• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are you currently reading?

• Members

For all of us nerdy book lovers, what are you currently reading?

I'm reading "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson. It's little umm... not Christian. Either my grandma or my aunt gave it to me (neither is a Christian) and I had no idea what it was about until I got so far into it. :ooops

Guest Guest

WOMEN WHO CHANGED THE HEART OF THE CITY---The Untold Story of the City Rescue Mission Movement---By: Delores T. Burger. Kregal Publications.

On the back cover ~

In the 1870's evangelist D.L. Moody challenged Christians to care for the lost souls of America's cities. Forty years later, there were over five hundred city rescue missions in the U.S. and Canada. Prominent in this movement were courageous, yet seldom recognized, women who tackled the worst social problems of the day while maintaining a household, raising children, and supporting their husbands' ministries.

"This book, written by my friend and a choice servant of Christ, should encourage, inspire, and provide a powerful apologetic to secular society on the importance of the Christian faith lived out by caring people."
~ Charles W. Colson
Prison Fellowship Ministries

"The significant ministry of rescue missions across our nation and Western world is one of the untold stories of our day. Few of us realize the tremendous influence of courageous, godly women in these missions."
~ Ted W. Engstrom
President Emeritus, World Vision

Guest Guest

I'm on bed rest so I am doing a lot of reading.

I just finished "The Lights of Tenth Street" by Shaunti Feldhahn. I don't read much Christian fiction because I don't appreciate love stories with Christian words thrown in, but this book didn't have any romance and it was totally awesome.

I'm also reading:
"For Women Only" by Shaunti Feldhahn and it is a real eye opener!
"The Death of Biblical Doctrine" by Dr Peter Ruckman
"The Marketing of Evil" by David Kupelian.

I have two on my list to read as soon as I receive them in the mail:
"The Veritas Project" by Shaunti Feldhahn
"The Illuminati" by Larry Burkett (I have read "The Thor Conspiracy" by him and it was AWESOME...this is the kind of Christian fiction I like).

• Administrators
I'm on bed rest so I am doing a lot of reading.

I just finished "The Lights of Tenth Street" by Shaunti Feldhahn. I don't read much Christian fiction because I don't appreciate love stories with Christian words thrown in I agree - it makes me crazy!!, but this book didn't have any romance and it was totally awesome.

I'm also reading:
"For Women Only" by Shaunti Feldhahn and it is a real eye opener! This is one of the books quoted in a book I read that I am aiming to read one day!
"The Death of Biblical Doctrine" by Dr Peter Ruckman
"The Marketing of Evil" by David Kupelian.

I have two on my list to read as soon as I receive them in the mail:
"The Veritas Project" by Shaunti Feldhahn
"The Illuminati" by Larry Burkett (I have read "The Thor Conspiracy" by him and it was AWESOME...this is the kind of Christian fiction I like).Me, too!

• Members

The Revelation of Jesus Christ by John Valwoord
The Soul-Winner by C.H. Spurgeon
Nevertheless I live by Steve Currington
The Blessings of Obedience by Andrew Murray
Grace: God's Unmerited Favor by C.H. Spurgeon

Christian Fiction is often ridiculous, especially Christian Romance I think it was the stupidest genre of writing ever created. I feel like I am wasting brain power when I read those things. Yik. I'd rather read something that will cause my brain to move and think.

• Administrators
The Revelation of Jesus Christ by John Valwoord
The Soul-Winner by C.H. Spurgeon
Nevertheless I live by Steve Currington
The Blessings of Obedience by Andrew Murray
Grace: God's Unmerited Favor by C.H. Spurgeon

Christian Fiction is often ridiculous, especially Christian Romance I think it was the stupidest genre of writing ever created. I feel like I am wasting brain power when I read those things. Yik. I'd rather read something that will cause my brain to move and think.

Yes, much of Christian fiction is ridiculous, but not all of it. There are some books out there that are great. I prefer suspense, and most of those are good. Not all. There are some others that deal with topics in a scriptural way. I read one that dealt with Alzheimer's in a very good way. That same author writes about other topics as well. Can't remember her name right now, though.

The Christian romance is nothing but romance with a little God thrown in, as Katey-Anne said. I don't like romance books anyway, but these really bother me. I see so many teen-aged girls reading them and getting a warped view on love and marriage...and I can name some that tried to live out the books and have ruined their lives. :badday:

Guest Guest

Some Christian fiction can make you think...SOME...not that romance stuff though, I do agree that that is a wasted genre and wasted paper.

For instance, Francine River's book "The Atonement Child" is awesome...it's about a girl who is being pressured to have an abortion and the church tells her it is ok because the child is a result of rape. She comes to find out that her mother had an abortion and her grandmother had an abortion and that's why they are pressuring her to have one. She decides to keep the baby regardless. It's a story that forces you to think about abortion and it's consequences, and to also think about the advice you give others.

Be back later...Jebediah wants his mama.