• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are you currently reading?

• Members
9 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

LOL! No hatred whatsoever.

Let's see...

I don't see a bit of hatred in those words at all. I see information.

I'm simply just letting people know that Pink is a Calvinist. I've seen unknowing non-Calvinists receive Pink's books freely, because his books were "recommended and given to them" by others. I'm just letting people know what you're recommending (by default). If they want to read Pink's books, that's their prerogative...but at least now they know a little more than those whom I saw gladly accept his books like a kid on Christmas...because someone they trusted and respected gave the books to them. 

Indeed. I have read and am willing to read A. W. Pink's writings (even as I have read and am willing to read other Calvinist's writings), and indeed it is accurate to indicate that A. W. Pink was a proponent of the Calvinistic system.  In fact, I believe that A. W. Pink would have acknowledged that very truth concerning himself, without possessing any "hatred" toward himself in so doing.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
8 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Pointing out that A.W. Pink is a Calvinist is far from "hatred", it is simply an observation.

You have accused others here of "hatred" for simply expressing an opinion different from yours. 

No I've pointed out their hatred for expressing their opinions in a vitriolic fashion and directing scorn upon a specific group of people and against me personally for trying to defend that group. 

Most people outside of this place are able to express different opinions politely and respectfully. I belong to a couple of Christian Facebook groups that include both Calvinists and Arminians.

There there's some good natured ribbing but it's all in fun and we all understand that we're brothers and sisters in Christ. Here it's just ugly. People repeatedly slander Calvinists to the point that I was told that even though I'm not a Calvinist I'm not saved because I defend Calvinists.  

If this is the fruit Arminianism produces then I have to wonder why anybody in his right ind would want to be an Arminian. 

But if I didn't understand why IFBs have the reputation they have before I sure do now.

Now can we please just have a friendly conversation about what books we're reading. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

No I've pointed out their hatred for expressing their opinions in a vitriolic fashion and directing scorn upon a specific group of people and against me personally for trying to defend that group. 

Most people outside of this place are able to express different opinions politely and respectfully. I belong to a couple of Christian Facebook groups that include both Calvinists and Arminians.

There there's some good natured ribbing but it's all in fun and we all understand that we're brothers and sisters in Christ. Here it's just ugly. People repeatedly slander Calvinists to the point that I was told that even though I'm not a Calvinist I'm not saved because I defend Calvinists.  

If this is the fruit Arminianism produces then I have to wonder why anybody in his right ind would want to be an Arminian. 

But if I didn't understand why IFBs have the reputation they have before I sure do now.

Now can we please just have a friendly conversation about what books we're reading. 

Sir, you were the one who started out showing vitriol and scorn. I was respectful, DaveW was respectful, et al. 

Here, you show your misunderstanding of who we are. We are neither Calvinists nor Arminians. Both groups have things that we agree with, yet both miss the mark in the end. To quantify us as Arminians shows that your are biased and unlearned in your understanding. 

If you want to have a friendly conversation, then you must needs reflect upon how you yourself have responded. You have neither answered questions nor explained Calvinism as you said you would. Rather, you have taken the low road in how YOU respond to US. You came here...we didn't come to you.

• Members
27 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

There there's some good natured ribbing but it's all in fun and we all understand that we're brothers and sisters in Christ.

One last point of reference...

In your response to Orval's question in the MacArthur thread, you gave your testimony in response to his question.

In regard to that response, I would think that you...of all people...would have an understanding and compassion (based on your own experience) to show us where we are wrong in our understanding of Calvinism. Yet, you have failed to do so. Rather than drawing from your own pre-Calvinistic preconceived ideas regarding Calvinism (in order to better our understanding regarding Calvinism), you resorted to the same old tired and convoluted diatribes that are so often ascribed to debates...shame your opponent, mock their intelligence, and give vague and condescending answers that really aren't answers at all.

Shame on you.

• Members
40 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

Actually D-28 I left a well known forum after being a member for ten years because the Calvinists could not speak kindly to anyone apart from those in their own camp.  What was a thriving community of open communication has now become a grave yard filled Reformed theological bones.  I find the folks here much more kind toward views everyone does not embrace.  Even you are not as abrasive as those I have engaged on the other forum.    

