencing "US Warbirds".

Just interested in that sort of stuff and looking over a few things again..

I love the classics in general, but I find I don't care for Hawthorn in particular. Too shallow. He has nothing to say, although he says it very well. Huh?

Anyway, my daughter bought me a new book by the Civil War historian Shelby Foote, so I will be starting that now.

• Lady Administrators
30 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

I love the classics in general, but I find I don't care for Hawthorn in particular. Too shallow. He has nothing to say, although he says it very well. Huh?

Anyway, my daughter bought me a new book by the Civil War historian Shelby Foote, so I will be starting that now.

Have you read The Scarlet Letter? I am reading it again with my niece for school. I love the way he has written it, in such detail, but her education up until 9th grade was in a public school. She has neither the comprehension nor the vocabulary to read it without constant explanation. So it is taking more time than I really wanted to take for it.  While he uses a lot of verbiage and could be much more succinct, I think it's been good for her to have to try and work through it. It's actually a good lesson on hypocrisy. But I agree - I'm not too impressed with his short stories. Although I have an OLD copy of it that I keep more for the value of the book than the contents. =D

8 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Have you read The Scarlet Letter? I am reading it again with my niece for school. I love the way he has written it, in such detail, but her education up until 9th grade was in a public school. She has neither the comprehension nor the vocabulary to read it without constant explanation. So it is taking more time than I really wanted to take for it.  While he uses a lot of verbiage and could be much more succinct, I think it's been good for her to have to try and work through it. It's actually a good lesson on hypocrisy. But I agree - I'm not too impressed with his short stories. Although I have an OLD copy of it that I keep more for the value of the book than the contents. =D

I believe I read The Scarlet Letter years ago. Of his short stories, "The Great Stone Face" is the only one I find to have any insight to it, and even that is probably not the insight he was trying to convey. After years of reading Kipling, O. Henry and London, few writers of short stories ever measure up. For me, Jack London's "To Build a Fire" is the standard for short stories by which all others are judged.

• Advanced Member
32 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Loved Scarlett Letter. I haven't read it since I was a teen--should pick it up again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to read HOW TO BRING MEN TO CHRIST, by R. A. TORREY. I purchased the book but, it has been "updated for the modern reader" so, I'm reading the original from the internet. 

Archived