Edited by Orval

• Members
3 minutes ago, Orval said:

Actually D-28 I left a well known forum after being a member for ten years because the Calvinists could not speak kindly to anyone apart from those in their own camp.  What was a thriving community of open communication has now become a grave yard filled Reformed theological bones.  I find the folks here much more kind toward views everyone does not embrace.  Even you are ot as abrasive as those I have on the other forum.    

I'm sorry somebody was mean to you. If true, they were wrong to do that. However, seeing how you all treat people here, I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for you. You find the people here "kind" because you agree with them. You don't even have to be a Calvinist. Just defend a Calvinist and lets see how "kind" they are to you.

Now is this forum about books we're reading or not?

• Members

I am currently reading Brother Scott Markle's book God's Wisdom for Marriage and the Home.  I have found it to be very informative and an excellent foundation book for teaching.  My wife and I are considering taking one chapter per week and using it to challenge ourselves in understanding one another better.  BTW we have been married 47 years.

5 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

I'm sorry somebody was mean to you. If true, they were wrong to do that. However, seeing how you all treat people here, I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for you. You find the people here "kind" because you agree with them. You don't even have to be a Calvinist. Just defend a Calvinist and lets see how "kind" they are to you.

Now is this forum about books we're reading or not?

There was no reason for your response to me to be so arrogantly defiant. 

• Members
14 minutes ago, Orval said:

There was no reason for your response to me to be so arrogantly defiant. 

Given that you went on to intentionally lie about my beliefs and by extension the teachings of Calvinism which you insist I hold to I don't think I was nearly defiant enough 

• Members
20 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

You find the people here "kind" because you agree with them.

Just for your information...

Orval has presented some views that others here don't necessarily agree with. No one attacked him...no one shamed him...and no one mocked his intelligence or understanding of scripture. 

2 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

Given that you went on to intentionally lie about my beliefs and by extension the teachings of Calvinism which you insist I hold to I don't think I was nearly defiant enough 

Then why haven't you done as you said you would...answer questions and explain Calvinism? Your continuous refusal to do so only serves to make you look as though you have only one purpose here...to cause division and stir up strife.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2016/11/29 at 11:42 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I like to read material from religious sects to see what makes them tick. I usually stick to sects that I come in contact with on occasion. JW's are the most prevalent in my area. And the other is "What the bible really teaches."

It is nothing short of amazing how tortured their teaching is, as well as their perversion of scripture, due to having to publish their own bible version to justify what they believe.

Jim,

The J.W.'s are very prevalent in our areas also. I quote from "What the bible really teaches," using the Chinese translation, and show the congregation from the Bible what the Bible really teaches. It has been very effective in helping our folks understand true doctrine and the blatantly false teaching of the J. W.'s

Brethren,

Currently, I am reading, "We Can Have Revival Now," by John R. Rice. "We Can have Revival Now," was originally a series of lectures by John R. Rice given at Bob Jones University in February 1950. The book was then printed by Bob Jones University, September, 1950

"We Can Have Revival Now,"  is an excellent book and I recommend it heartedly. 

Alan

• Moderators
2 hours ago, whisperingsage said:

I have a need for some brain storming. Since you listened to the 7 habits, I appreciate the ideals but am having a hard time figuring out how to apply some, which i feel we need to do to build the team that is our small church. Some here are familiar with a subject I brought up recently and got some flak for. Here's my question: when this 25 yr old comes to church ( first one there usually, way early for I don't know what reason) in either a proper skirt but with cleavage ballooning out, or , alternatively, a proper top but with too tight pants or shorts. Or too tight all over, how do I word it to be edifying? My example I just looked at in the 7 habits of highly effective families: a husband comes home greated by his 3 yr old who announces " hi Dad, I'm a hard-working man!". He finds out he tried to wash dishes with jug water from the fridge, making a huge mess. Mom asks a series of questions finding out his motives instead of yelling at him and making him feel bad. Makes suggestions like " how about next time you ask me to pull the chair over so you can reach the sink? ". Child happy, no guilt or iffense taken.

What could I say that would support a behavioral change in this girl that would avoid making her feel offended? This is the main issue.

WhisperingSage, I'm going to move this to its own thread, just to help this thread stay on topic. :-)

• Members
50 minutes ago, Salyan said:

WhisperingSage, I'm going to move this to its own thread, just to help this thread stay on topic. :-)

we are a long way from reading A.W. Pink.  Thanks for moving the thread.